This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected from Maine for July bc they are full

Members don't see this ad.

For those asking about how many rotations/SLOEs you need:

CORD (EM Council of Residency Directors) suggests 2. One home (if you have a home place), one away. Like 85% of PDs said they'll decide to interview off one SLOE. Almost 100% will off two. Anything more than two is unnecessary, though you may find a benefit in terms of getting to check out a variety of places to decide what you want out of a residency program.

Students need to stop perpetuating the myth that you NEED three or four SLOEs. That's completely untrue according to any PD surveys that have been done on this topic. The only people I've ever heard giving this advice are other students. It's simply not true.

I'm not saying don't do a third rotation, you can. But don't feel bad if you can only get 2. That's all you need.
Would you say that this same advice holds true for DO students?

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. im nowhere near the most competitive applicant, but if the application cycle is gonna be like this I’ll be damned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical College of Georgia told me their Non-Military spots are full from July through at least November.

When did you apply to/hear back from Marietta? And am I correct in presuming that you applied for the earliest months possible and didn't deliberately choose November-December?

How early did you apply to VCU? Do they not give you the option to purchase supplemental insurance through their school/hospital?

Any updates on this?

Sorry for my late reply! Have been studying for Surgery COMAT. Well, I thought I applied for earlier months but after looking at my email, I guess I did only apply for the November slot. When I submitted that app, I already had three rotations scheduled for my school's July-Aug, Sept-Oct, and Oct-Nov blocks so that's why that happened.

Would you say that this same advice holds true for DO students?

Yes. Going on more rotations may open up the door for interviews at those places, so I'm not saying only go on two. If you want to go on more, feel free to. Just don't feel like you NEED to. You need two SLOEs, thats it. No one is demanding you to have 3 or more SLOEs, MD or DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Heard back from zero programs through VSAS so far. Are people still adding programs at this point? I mean I guess I have no choice but to add more, just worried about being so late in the process.

Heard back from zero programs through VSAS so far. Are people still adding programs at this point? I mean I guess I have no choice but to add more, just worried about being so late in the process.
I havent heard back from anything. Just added more on Monday

So where should I look for a place thats less likely to be filled? Pretty much been ghosted by everywhere. Looking for smaller places in the Midwest at this point. But I will literally take any away rotation. I will do one in Syria.

So where should I look for a place thats less likely to be filled? Pretty much been ghosted by everywhere. Looking for smaller places in the Midwest at this point. But I will literally take any away rotation. I will do one in Syria.
Same here. I’m looking for programs in the southeast.

Lmao, let me know if Syria has any openings. They told me they were full for July/August.

Reactions: 4 users
On another note, I just love paying over a hundred bucks to just be ghosted. Reminds me of premed. How tf am I going to get a residency, I can't even get an away rotation.

Reactions: 4 users
On another note, I just love paying over a hundred bucks to just be ghosted. Reminds me of premed. How tf am I going to get a residency, I can't even get an away rotation.
How active have you been in reaching out to clerkship coordinators? One of my spots was a place I continually reached out to after initially being denied. Eventually the coordinator just gave me a spot. Other places have let me swap dates after constantly checking back in for any new openings or changes. Places may be full but there is probably going to still be movement, so just try and be the first name they think of if a spot opens up

Members don't see this ad :)
How active have you been in reaching out to clerkship coordinators? One of my spots was a place I continually reached out to after initially being denied. Eventually the coordinator just gave me a spot. Other places have let me swap dates after constantly checking back in for any new openings or changes. Places may be full but there is probably going to still be movement, so just try and be the first name they think of if a spot opens up
Not active I guess. I asked a couple questions and reiterated interest to the initial ones I applied to, but I sent out a bunch more last Friday only. I think next week I'll reach out again

How screwed would I be if I only have EM aways in November and December?

Depends. Will you have an early home rotation and SLOE? If so, you'll probably be ok if that SLOE is decent. If you don't have an early home rotation, or if its not a good SLOE, you are kind of screwed tbh. Early Oct is when invites start coming out. A second big wave again in Nov. If your first SLOE doesn't come out until December (after the Nov rotation is over) then it's much too late.

