Dec 15, 2010
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, I've just finished my Fall semester of my sophomore year and I have yet to get the ball rolling on shadowing. I've looked and called many places but no one in my area really offers shadowing. I would really like to shadow a doctor in a hospital. I've heard that I should contact the doctor directly and try to set up shadowing him/her. Do y'all have any suggestions on how to set a shadowing and where to look for a good long term shadowing position?? Please Help!!!! Thanks!

SnoopyMD

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
The only problem you might run into with contacting the physicians directly is that the hospitals oftentimes have shadowing policies that involve going through the hospital for confidentiality agreements, etc. It is of course best to talk to the physician first, just know that it won't necessarily be the only step in the process.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Please...search...

Jun 15, 2010
WA
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, I've just finished my Fall semester of my sophomore year and I have yet to get the ball rolling on shadowing. I've looked and called many places but no one in my area really offers shadowing. I would really like to shadow a doctor in a hospital. I've heard that I should contact the doctor directly and try to set up shadowing him/her. Do y'all have any suggestions on how to set a shadowing and where to look for a good long term shadowing position?? Please Help!!!! Thanks!
It would be ideal to shadow someone in a hospital but if you've tried that to no avail due to privacy policies, etc. you may want to try searching for and emailing a physician in private practice. Although privacy issues would still apply, you would have less administrative hoop jumping to go through, and the physician would have more control over whether or not (s)he'll accept you for shadowing.

Rustifer

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Check with friends and family. I asked around and my sister talked to her primary care physician for me. Her doctor was very open to the idea and just asked that I send an email so it could be worked out.