Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmabella3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've heard that our volunteering experience needs to be in the medical field and also that it doesn't so much 'matter' as long as it's meaningful volunteer work. I'm looking for advice as to what type of volunteer work is required/recommended... thanks in advance! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly understanding your question, but I'll do my best. Your volunteer experience does not have to be in the medical field, but you need to have both clinical experience and volunteer service, so many people choose to kill two birds with one stone. However, it would be totally acceptable if, for example, you shadowed, worked as a CNA, and volunteered at a homeless shelter. This would cover clinical experience and volunteer service. As far as what matters, it matters that your clinical experience, whatever it may be, involves interaction with patients. So it is totally fine if your clinical experience is just getting blankets and glasses of water for hospital patients, but it would not be good if your clinical experience is you filing in the back room of a hospital, never encountering any patients.

What matters most is going to vary applicant to applicant. You'll know when you find a memorable and significant volunteer opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you - sorry for the confusion but you answered my question. I just wasn't sure if, in addition to my volunteer work I currently have, I needed medical volunteer work as well.

Thank you - sorry for the confusion but you answered my question. I just wasn't sure if, in addition to my volunteer work I currently have, I needed medical volunteer work as well.
No, but you do need sufficient clinical experience to indicate that you understand what you're getting into. What kind of clinical experience do you have at this point?

You heard wrong.

Volunteering needs to be in both clinical (so you can show us that you know what you're getting into and that you really want to be around patients for the next 30-40 years) AND non-clinical (to show us your altruism and humanism...the willingness to serve others less fortunate than yourself) venues.

Hello,

I've heard that our volunteering experience needs to be in the medical field and also that it doesn't so much 'matter' as long as it's meaningful volunteer work. I'm looking for advice as to what type of volunteer work is required/recommended... thanks in advance! :happy:

Reactions: 1 user
No, but you do need sufficient clinical experience to indicate that you understand what you're getting into. What kind of clinical experience do you have at this point?

I've worked in an orthopedic clinic for almost 2 years, and as a CNA prior to that. So as long as I have clinical experience it doesn't necessarily have to be volunteer work in the clinical sense?

You heard wrong.

Volunteering needs to be in both clinical (so you can show us that you know what you're getting into and that you really want to be around patients for the next 30-40 years) AND non-clinical (to show us your altruism and humanism...the willingness to serve others less fortunate than yourself) venues.

I have clinical experience. However, the majority of my volunteer work is non-clinical.

I've worked in an orthopedic clinic for almost 2 years, and as a CNA prior to that. So as long as I have clinical experience it doesn't necessarily have to be volunteer work in the clinical sense?
Sounds like you have a ton of clinical experience (like probably thousands of hours). That means you have plenty and don't need any more from medical volunteering. As long as you get some volunteering of some kind in, you'll be great.

You heard wrong.

Is clinical volunteering truly required? I remember a faculty/administrator commented on a thread around here that all that's needed is clinical experience, which can be in the form of shadowing or volunteering (with volunteering being, of course, preferred). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

For most pre-meds, clinical experience comes from volunteering.

Shadowing by itself is not volunteering, as you only learn from it what a doctor's day is like.

Is clinical volunteering truly required? I remember a faculty/administrator commented on a thread around here that all that's needed is clinical experience, which can be in the form of shadowing or volunteering (with volunteering being, of course, preferred). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

For most pre-meds, clinical experience comes from volunteering.

Shadowing by itself is not volunteering, as you only learn from it what a doctor's day is like.

True. Thanks for the clarification.