Vote for President

Started by BLADEMDA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Vote for President

  • Hillary Clinton

    Votes: 150 52.1%
  • Donald Trump

    Votes: 138 47.9%

  • Total voters
    288
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll just park this here...
whaaambulance.gif
 
2 things:

1) a difference in policy is not the same as blatant racism. Nowhere has Obama, Hillary, Romney or McCain run on the platform of hate and anger. I can't explain that anymore. If you cant see that, I cant help you understand it.

2) What is disturbing about "remorse" or apologizing for dividing the country? There is always going to be racial tensions and a president should not be a catalyst for hate. Again, if you don't believe he is racist, I can't help you but understand I am not the only one who feels that way.
1) You're overreacting to what I said. Perhaps consider coming back to this after you've calmed down a bit. (Although I realize right when you read this, you'll likely explode even more. Not sure what I can do about that. Only you can control how you react).

2) I said it's "slightly disturbing" because you said: "I'm not supporting violence but there needs to be some form of remorse from Donald Trump..." That suggests something I'm not comfortable with. But hey, you do what you want.

3) I don't think Trump is a racist. Or I doubt it. I think he's an opportunist. And I think in some ways an opportunist is worse than a racist. That's because I think an opportunist can use race or racial issues to further their own agenda. A racist actually believes another race is inferior, whereas an opportunist doesn't care and is amoral about it. So long as they can get what they want.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the Trump supporters out there I have a few questions.

First. When Trump builds his wall and makes the US unbearable for illegal immigrants, what will happen to our food prices?

Second. For those in the coal industry who have lost their jobs, how exactly will Trump bring back big coal?

Third. For those in the "rust belt", how will Trump bring back manufacturing jobs?

I ask the questions above because the people who voted for him likely have no idea about the economic policies, or lack there of, in a Trump administration.

First, 80% of all US agricultural labor is done by undocumented immigrants. Food prices would likely sky rocket if Trump went after this group and was serious about stopping their influx or deporting them.

Second. Coal wasn't killed by Obama's environmental policies. Coal was killed by a cheaper alternative in natural gas. Natural gas technology and exploration have led to a massive influx of cheap fuel into the market; market forces made coal a dead industry.

Third. Let's take Ameican steel. Steel jobs have been killed by cheap Chinese steel and the cheap Chinese steel is due to protectionism and subsidies to the steel industry. So is Trump going to throw money we don't have into the steel industry.

His proposals are so laughable and transparent it doesn't take much to see through the BS. He is surrounding himself with Washington insiders and lobbyists. Get ready for a massive transfer of wealth, graft and corruption. And again, what happens in 4 years if he can't deliver. It could really end badly for the GOP if they continue to promise, promise, promise without results.

Lastly, the hypocrisy of the right in supporting this idiot is disgusting. The right holds Reagan second only to Jesus himself as their beacon. Reagan would be turning in his grave if he knew the next president wanted to form relations with the Russians as they countinued to attempt a takeover of former soviet states and to threaten NATO. How about those wonderful evangelicals who seem to care so much about sex and morality? They quickly looked past Trump's disgusting behavior. The GOP has always been known as a hawkish party and look at Trump. He wants to abandon NATO, leave S Korea and Japan.

It seems to me that we may have entered a new phase of the second guilded age. A billionaire surrounded by other wealthy individuals to perpetuate their own wealth, think JP Morgan taking over the White House.
 
Last edited:
1) You're overreacting to what I said. Perhaps consider coming back to this after you've calmed down a bit. (Although I realize right when you read this, you'll likely explode even more. Not sure what I can do about that. Only you can control how you react).

2) I said it's "slightly disturbing" because you said: "I'm not supporting violence but there needs to be some form of remorse from Donald Trump..." That suggests something I'm not comfortable with. But hey, you do what you want.

3) I don't think Trump is a racist. Or I doubt it. I think he's an opportunist. And I think in some ways an opportunist is worse than a racist. That's because I think an opportunist can use race or racial issues to further their own agenda. A racist actually believes another race is inferior, whereas an opportunist doesn't care and is amoral about it. So long as they can get what they want.

