VR>PS>BS? Or what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sara3426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read a post that said "everyone knows medical schools look at verbal reasoning, it is the most important, etc." What about the other sections? Is there an order, like VR>BS>PS (hopefully that's the order).
I ask because my scores are superlopsided, with everything being very good except for PS (tear). It's not horrendous, but not very good. I wonder what this will say to adcoms? The truth is, I don't know physics very well. What's the prognosis?

Members don't see this ad.

sara3426 said:
I recently read a post that said "everyone knows medical schools look at verbal reasoning, it is the most important, etc." What about the other sections? Is there an order, like VR>BS>PS (hopefully that's the order).
I ask because my scores are superlopsided, with everything being very good except for PS (tear). It's not horrendous, but not very good. I wonder what this will say to adcoms? The truth is, I don't know physics very well. What's the prognosis?

I wouldn't worry about what you hear. You may have heard about some studies showing that verbal most correlates with doing well on step I, and that may be true, but every school has different admission requirements and look at the sections differently. It sounds like your two other "very good" sections will be more than enough to compensate for your "not horrendous" ps. :) good luck

another note: you may want to check out the MSAR from AAMC. some schools have strict "breakdown" requirements. For example, Jefferson (in Philly) does not accept anything less than an 8 in all three sections. So if your PS was lower than an 8, I don't think you should apply to Jefferson

The order of importance is VR > PS and BS. BS and PS are weighted evenly. However, it is more important that you have relatively similar scores. For example: 14VR, 10BS, and 9PS is not as good as 12VR, 11BS, 11PS.

If you have one really high score and two slightly above average scores, it actually may hurt you because it will raise flags.

NoSoupforYou13 said:
The order of importance is VR > PS and BS. BS and PS are weighted evenly. However, it is more important that you have relatively similar scores. For example: 14VR, 10BS, and 9PS is not as good as 12VR, 11BS, 11PS.

If you have one really high score and two slightly above average scores, it actually may hurt you because it will raise flags.

not to mention the first set of scores is a 33 and the second is a 34

Members don't see this ad :)
I have recently heard differently. A family friend used to the dean of a medical school and I asked him this question because I got a much lower verbal score than my other sections. While he hasn't been in the admissions loop for awhile, he called some people who are on adcoms at a few different schools and they told him that there used to be an emphasis on verbal but that there is a new trend to emphasize the sciences instead. I don't know which schools he is talking about and, more than likely, it varies from school to school. However, another possibly telling statistic is that, if you look through the MSAR, the median and minimum scores for the verbal section are both lower than for the science sections for most schools. This, however, could also reflect exceptions made for non-native english speakers.

NoSoupforYou13 said:

Why would a V14/P9/10B raise a flag? It's a 33, which is in the top 15% of all test takers. I could understand a V14/P5/B14 raising a flag because you either misbubbled or you don't know your physics/chemistry. But a 9 in physics/chemistry isn't a bad score.

The issue with verbal is that either you do well or you struggle with the section. On the other hand, the sciences can be improved by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and practicing them.

Verbal seems to be a more stable score and it could be seen as someone's ability to read and interpret information...akin to noting symptoms and diagnosing disease.

McGillGrad said:
Verbal seems to be a more stable score and it could be seen as someone's ability to read and interpret information...akin to noting symptoms and diagnosing disease.

pssshh...give me a break, omniscient one

rajad10 said:
pssshh...give me a break, omniscient one

How do you even get a 7 in verbal? Do you just randomly fill in the bubbles?

Thank you, Come again!

McGillGrad said:
How do you even get a 7 in verbal? Do you just randomly fill in the bubbles?

Thank you, Come again!

How do YOU even get a 9 on Physical Sciences? Aww, poor guy...couldn't do the problems without a calculator?

What's even better is that Rajad, whose score you think is so laughable, got a 32 while your cockiness got you a 31...

Since you're apparently not that good with numbers, I'll point out explicitly that thirty-two is better than thirty-one.

