Volunteering in various healthcare settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CycleGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This summer I have been shadowing/volunteering in various fields in attempt to figure out what I want to do with my life. Everywhere from podiatry to physical therapy to patent law.

I have been volunteering on a regular basis at a PT clinic as a PT Tech. I help patients through their exercises, get hot pads, towels, wipe down tables, heat and stim, and ultrasound--whatever they need me to do.

I really love PT and what I am doing, but I have found that it is just not what I want to do for a career. I want to be very challenged and have a demanding job.

Basically, through this summer, I have matured a lot and grown a lot, and now I am much more clear on what I want to do and achieve in life: being a physician is the career path I have chosen to take.

My question is, should I list all of these hours in the PT clinic on my application for med school? Could these apply as volunteer, or even clinical hours? Or should I stay away from listing these since it is an app for medical school? I just feel like I should list them, especially because they were a crucial part in me maturing as an individual and in learning what I want to do with my life.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course list it!!! Not all volunteering has to be in a hospital or medically related.

My question is, should I list all of these hours in the PT clinic on my application for med school? Could these apply as volunteer, or even clinical hours? Or should I stay away from listing these since it is an app for medical school? I just feel like I should list them, especially because they were a crucial part in me maturing as an individual and in learning what I want to do with my life.
I would list it as a volunteer clinical experience. You are working with patients and helping provide physician-ordered therapy. It's better than delivering patients' dinner trays in a hospital, as I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would list it as a volunteer clinical experience. You are working with patients and helping provide physician-ordered therapy. It's better than delivering patients' dinner trays in a hospital, as I did.

Would this be looked down upon though, or not favored, since it is in physical therapy--a different setting? As if I was volunteering because I wanted to go to PT school.

Would this be looked down upon though, or not favored, since it is in physical therapy--a different setting? As if I was volunteering because I wanted to go to PT school.
no because your volunteering your time to help people

I wouldn't state that you only did this explicitly for PT school, but I would think that it would be looked favorably upon. It's something different than the usual things they see and will set you apart (even if only a little).

I agree with Narmerguy. It's a great experience as you actually helped people in a meaningful way.