1) Yea, I'm so angry... actually I'm ok, it's the internet and I don't know you. We agree to disagree.

2) I'm against violence but sometimes violence is neccessary and Trump would agree. I rather him step up and be a leader and speak to the people he let down.

3) An opportunist transcends all racial groups and can apply to anyone. You may believe that is worse than a racist, but to me it's not. Again, agree to disagree.
 
1) Yea, I'm so angry... actually I'm ok, it's the internet and I don't know you. We agree to disagree.

2) I'm against violence but sometimes violence is neccessary and Trump would agree. I rather him step up and be a leader and speak to the people he let down.

3) An opportunist transcends all racial groups and can apply to anyone. You may believe that is worse than a racist, but to me it's not. Again, agree to disagree.
Cool, this is a reasonable response. Fair enough.

Although I think you're confusing the definition of an opportunist with the definition of a Bohemian beatnik hippie free spirit flower child of a previous era. Just joking. 😉
 
Sorry if i talk to peolple from that area, i have more faith in them than some guy in the US fantasising about the big bad russians.
Bashar is comparable to Saddam and Kadafi, probably not stand up guys all the way but much better then the extremists that have taken their place.

Sorry to tell you, the people you talk to are wrong. I can guarantee that my connection to this is much deeper then yours.
 
He's "draining the swamp," remember? He's an outsider who is filling his administration with political insiders. He's going to make America great again by...doing more of the same.

The joke is on all of us. In 4 years the people he lets down will be pissed and will vote someone else who promises change...by doing more of the same. The establishment has such a chokehold on the system that bringing about true change will take a lot more effort than Trump's mindless campaign.

Some more back peddling:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...o-keep-parts-obamacare.amp.html?client=safari

I will assume the wall will be more like a fence.
 
Funny how easy it is to claim you can fix something when you have no idea how it works. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of this to come...:corny:
You know... I see this as a positive sign.
I could reluctantly say that maybe the hate speech was just a tactical maneuver to win the elections but now the pragmatic businessman Trump is going to reappear and do what's in the best interest of this country.
 
You know... I see this as a positive sign.
I could reluctantly say that maybe the hate speech was just a tactical maneuver to win the elections but now the pragmatic businessman Trump is going to reappear and do what's in the best interest of this country.

Or what's best for Trump.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
True... but regardless of his motives what really matters is that he is attempting to understand the issues.
I venture to say we have a better chance with him than we could have had with a true extreme right character who speaks to God like Ted Cruz!

Possibly, but what's there to keep him in check or accountable?

He now has the keys to having access to the most influential leaders in the world along with all the secrets and authoritive power. He has already banned the media and we will never know what was in his tax returns.

For all we know he could be selling nuclear weapons to North Korea or flying out to Russia grabbing women by their P's.

We sold our souls to the devil for cheap!
 
Possibly, but what's there to keep him in check or accountable?

He now has the keys to having access to the most influential leaders in the world along with all the secrets and authoritive power. He has already banned the media and we will never know what was in his tax returns.

For all we know he could be selling nuclear weapons to North Korea or flying out to Russia grabbing women by their P's.
Unfortunately all we can do is wait and see... but we also need to look back at what happened and figure out where we failed.
I feel personally guilty as a democrat, and I am sure many feel the same but that's how we learn and grow.
 
Unfortunately all we can do is wait and see... but we also need to look back at what happened and figure out where we failed.
I feel personally guilty as a democrat, and I am sure many feel the same but that's how we learn and grow.

I agree 100%. Once people start realizing that Trump is a fraud, there is no wall and that their lives are even worse than before, maybe they will look for a change.

I believed Bernie would have made a stronger candidate but I wouldn't have been mad if Kaisich won.
 
I agree 100%. Once people start realizing that Trump is a fraud, there is no wall and that their lives are even worse than before, maybe they will look for a change.

I believed Bernie would have made a stronger candidate but I wouldn't have been mad if Kaisich won.
Oh man... Bernie is an amazing guy, he said all the things that I wanted to hear, but this country is not ready for that kind of revolution.
One day though ... one day buddy.
 
