Volunteering options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMKC13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Freshman, and I'd like to get a jumpstart on my extracurriculars. Recently, I began working at a hospital as a Certified Nurse Assistant. I'd like to carry these skills over to a volunteer opportunity that would let me exercise my abilities.

The amount of patient contact that volunteers get at hospitals is very minimal around here. (I was a hospital volunteer 2 summers ago). So I've kind of ruled that out. However, I did find a clinic that staffs volunteer physicians, pharmacists, dentists, etc (including CNA's).

My concern is, would it "look" okay to adcoms for me to work as a CNA and volunteer as one? I don't want it to be seen as me taking the "easy" way out. But it would certainly cover the clinical/volunteering aspect.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Being a CNA gives you clinical exposure and proximity to physicians.

Volunteering gives you an opportunity to serve an unmet need in the community. Providing your services as a CNA is OK but it isn't your only option. You could do something else that provides evidence of service to the community including tutoring poor children or illiterate adults, recruiting blood donors, answering calls to a suicide hotline, & coaching or leading children or teens in a sport or scouting program. Given your interests and skills, find something you would enjoy doing as a service to others.