Maybe you should study more and trash talk less.

does mentioning the fact that English isnt your native language gonna put in any disadvantage?? a friend of mine (she speaks primarily spanish but her english is fluent) told me that her advisor said Dont mention these things explicitly. Whats your take on that? Also, if someone came to this country like at age 13-14 (not knowning english at all) and is now 21, does that whole not-native-language thing gonna fly?? i mean, you may be fluent in colloquial terms, but reading/interpreting those philosophy/literature passages are a bit different.

Members don't see this ad :)
nontypicalazn said:
does mentioning the fact that English isnt your native language gonna put in any disadvantage?? a friend of mine (she speaks primarily spanish but her english is fluent) told me that her advisor said Dont mention these things explicitly. Whats your take on that? Also, if someone came to this country like at age 13-14 (not knowning english at all) and is now 21, does that whole not-native-language thing gonna fly?? i mean, you may be fluent in colloquial terms, but reading/interpreting those philosophy/literature passages are a bit different.

I doubt it puts you at a disadvantage to mention it. In fact, I would expect they ask that on the application, but I haven't done mine yet, so I'm not sure. As for what they'll think about low verbal scores, I think it depends how low they are. If you make a 4 or 5, but you've lived in the US for 8 years, then that's probably not a very good excuse. Your first 10 years are when language skills really develop, so coming to the US at 13 years old is definitely gonna be a disadvantage that I would expect Med schools would consider (as long as the verbal score isn't TOO low). Just my opinion, though...I've never really looked into this before.

So...Paradox said:
How do YOU even get a 9 on Physical Sciences? Aww, poor guy...couldn't do the problems without a calculator?

You make it sound like getting a 9 is a bad thing...lol. :laugh:

What's even better is that Rajad, whose score you think is so laughable, got a 32 while your cockiness got you a 31...

Since you're apparently not that good with numbers, I'll point out explicitly that thirty-two is better than thirty-one.

Something tells me you got a low verbal score, too...haha. It would explain why you seem so gosh darn angry.

Maybe you should study more and trash talk less.

I would give you the same advice. :thumbup:

rajad10 said:
yea, why dont you do a case study on how people in med school with lower verbal scores have poor diagnosing and note-taking skills...i think you'll have a problem adding up prescription amounts with your 9 on PS. "Now 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill at night makes how many total per day...3?

Awwww....that's cute. You are using someone else's attempt at an insult to try to get back at me. :smuggrin:

Try to at least be original, but you probably barely speak Englih with a verbal score so low.

BTW- English is my 3rd language, so do not use other languages as an excuse.

Is it just me or have the threads seemed to become more hostile since the scores have come out? We're all in the same boat people. Just trying to get into medical school. So stay cool :cool:

McGillGrad said:
They let you use a calculator on the MCAT...lol... :laugh:

Something tells me you got a low verbal score, too...haha. It would explain why you seem so gosh darn angry.

I would give you the same advice. :thumbup:

Yeah, my verbal score was lower than I would have liked (and lower than my practices), and I still did better than you overall. But, you know, I'm not really interested in that and I would never trash talk on someone's score, except that I don't see why you would come on this board and criticize Rajad (or anyone) after they messed up on something so important towards which they had put so much effort. I'm sure your personality will serve you well as a physician.

McGillGrad said:
Awwww....that's cute. You are using someone else's attempt at an insult to try to get back at me. :smuggrin:

Try to at least be original, but you probably barely speak Englih with a verbal score so low.

BTW- English is my 3rd language, so do not use other languages as an excuse.

everyone just take a look at this guys post history and thats all you really have to do to figure out what kind of a person he is

man I hope you're never my doctor!! :scared:

Don't insult eachother we're all friends. Besides your wasting valuable calories typing not to mention shaving seconds off your total lifespan with the increased tension. :)

If you would look at the posts above, you would have seen that I did not start anything. Then again, a lack of self-confidence does cause random outbursts of insults when people are not even talking to you, so I forgive you.

So...Paradox said:
Yeah, my verbal score was lower than I would have liked (and lower than my practices), and I still did better than you overall. But, you know, I'm not really interested in that and I would never trash talk on someone's score, except that I don't see why you would come on this board and criticize Rajad (or anyone) after they messed up on something so important towards which they had put so much effort. I'm sure your personality will serve you well as a physician.

