Volunteering During COVID [Advice]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DubL

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for ways to volunteer during COVID as I need hours and was hoping to start building some now. I have emailed local volunteer locations and volunteering organizations all have denied me due to COVID. I turned towards online volunteering and I've only seen volunteer opportunities like hotlines for people with mental health issues which is too close to home and I don't think I would be able to do. The only other online opportunity I saw was transcribing documents but it isn't very meaningful and is rather difficult to do with few opportunities on the websites.
I was wondering if anyone else knows how I could get some volunteer hours. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you heard of Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS)/have one in your area?

For those who don't know what BBBS is - it's a program where you are matched with a little brother/sister and you spend a few hours each month doing various activities with them. For all the men out there - they are especially in need of male mentors. I'm pretty sure they are still taking new volunteers with COVID and you can still do socially distanced or virtual activities. Having a role model and someone to hang out with really makes a difference for these kids. Also, having mentorship experience looks really good on applications and you may end up with inspiring or life changing stories and experiences to share. Hope this helps!

I'm volunteering with the local branch of the Medical Reserve Corps- maybe there is a unit in your area? I believe they are nationwide. It helped that I volunteered with them in the past (2017) but it seemed like they were happy to welcome new members (even non-medical like me) to assist in the community response of COVID. I did things like deliver PPE, do grocery runs for elderly, do health screenings at elder care facilities, assist at flu clinics and more.

Do you have a previous relationship with any volunteer organization/ someone who can connect you to one? That might be a good place to start as well