Sep 21, 2010
Status
Is volunteering at an Alzheimer Center looking after Alzheimer afflicted individuals consider clinical hours? The reason I am asking is because it's not in a hospital and there aren't doctors around. Not a lot of "clinical" activities since it is a day care for Alzheimer patients but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case I am wrong.

Evergrey

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I don't think it is a replacement for getting some inpatient experience around physicians, so maybe you can spend a year or two volunteering within a hospital setting. However, depending on the activities you do, that could be a much more beneficial experience for your personal development (and, subsequently, for your application).

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just because physicians aren't around doesn't mean that clincal care isn't being extended to the individuals. I'm sure there's plenty of nurses around who are carrying for those individuals. Your work is definitely clinical. It's more clinical than my volunteer desk work at the ICU, and I see physicians and residents all day long. You'll have something to talk about when it comes to patient care, that's for sure. :thumbup:

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
An Alzheimer's Unit is a clinical environment. Doctors do round in nursing-home type residential facilities, though not often, but probably not in a daycare-only unit. Alzheimer's patients, being generally older, are likely to have other medical conditions as well, that will need to be considered when you're providing care. IMO, it is a clinical experience.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Alzheimer's day caren, IMHO, is not clinical care so Catalystik and I disagree and you are likely to find disagreement among adcom members on this subject.

Alzheimer's patients go about their lives in daycare setting where they enjoy music, exercise, conversations, & meals and may get personal care services such as foot care and hairdressing. Just because someone has a chronic illness, their every waking moment is not "clinical care". (If someone is vent dependent, etc, that's a different story and a very different setting).

It would be like saying that pre-school is clinical because the little people there are seen regularly by their pediatricians and some of them have chronic conditions such as asthma and allergies for which they get treatments.