Oh man... Bernie is an amazing guy, he said all the things that I wanted to hear, but this country is not ready for that kind of revolution.
One day though ... one day buddy.

The strategy (which I disagreed with) was that Hillary was the "safer" choice and could win the election on a national level. Nobody knows if Bernie would have won but I bet you there would have been more enthusiasm and turn out amongst democrats.

Sometimes you just have to stick with your core and that is what Trump was able to do (he always had his tea party/kkk core).
 
The strategy (which I disagreed with) was that Hillary was the "safer" choice and could win the election on a national level. Nobody knows if Bernie would have one but I bet you there would have been more enthusiasm and turn out amongst democrats.

Sometimes you just have to stick with your core and that is what Trump was able to do (he always had his tea party/kkk core).
I think that for a revolutionary ideology like the one Bernie was suggesting we needed an educational campaign to actually explain the issues to the working class Americans who tend to always be victims of right wing propaganda.
That did not happen this time and we chose a more mainstream candidate who unfortunately lacked charisma,
hopefully next time we will be smarter.
 
I think that for a revolutionary ideology like the one Bernie was suggesting we needed an educational campaign to actually explain the issues to the working class Americans who tend to always be victims of right wing propaganda.
That did not happen this time and we chose a more mainstream candidate who unfortunately lacked charisma,
hopefully next time we will be smarter.

Hillary was luke warm milk that tasted sour. At least Bernie was egg nog!
 
Oh man... Bernie is an amazing guy, he said all the things that I wanted to hear, but this country is not ready for that kind of revolution.
One day though ... one day buddy.

I've been reading about Bernie's activist roots and he is really a guy who has fought for his communities throughout his life. We need more people like him who are passionate about improving the lives of others, so I've been warming up to Bernie as well. I initially saw him as some wacky curmudgeon who wanted to triple my taxes. However, I think he is a man ahead of his time and the Democratic Party will have to look his way if they want to survive. The country is ready for a shift left, they just don't know it yet. It will take some educating and countering the alt-right propaganda.

Democracy is not a straight upward trajectory. It more closely resembles the stock market with upswings and downswings. As long as the overall pattern resembles growth, we can endure the temporary downswings.
 
Trump will govern more like Bill Clinton. He will bend when he needs to.

Obama finalized his fate with the Republicans by pushing the ACA through with zero republican support.

I do think Hillary would have compromised a bit more as well. But Obama should have put the breaks on the Democratic congress in 2009-2010. They were out of control
 
http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/ar...bondi-named-to-donald-trumps-transition-team#

The Crooked Trump transition continues. There's a lot of "Pay for play" already occurring in the new Trump administration. Maybe instead of draining the swamp, he meant filling the swamp.

Also, don't forget this little nugget:

Dakota Access pipeline company and Donald Trump have close financial ties

http://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...-pipeline-investment-energy-transfer-partners
 
Trump will govern more like Bill Clinton. He will bend when he needs to.

Obama finalized his fate with the Republicans by pushing the ACA through with zero republican support.

I do think Hillary would have compromised a bit more as well. But Obama should have put the breaks on the Democratic congress in 2009-2010. They were out of control

Obama's fate with the Republicans was finalized the moment he was elected. Don't you remember McConnel's famous line about making Obama a one term President.
 
For a group of "intellectuals" such as yourselves, it's amazing that no one has realized that our ENTIRE PROFESSION was on the line in this election. I can almost promise you that if Clinton won, CRNAs would've been given independence to "address health care shortages" and "equal practicing rights" as Obamacare would've continued to cut reimbursement drastically. We would've been replaced legislatively and had to start taking huge pay cuts. With Trump's victory and overhaul of Obamacare, I can tell you influential people in his administration in health care such as Ben Carson will help ensure that the health care reform that takes place makes economic sense and represents our self interests as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For a group of "intellectuals" such as yourselves, it's amazing that no one has realized that our ENTIRE PROFESSION was on the line in this election. I can almost promise you that if Clinton won, CRNAs would've been given independence to "address health care shortages" and "equal practicing rights" as Obamacare would've continued to cut reimbursement drastically. We would've been replaced legislatively and had to start taking huge pay cuts. With Trump's victory and overhaul of Obamacare, I can tell you influential people in his administration in health care such as Ben Carson will help ensure that the health care reform that takes place makes economic sense and represents our self interests as well.
Seems like a lot of conjecture here. You have anything to back this up? I haven't come across any reduced reimbursements or bundled payments (yet). But my friends on the west coast who are dealing with bundled payments seem to be pleasantly surprised with their share of the pie.
 
