This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So general consensus seems to be 2 SLOEs (essentially 2 rotations...) to at least have a shot.

At what point should we start to panic that we've secured only 1 rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

So general consensus seems to be 2 SLOEs (essentially 2 rotations...) to at least have a shot.

Well one sloe before ERAS opens to be invited for an interview and then when a 2nd/3rd sloe comes you can update the school that a new letter has been added.

I only have one rotation set for aug-sept and the other 2 are in nov and dec. Do the SLOEs usually come in right after the end of the rotation or is it a couple of weeks? If its a couple weeks I think I'm screwed lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, has anyone heard from U of A?

Spoke to U of A today. They've already offered all open rotations to other candidates. If you haven't gotten a rejection its because you are automatically waitlisted. They will be making final decisions early next month.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to VCU last week. Unfortunately, they have come back this week and said my institutional malpractice insurance isn't good enough for Virginia. My school provides 2mil individual/4 mil aggregate. They require 2.4 mil individual/7.2 mil aggregate. This seems a bit crazy, since almost everywhere else is 1mil/3mil. There are also no places that will cover over 3 mil aggregate (I need an additional 3.2). Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone hear from any of the mt Sinai’s in New York?

I've applied to 10 places and have heard absolutely nothing from any of them. No acceptances and no rejections. Just silence. Is this normal? Have most programs already sent out their acceptances for July through October or are most spots for that time frame still to be allocated and we're in a period of temporary calm before the main action begins?

It's weird because my step is nearly 250 and I have no red flags so I'm not sure what's going on.

Has anyone heard from University of Alabama or Medical College of Georgia?

I've applied to 10 places and have heard absolutely nothing from any of them. No acceptances and no rejections. Just silence. Is this normal? Have most programs already sent out their acceptances for July through October or are most spots for that time frame still to be allocated and we're in a period of temporary calm before the main action begins?

It's weird because my step is nearly 250 and I have no red flags so I'm not sure what's going on.

Second this. I'm in pretty much the exact same boat except I've gotten a few rejections.

Second this. I'm in pretty much the exact same boat except I've gotten a few rejections.

It's crazy. I'm beginning to consider the possibility that my chances at EM may be dwindling down to zero nearly a year before the actual match due to an inability to land away rotations of all things! Meanwhile my raw stats are good enough to be competitive for things like ortho and derm. It's infuriating and comical at the same time lol.

I applied for October/November. Do programs usually send out decisions in order of the blocks?
Has anyone heard anything as far out as for Oct/Nov?

My friends and I have gotten invites as far out as October. I’ve had a few places also tell me they’re full into December.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those panicking about not having anything yet. It's still pretty early and I think I got my last away for October sometime in July. Ride it out for a few more weeks, if you are really worried about it then get 10+ more apps out at places other than Doximity top 20. Lots of programs in Michigan, upstate NY, PA, etc. that aren't filled. And keep in mind most places won't accept new students until their own student schedules are set up which is probably going on right now

Reactions: 1 users
I applied for October/November. Do programs usually send out decisions in order of the blocks?
Has anyone heard anything as far out as for Oct/Nov?

Yes, I’ve gotten two offers for EM rotations past that. One from Marietta (Nov-Dec) and one from Lehigh (Jan-Feb). I was surprised considering that most of the other later slots I’ve applied to I’ve been sitting on since March.

Yes, I’ve gotten two offers for EM rotations past that. One from Marietta (Nov-Dec) and one from Lehigh (Jan-Feb). I was surprised considering that most of the other later slots I’ve applied to I’ve been sitting on since March.
Do you plan to get a SLOE from the one in Nov/Dec? I’m really trying to avoid having a rotation that late, because I need a 2nd SLOE before then.

Do you plan to get a SLOE from the one in Nov/Dec? I’m really trying to avoid having a rotation that late, because I need a 2nd SLOE before then.

Probably not because that is late like you said! But I will if I absolutely have to. I’ve got another one in September at Integris so I’m hoping to get one from them. And I’m still waiting to fill my August slot so that’s my other hope.

Just roll call:

How many aways are you trying to do?
Here, advisors say do a home & an away.

Is there any VSAS/ERAS data on the # of aways?

Has anyone heard from University of Alabama or Medical College of Georgia?
Medical College of Georgia told me their Non-Military spots are full from July through at least November.

When did you apply to/hear back from Marietta? And am I correct in presuming that you applied for the earliest months possible and didn't deliberately choose November-December?

