Volunteering Efforts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harvardpremed

Marshall L. Wilkinson
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about volunteering at the student run homeless shelter just outside of campus. I hear that it's a great experience and that their is different departments of which you can volunteer (health services.) I'm not sure what holds more weight to HMS or any school, campus run volunteer activities or off campus EMS, Mass General type volunteering or both?

What do you think? Does anyone know of other volunteer opp's in the area?

Members don't see this ad.

harvardpremed said:
I was thinking about volunteering at the student run homeless shelter just outside of campus. I hear that it's a great experience and that their is different departments of which you can volunteer (health services.) I'm not sure what holds more weight to HMS or any school, campus run volunteer activities or off campus EMS, Mass General type volunteering or both?

What do you think? Does anyone know of other volunteer opp's in the area?

the more volunteer work the better

Volunteering with the homeless shelter sounds like it could be alot of fun. When it comes to volunteering it doesn't so much matter where so much as you got something out of it: learned something, matured a little, etc. Do what what YOU think would be the most fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do what you want to do. In my (limited) experience, the people who design their activities around getting into a particular school, or any school, generally have little success. Schools aren't stupid--they know if you are a pre-med drone seeking their approval, and they don't approve. Do you own thing and you'll be rewarded. Oh, and look beyond Harvard.

I agree with Benjo, do service because you want to do it, not because you think it may look good on paper. In your interviews you may be asked why you chose a certain activity, and what you got out of it...and you don't want to be left saying, "uh, cuz I thought you guys would like it...". A place like a homeless shelter needs people who are dedicated to the service they are providing and nothing more...not simply using the guests and the experience for their own benefit (eg. med school acceptance). Just choose activities that interest you and that you're passionate about and it will all work out... :)

every fall at the Harvard School of Public Health (Longwood Campus) there is a community service fair where a bunch of local places will set up booths and share information on how to help them out. Try to find out when they will be there this fall and head over to talk to some people.

Also, this is not medically related - but for a GREAT opportunity check out Literacy Volunteeers of Massachusetts. This is a supberb organization set-up to help adults learn to read, they are always looking for volunteers and provide all necessary training. For more info: http://www.volunteersolutions.org/boston/org/213187.html

There is also an HIV clinic in the Fenway (the name is something real obvious, but I can't recall it) - they are always looking for help. Just do a google search.

Again (to echo other's advice), don't gear your undergrad career towards what you think HMS will want...gear it towards what you are interested in!

Thanks Guy's I appreciate your input. I do agree, volunteer efforts should not be coordinated for the aesthetic value of a medical school application. It makes absolute sense. I honestly didn't know if med school had a preference, but now I do. Thanks.

If anyone knows of anymore opportunities in Cambridge/Boston area let me know. Thank you.