Trump will govern more like Bill Clinton. He will bend when he needs to.

Obama finalized his fate with the Republicans by pushing the ACA through with zero republican support.

I do think Hillary would have compromised a bit more as well. But Obama should have put the breaks on the Democratic congress in 2009-2010. They were out of control

Really? It's Obama's fault that he had an opportunity to pass major points of his agenda and he used that to his advantage? Shame on him for trying to fulfill the campaign promises he was elected for and using the system in place.

So in 4+ years, will you pull out your retrospectoscope and put fault on Trump for using a Republican Congress to his advantage? I would bet they will pass the majority of their legislature without much Democrat input or up-votes.
 
I've been reading about Bernie's activist roots and he is really a guy who has fought for his communities throughout his life. We need more people like him who are passionate about improving the lives of others, so I've been warming up to Bernie as well. I initially saw him as some wacky curmudgeon who wanted to triple my taxes. However, I think he is a man ahead of his time and the Democratic Party will have to look his way if they want to survive. The country is ready for a shift left, they just don't know it yet. It will take some educating and countering the alt-right propaganda.

Democracy is not a straight upward trajectory. It more closely resembles the stock market with upswings and downswings. As long as the overall pattern resembles growth, we can endure the temporary downswings.

Right on. Bernie, tempered by a more moderate congress, was the change people wanted but someone else said it was "her turn" and put an end to that. The people took what they could get. They didn't want 4 or 8 more years, they didn't want a historic 1st woman president, they wanted change. And it's coming. Unless people riot, whine, complain, constantly obstruct, etc. Then we really might be ****ed when they put the same old empire back in power in 4 years time, or a new real radical group of replacements. They need to seize the opportunity in front of them now.
If the Dems and liberal republicans think liberal DJT is bad, imagine President Cruz. Trump is a blowhard bully, but Ted is a far right wing wacko with an ultra conservative agenda that he would push forward as hard as he could.


--
Il Destriero
 
Last edited:
Right on. Bernie, tempered by a more moderate congress, was the change people wanted but someone else said it was "her turn" and put an end to that. The people took what they could get. They didn't want 4 or 8 more years, they didn't want a historic 1st woman president, they wanted change. And it's coming. Unless people riot, whine, complain, constantly obstruct, etc. Then we really might be ****ed when they put the same old empire back in power in 4 years time, or a new real radical group of replacements. They need to seize the opportunity in front of them now.
If the Dems and liberal republicans think liberal DJT is bad, imagine President Cruz. Trump is a blowhard bully, but Ted is a far right wing wacko with a ultra conservative agenda that he would push forward as hard as he could.


--
Il Destriero

Yes. There is an op-ed in yesterday's NY Times from Bernie that makes me hopeful. He is willing to work with Trump on helping working families, but he is also going to offer guidance to the Democrats that will hopefully stop them from producing more of them same in terms of candidates. People did not want another Clinton in office...just like they didn't want another Bush.

Bernie Sanders is interesting because he represents a state that has a high rural white population. Vermont shares a lot of similarities with the Rust Belt in that many of the small towns were hit hard by the recession. Vermont has since rebounded, but they are currently battling an opioid epidemic. Despite all of that, it has become a bastion of social progressivism all while still fiercely protecting their right to bear arms. It's a recipe a potential presidential candidate can use in the future.