Not active I guess. I asked a couple questions and reiterated interest to the initial ones I applied to, but I sent out a bunch more last Friday only. I think next week I'll reach out again
I would email soon and reiterate interest then say you’d even just love to be placed on a waitlist. Then just be persistent (within reason)

Anyone know how flexible programs are with frontloading your shift schedule if you start the following rotation (several states away) the day after the first rotation ends?

Anyone know how flexible programs are with frontloading your shift schedule if you start the following rotation (several states away) the day after the first rotation ends?
From my experience this shouldn’t be too much of an issue with shifts, most EM corotators are cool and willing to swap shifts. I’ve also seen places be pretty flexible about the end of clerkship exam for extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: 1 users
The recent Annals of EM has a data dump of EM residency info. The part that amazed me, was that application numbers have jumped ~150% since 2015.

I know for a fact Miami is full because I had to beg my way into their very last spot a month ago.

Can you describe the "begging" that you did please? I think I am going to need to do some begging and need some advice

Can you describe the "begging" that you did please? I think I am going to need to do some begging and need some advice

I had a friend who was rotating there who talked me up to the clerkship director and I sent a few emails of interest until they caved haha.

I’ve had friends have success just with emails of interest though. Convince programs they’re just not one of 30 VSAS places you applied to and sometimes you get lucky.

I had a friend who was rotating there who talked me up to the clerkship director and I sent a few emails of interest until they caved haha.

I’ve had friends have success just with emails of interest though. Convince programs they’re just not one of 30 VSAS places you applied to and sometimes you get lucky.

I've written emails of interest to a couple of the programs and even called to follow up but nothing... I'll just keep trying without being too annoying and in the meantime, willing to take any other "begging" advice

What approach did you use to continually reach out after being denied? Was the denial because they were full or for other reasons? Just trying to see what more one can say to a program after they receive a rejection.

What approach did you use to continually reach out after being denied? Was the denial because they were full or for other reasons? Just trying to see what more one can say to a program after they receive a rejection.
Applied to this program early and emailed coordinator about my initial interest, initially denied and they told me the dates I wanted were completely filled but I could apply for an ultrasound rotation. No offer of a waitlist. I emailed the coordinator back immediately and asked to be considered for whatever waitlist policy the had. No response. Emailed again a week and a half later and mentioned my interest and that I'd love to just be considered for the waitlist. After second email it started a dialogue and eventually they started sending me dates to choose from.

I really think they get so hammered with stressed out EM applicants flooding their inbox that you just have to be the first one that comes to mind. All my emails were short, polite and direct but if they don't respond you better believe I'm sending a follow-up email in a week.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when UNC begins to let students know about round 2 decisions (June-Feb2020)

Anyone know why EM is becoming more popular with students despite the high burnout rate?

My understanding is because it's a lifestyle specialty only in that you don't take call in the traditional sense plus you're only working basically half the month +/- a couple days. On top of that, compensation is very nice and even better if you're a travel doc.

Though having been a scribe in the ED for almost two years, I can tell you the hours can be horrendous when transitioning from days to night and vice versa. Also your "weekend" could be any random day of the week during the day when everyone else is at work lol.

I'd be more interested to see how and if the idea of burnout will change. We're moving out of the era of EM being the new kid on the block when docs were finding their way into the specialty and not necessarily choosing it. Now we have people who actually want to be there. Not saying it will be eliminated but I wonder if the expiration date will be pushed back on when people leave the department for slower endeavors.

Anyone know why EM is becoming more popular with students despite the high burnout rate?

Probably because when you have 300k+ debt compounding at 7% per year a quick 3 year residency with a decent salary at the end becomes pretty enticing

No call.
Full time is working 3 to 4 days a week.
High paying specialty.
Residency that caps hours at 60/week instead of 80/week.

Those 4 things make it VERY appealing to many many students. What they don't see is what circadian disruption does to you after 30, the intensity of the work when seeing over 2/hr (as opposed to a student workload), how the patients, consultants, and administrators just wear down your spirit over time, etc.