Yes, everyone bask in the glory of my post history. I am rather proud of it.

BTW- you gave me a compliment by believing that I will become a great doctor. Thanks!

ironmanf14 said:
everyone just take a look at this guys post history and thats all you really have to do to figure out what kind of a person he is

man I hope you're never my doctor!! :scared:

I guess there are all different kinds of people on here. Best wishes everyone. I hope you all reach success with your dreams to reach medical school. At least we know our scores now. Time for the next level of tough decisions and waiting.

McGillGrad said:
If you would look at the posts above, you would have seen that I did not start anything. Then again, a lack of self-confidence does cause random outbursts of insults when people are not even talking to you, so I forgive you.

i said "give me a break" because you said something, which in my opinion, was ridiculous; it wasn't an insult. maybe those continuous cycles of steroids are doing a number on your aggression, superman.

rajad, you seem a tad bit too sensitive about your score... I feel bad that that 7 is ruining that great score of yours for you

rajad10, your MDapps shows that you have a very strong application. From the looks of it the only weak spot you have is your verbal score. Everyone has some sort of weak spot in their application. I'd be willing to bet my second born son that you will get in this application season.

UMP said:
rajad, you seem a tad bit too sensitive about your score... I feel bad that that 7 is ruining that great score of yours for you

you're totally right...that damn verbal is destroying my personality and temperament. I've slept like 10 hours since the scores came out. I just don't know how I got that. Maybe med schools will like my abilities as a choke artist.

ChymeChancellor said:
rajad10, your MDapps shows that you have a very strong application. From the looks of it the only weak spot you have is your verbal score. Everyone has some sort of weak spot in their application. I'd be willing to bet my second born son that you will get in this application season.

only second born huh....SEE you don't really think so :p

rajad10 said:
you're totally right...that damn verbal is destroying my personality and temperament. I've slept like 10 hours since the scores came out. I just don't know how I got that. Maybe med schools will like my abilities as a choke artist.

i'd put any money on you getting in, your application is too good

rajad10 said:
i said "give me a break" because you said something, which in my opinion, was ridiculous; it wasn't an insult. maybe those continuous cycles of steroids are doing a number on your aggression, superman.

hahahaha! I guess when out-of-shape people see someone who works out, they have to be on steroids...classic!

I guess your verbal skills are not the only thing that you are self-conscious about. Maybe hitting the gym might be the answer to your problems. :laugh:

McGillGrad said:
hahahaha! I guess when out-of-shape people see someone who works out, they have to be on steroids...classic!

I guess your verbal skills are not the only thing that you are self-conscious about. Maybe hitting the gym might be the answer to your problems. :laugh:

Why do you go to the gym?

McGillGrad said:

i can see the creatine-delivered water in those muscles man

"I guess your verbal skills are not the only thing that you are self-conscious about"

I especially love how someone who bodybuilds and takes pictures of themselves flexing can accuse another person of being self-concious of anything :laugh: :laugh:

taylormade44 said:
lol a topless picture with the block-meathead colored out...he should totally become a cop

Envy is such an awful emotion. :D

rajad10 said:
click on his profile, its hilarious

"building mind and body"

I am impressed that you could read that considering your verbal score :laugh:

ironmanf14 said:
"I guess your verbal skills are not the only thing that you are self-conscious about"

I especially love how someone who bodybuilds and takes pictures of themselves flexing can accuse another person of being self-concious of anything :laugh: :laugh:

You are really reaching now because this almost makes sense.

You get an 'A' for effort, though. BTW It is spelled "self-conscious"... No wonder your verbal score was lacking. :thumbup:

McGillGrad said:

You get an 'A' for effort, though. BTW It is spelled "self-conscious"... No wonder your verbal score was lacking. :thumbup:

What don't you understand?

You accused someone of being self-conscious (YAY! NO TYPOS!) but many people who lift weights have issues with being self conscious themselves....

Here is one example to make it a little easier to understand. A lot of guys who are short feel the need to get huge to compensate for being less than average hight

McGillGrad said:

"You make it sound like getting a 9 is a bad thing...lol" -thats a quote from you a few posts back

Thiiinnkkk before you type :)

Status
Not open for further replies.