volunteering for a vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magentacat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am desperate for someone's help because I am a late bloomer in this whole vet thing and need experience ASAP. This summer is my only "full time" chance.

I am about to start applying for vet office jobs as an assistant hopefully, but of course I am worried that I will not get it because I have no experience and am available full time only in the summer, so yeah I doubt anyone would want to train me and only have me there full time for 3 months.

I've been looking into volunteering opportunities for a vet but there do not seem to be any. I haven't actually gone to a vet to ask about it.

1. I was wondering if anyone here who has worked for a vet know if there is such a thing as volunteering at a vet's office?

2. I was thinking of asking to shadow a vet first, and then talk about job/volunteer/whatever, but I do not even have any ideas how to ask! Vets are busy people. :S. Should i call first? What do I say when I call? "Hey..............etc etc... do you have any shadowing/volunteering opportunities?" :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Call all the vet clinics in your area and explain to them that you are looking to volunteer because you want to get experience for vet school etc. Most clinics are very understanding about this, and it is definately not uncommon to volunteer or shadow. I've worked at 3 vet clinics, and shadowed/volunteered at 3 others.

You are right about possibly not being hired due to the time you can commit and it being quite late in the season- but it never hurts to try!! But don't turn down a job offer if they offer you reception or kennel student- anything is a ticket in!!

I would definitely call around to the various veterinary clinics in your area, and find out if they need any volunteers...If so, ask when would be a good time to drop off your resume (Most volunteers at my clinic give resumes) and when you do, make sure to talk to the head tech or if possible the vet...Let them know that you're interested in veterinary medicine, that while you don't have experience (although if you have pets, def say that you have handling experience with that species), you are eager to learn, etc. Then about a week after dropping it off, call and ask if you could make an appointment to discuss volunteering with them...I don't know, I don't see why a vet clinic wouldn't want volunteers...free labour! :p

Keep in mind though, that while volunteering, you will most likely start at the bottom. Meaning cleaning cages, laundry, stocking supplies, walking dogs, etc. But anything helps, and when they see you working hard, they'll most likely give you more 'advanced' things to do...

Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I was wondering if anyone here who has worked for a vet know if there is such a thing as volunteering at a vet's office?

2. I was thinking of asking to shadow a vet first, and then talk about job/volunteer/whatever, but I do not even have any ideas how to ask! Vets are busy people. :S. Should i call first? What do I say when I call? "Hey..............etc etc... do you have any shadowing/volunteering opportunities?" :confused:
1. I have been volunteering/interning/shadowing a vet since last May when I was in a similar situation as you. I went into a local vet office that my mom and I had used for our horses and said basically what you are saying, I need experience but also added I was not looking to get paid just experience. Now I fill in whenever someone is out of town (for actual $) but still volunteer a lot, and get to do more than most of the techs!
2. I would bring a resume, a letter of what you are looking for and talk to a vet in person then either follow up or set up another time to meet. Most vets are more than willing to help with your goals:)

Yup to what everyone else said. I started shadowing a vet last October. Basically he is our vet for our rabbits and since I'm interested in exotics, one time while I was in the room for a check-up, I asked him if he ever took on students who were interested in pursuing vet med. He said he would be more than willing to have me come in and just asked that I give him a few days notice before I wanted to start. Since I work full time he told me the "best" days to come...Wednesdays is his surgery day for example so I get to see some cool stuff and its been great!

I personally didn't think far enough ahead to bring a resume or anything, I basically just asked him, but he has been my vet for about 5 years now. When I go to another practice I will bring a resume and follow everyone elses advice on here