Heard back from Orlando and UNM today, no spots left for prime season.

Rejected from Maine medical center, spectrum health, University of Michigan for aug-september. I also applied for another date not listed in the rejection email, does that mean they're still considering me for another slot?

Rejected from Maine medical center, spectrum health, University of Michigan for aug-september. I also applied for another date not listed in the rejection email, does that mean they're still considering me for another slot?
Yes, potentially. I had a place reject me month-by-month as they chose other applicants, (until I withdrew my application after getting accepted elsewhere). At first, I was hopeful, but then I realized I was just on the back-burner in case a "better" applicant didn't come along. Same place accepted my friend and classmate within 2 weeks of applying and took two months to reject me for the same slot. I wish there was a better alternative to the VSAS game! Good luck!

• Sad
So I think I might have managed to line up 2 aways before October after all. However, the first one is on the west coast and ends on a Friday, while the second one is on the east coast and begins that following Monday, giving me just the weekend to drive the span from sea to shining sea:dead:.

I'm not sure it's possible. I covered 1600 miles over a weekend once, but I was younger (gods I was strong then! lmao) and my eyes still nearly melted out of my head by the time I arrived. This is gonna be dam near 2600 miles and would require 40+ hours of driving out of a 48 hour period. Oh well, let us do this thing.

So I think I might have managed to line up 2 aways before October after all. However, the first one is on the west coast and ends on a Friday, while the second one is on the east coast and begins that following Monday, giving me just the weekend to drive the span from sea to shining sea:dead:.

I'm not sure it's possible. I covered 1600 miles over a weekend once, but I was younger (gods I was strong then! lmao) and my eyes still nearly melted out of my head by the time I arrived. This is gonna be dam near 2600 miles and would require 40+ hours of driving out of a 48 hour period. Oh well, let us do this thing.

I would honestly fly and do the whole rent a car thing. You’ll be drained by the time you start the other rotation. Thats me though. Good luck in your endeavors.

I would honestly fly and do the whole rent a car thing. You’ll be drained by the time you start the other rotation. Thats me though. Good luck in your endeavors.

Yea when you factor in the wear and tear on your car and your soul just getting a rental car for the month becomes a lot more appealing.

I’m driving 14hrs each way for one away, then flying and renting for the second since it’s 800 miles and I don’t wanna do that to my car.

Mixed success- I had difficulty coordinating my aways around my home program AI with my first away rotation offer due to ~ week overlap in schedules and couldn't get either the away program or my home program to be flexible. However, with my current away rotation schedule, I will be frontloading my shifts with one rotation in order to make it to my next rotation on time and the away program was very understanding about the situation!

Does anyone know if there are any open slots for end of july - early august? Im willing to go anywhere. I was rejected/wait listed at every spot for a date before sept 15.

Does anyone know when rank lists are made? I've been told by people that doing a non-sloe rotation like US at a place I'm targeting is still high yield later because it helps one get face time when places are making their final rank list and recency bias helps, especially since it sends a strong signal that you're interested in them since I'd be coming that late.

My question is - how late do places make their rank lists? Is a rotation in February too late? Seems like January wouldn't be a bad time to do this. However, why would places even offer rotations later than January then?

Rank Order List is due 2/26/20. So I would guess... and this is only a guess that most programs would do it between winter holidays, and the deadline.

My question is - how late do places make their rank lists? Is a rotation in February too late? Seems like January wouldn't be a bad time to do this. However, why would places even offer rotations later than January then?

Does anyone know when rank lists are made? I've been told by people that doing a non-sloe rotation like US at a place I'm targeting is still high yield later because it helps one get face time when places are making their final rank list and recency bias helps, especially since it sends a strong signal that you're interested in them since I'd be coming that late.

I planned to do this for Nov/Dec. I got a spot at a program that I’ll likely rank very high. I don’t plan to get a SLOE out of it. But it’s the peak of interview season, so I’m not sure if I should take the risk of potentially requesting days off. (Also don’t want to turn it down after they already gave me the spot).