Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

volunteering

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by camisho, Mar 25, 2004.

1. camisho

camisho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How do adcoms view volunteering at nursing homes? Is this considered relevant, health-related volunteering, something that they like to see? Or am I way off? I have pretty decent prior volunteering at medical facilities, and tutoring (non-medical), but it was all very early in my college career and I haven't done anything quite as health related in about 2 years. I figure I should try to get in at least a couple of months of volunteering (looks like it will be the nursing home, which is cool) before I graduate and submit my AMCAS. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. camisho

camisho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you will be fine.

5. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that showing commitment to your volunteer activity is far more important than what the activity actually is. If you stopped volunteering at the nursing home now to go spend one month doing stuff in an ER, or something like that, that would probably hurt your application more than help it.