As data from the election rolls in, it doesn't seem like this was some insurrection of people revolting against social progressivism, but rather anger at the current economic disparities. The democrats...or whoever...need to learn from this. If Donald Trump does end up filling his cabinet with insiders and lobbyists then the anger and resentment will just continue to grow.
 
Yes. There is an op-ed in yesterday's NY Times from Bernie that makes me hopeful. He is willing to work with Trump on helping working families, but he is also going to offer guidance to the Democrats that will hopefully stop them from producing more of them same in terms of candidates. People did not want another Clinton in office...just like they didn't want another Bush.

Bernie Sanders is interesting because he represents a state that has a high rural white population. Vermont shares a lot of similarities with the Rust Belt in that many of the small towns were hit hard by the recession. Vermont has since rebounded, but they are currently battling an opioid epidemic. Despite all of that, it has become a bastion of social progressivism all while still fiercely protecting their right to bear arms. It's a recipe a potential presidential candidate can use in the future.

As data from the election rolls in, it doesn't seem like this was some insurrection of people revolting against social progressivism, but rather anger at the current economic disparities. The democrats...or whoever...need to learn from this. If Donald Trump does end up filling his cabinet with insiders and lobbyists then the anger and resentment will just continue to grow.

This is a business move with Trump. He is going to get what he can and leave the country scratching their asses.
 
I am pretty sure that, had it been Sanders vs Trump, it would have been a landslide for the former, as socialist as he is. If anybody is anti-establishment, that's Sanders.
 
I am pretty sure that, had it been Sanders vs Trump, it would have been a landslide for the former, as socialist as he is. If anybody is anti-establishment, that's Sanders.

Yea, definitely would have been a different ball game. I know life long democrats who supported Hillary but 100% positive they would have voted for Bernie, not so true the other way around.

I supported Bernie and even if he didnt win, I stood for his message. Four years is a long time.
 
Yea, definitely would have been a different ball game. I know life long democrats who supported Hillary but 100% positive they would have voted for Bernie, not so true the other way around.
I think many Bernie voters stayed away on Election Day. That's why the low turnout among democrats.

Bernie just comes across as a very nice and decent person, very passionate about the middle class, which he himself is part of.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Expect hate crimes to at least double. It's not the law that matters, it's who applies it. 😉

I didn't see a "zero tolerance" policy for the white kids who were scaring their minority classmates with deportation recently.

"Boys will be boys" and it's probably just "locker room talk" anyway.

What's a hate crime anyway if you're not having a little fun... minorities in this country will just have to "suck it up."
 
I kind of wish people would spend the same amount of time choosing their candidates as they do picking out what they are going to get for dinner. The main issue is in this country is we have such a large debt we may be bankrupt. Our politicians continue to kick the can down the road. Unfortunately, there is only so much debt you can accumulate until inflation destroys the poor and middle class.

Does anyone know if Trumps plan or Hilary's plan would add more to the debt? We have serious issues and if we don't address the debt we won't be able to fix anything or help anyone. I think our choices this year were one in the same. I actually don't see a a difference in the two. And I don't know why others don't see it this way. People just go nuts when their candidate doesn't win. It was terrible that a Trump supporter was beat up, I saw the video on youtube. And if this happened to a Hilary supporter I would feel the same way. Whether Donald is a good person or not, we need to respect each other's rights to vote. Do I like him, the answer is no. Do I want him to succeed, the answer is yes.
 
I think many Bernie voters stayed away on Election Day. That's why the low turnout among democrats.

Bernie just comes across as a very nice and decent person, very passionate about the middle class, which he himself is part of.

They are still counting votes in places like New York and California. Hillary will likely win the popular vote by 2 percentage points. Plenty of democrats came out to vote for her. However, it's the electoral college that puts people in office and she just didn't resonate with the people in those swing states. Bernie would have turned at least a few of those swing states blue.

Bernie is getting old and I'm not sure he'll have the stamina to run a presidential campaign again. I would like to see him help groom a potential successor to his form of progressivism...preferably someone with wide appeal. I also can't see Bernie filling his administration with lobbyists. He was someone the corporations truly feared.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.