volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j0hn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a freshmen in college, when should i start volunteering? when would be the latest time i can volunteer, summer before senior year?

Members don't see this ad.

im a freshmen in college, when should i start volunteering? when would be the latest time i can volunteer, summer before senior year?

you can volunteer anytime you want. you can start now if you want and build a relationship with your PT supervisor so your LOR will be outstanding. lol

There really isn't any "last time" you can volunteer. It's always a good idea to keep volunteering, if only just a few hours per month, after you've submitted your application materials. Just to show that you are interested in the field. But keep in mind the minimum requirements of your schools concerning observation hours. Take a look at the average number of hours an incoming student had from last year's or whenever's admission to kind of gauge the number of hours you'll need. Always go above the minimum, or course.

Depending on your school(s) of choice, the final hours that will be submitted with your application will occur during summer before senior year, the summer before you turn in the applications. Then, you can continue with a small number of hours each month and supplement your submitted application with those extra documented hours.

And keep in mind, try to get experience in a variety of settings. Rule of thumb: always volunteer in an acute care hospital setting. Very important.

Well, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!