Volunteering at a vet's office or part-time kennel assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tmss011223344

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have the option of volunteering at a vet's office doing basically the same thing that I would be doing as a kennel assistant but I am also shadowing the veterinarian (which I already started doing) or should I work as a part-time kennel assistant at a location that is 1.5 hours away each way. I could use the extra money but I don't want to go all the way over to the kennel job if it is going to look less than a volunteer position with a vet. What do you guys think?
 
How much is that part time kennel job paying (rhetorical question, I don't need to know the exact answer)? Gas is expensive. If you're spending all your money on gas, you'll be at essentially $0 anyway, so in that case it'd be better to just shadow.
 
There are other threads about this topic. However, it depends on what your hours look like. IMO I would get as much clinical/vet experience as possible unless your animal experience is really lacking.