Volunteering at a vet's office or part-time kennel assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmss011223344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the option of volunteering at a vet's office doing basically the same thing that I would be doing as a kennel assistant but I am also shadowing the veterinarian (which I already started doing) or should I work as a part-time kennel assistant at a location that is 1.5 hours away each way. I could use the extra money but I don't want to go all the way over to the kennel job if it is going to look less than a volunteer position with a vet. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

How much is that part time kennel job paying (rhetorical question, I don't need to know the exact answer)? Gas is expensive. If you're spending all your money on gas, you'll be at essentially $0 anyway, so in that case it'd be better to just shadow.

There are other threads about this topic. However, it depends on what your hours look like. IMO I would get as much clinical/vet experience as possible unless your animal experience is really lacking.