Volunteering that received course credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted966906

I took a course that required me to volunteer at a nursing home and entertain/talk/pass out food for the elderly. I was wondering if this can count as volunteering hours even though I received course credit for doing this activity?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a course that required me to volunteer at a nursing home and entertain/talk/pass out food for the elderly. I was wondering if this can count as volunteering hours even though I received course credit for doing this activity?
You took the class voluntarily, right? If so, then yes, you can count it as nonmedical community service on your med school application.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd check schools that have a heavy focus on volunteering. For example, according to VCU, "applicants should demonstrate a commitment to the community by involving themselves in service and volunteer activities. Work performed in service learning courses and community service performed as part of employment does not satisfy this requirement."
This is for VCU. And it doesn't specify classes that have a component of volunteering, not classes meant to do volunteering. So I'd email schools to confirm if it can count.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You took the class voluntarily, right? If so, then yes, you can count it as nonmedical community service on your med school application.
The class is required for my degree, but I picked the activities in the class voluntarily. For example, I had the opportunity to serve or do a variety of different community projects/settings, but I chose the nursing home setting.

This is a fine line to walk. Required to take = not volunteering to me, even if you choose where to 'volunteer'. I would make sure you have ample other clinical and non-clinical volunteering (150+ of each) in addition to these hours.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The class is required for my degree, but I picked the activities in the class voluntarily. For example, I had the opportunity to serve or do a variety of different community projects/settings, but I chose the nursing home setting.
I used to be more hardcore about this sort of inducement to "volunteer, " but then I discovered other adcomms didn't differentiate them at all, so I course-corrected to my current opinion.

• Wow

Continue to volunteer with the groups for a decent amount of time after the course ends and include the course hours. I doubt anyone will notice or care.

Serving your community + not getting paid = volunteering experience. If people who do science research for credit (ie. independent study) can list it as a research experience than you should have no problem listing this as a community service/volunteering experience.

Serving your community + not getting paid = volunteering experience. If people who do science research for credit (ie. independent study) can list it as a research experience than you should have no problem listing this as a community service/volunteering experience.

But compensation isn't always monetary and the word "research" is neutral while the word "volunteering" definitely implies that something is not compulsory and done by free will.

• Haha
What I'm getting from the VCU stipulation is that activities undertaken as part of your requirements of the degree are not enough, by themselves, to cover the expectation that you have engaged in community service as a volunteer.

Reactions: 1 user