Accepted to VCU last week. Unfortunately, they have come back this week and said my institutional malpractice insurance isn't good enough for Virginia. My school provides 2mil individual/4 mil aggregate. They require 2.4 mil individual/7.2 mil aggregate. This seems a bit crazy, since almost everywhere else is 1mil/3mil. There are also no places that will cover over 3 mil aggregate (I need an additional 3.2). Anyone else have this problem?
How early did you apply to VCU? Do they not give you the option to purchase supplemental insurance through their school/hospital?

I emailed buffalo they state department is still reviewing application.
Any updates on this?

I am doing 4 aways from July to end of October. Just want to explore programs in different states/environments. But my school suggests doing one home and one away

Last edited:
Doing 4 aways (3 in Cali and one at UNLV)

My 4th year buddy was offered interviews with only 1 SLOE. He ended up doing two aways I think when it was all said and done. He matched to his top choice.

-----------------------
I'll be getting 3 SLOEs...not gonna waste my time and money for 4.

Also, Carolinas and LSU-NO are sending offers

Just roll call:

How many aways are you trying to do?
Here, advisors say do a home & an away.

Is there any VSAS/ERAS data on the # of aways?

So I recall our CD showing us data from CORD that said the average number of aways was like 1.1 - meaning most do 1, a few do 2. No idea what the N was on the study, if that data was publicly available, or if it included DOs/IMGs.

Personally I’m from an MD school, doing home + 2 aways. One at a classic top program, and one at a less competitive program/location where I’m hoping I can shine a bit more.

So I recall our CD showing us data from CORD that said the average number of aways was like 1.1 - meaning most do 1, a few do 2. No idea what the N was on the study, if that data was publicly available, or if it included DOs/IMGs.

Personally I’m from an MD school, doing home + 2 aways. One at a classic top program, and one at a less competitive program/location where I’m hoping I can shine a bit more.

Figure it must be the SDN bias with people doing 3 or 4. But more power to those of you going out there and knocking it out for 3-4 months.

(Just hoping I'm not on rotation with a gunner on their 4th EM slot.)

Figure it must be the SDN bias with people doing 3 or 4. But more power to those of you going out there and knocking it out for 3-4 months.

(Just hoping I'm not on rotation with a gunner on their 4th EM slot.)

Id say most people at my school are doing 1 home and 1 away or 2 aways on average. People interested in some regional locations like New York, Texas, Cali are doing an extra one.

Rejected from Hackensack NJ yesterday bc they are full for July/August

Heard back from UNM asking for my step 1 score, app is under department review there.

I am a DO. Doing 3 (July-September). Would've liked another one at any of a couple places where I'm really interested. Alas, they have ghosted me.

Reactions: 2 users
You probably only need 2 SLOEs unless you are worried one isnt good. I got almost all of my interviews before my 3rd SLOE was even submitted. I doubt anyone is gonna be impressed with doing more rotations than you need to unless you really knock it out of the park on a later one. On the other had, if you do 3-4 EM rotations you really should be pretty good by that last one anyway so anything but very good might also stand out as a question mark.

I'd say 3 total EM rotations for SLOEs MAX (1 home 2 away or 3 away if you dont have a home)

uchi is accepting for waitlist ( i asked about sept)
rejected from- henni, henry ford, orlando ( several weeks ago)

Anyone here from???
baylor
buffalo
wayne state
georgetown
temple

I already have 1 away +1 home. i dont technically need another away but i want to do one at a program/region im interested in.

thanks

uchi is accepting for waitlist ( i asked about sept)
rejected from- henni, henry ford, orlando ( several weeks ago)

Anyone here from???
baylor
buffalo
wayne state
georgetown
temple

I already have 1 away +1 home. i dont technically need another away but i want to do one at a program/region im interested in.

thanks
Heard back from Baylor yesterday!

From talking to some friends/my own applications in the NYC area:
-Staten Island is full, Maimonides is full, St Joseph's and Morristown are pulling from the waitlist, Newark Beth Israel is full, NYP/NYP affiliates have sent at least some offers out, Northshore/LIJ has sent out offers, Stony Brook has sent offers, Brooklyn Hospital is sending offers/is full depending on who you ask, no one I know has heard from Mt Sinai or St. Lukes, and Downstate...still hasn't opened yet. I don't think anyone has heard from the NYMC programs (Metro and Brookdale) yet. The Rutgers programs apparently won't officially accept visiting students until 45 days before the start date but I had some classmates plead their way into unofficial acceptances.

Jefferson in Philly has started to send offers, they're not on VSAS.

check your spam folders?

BTW, was told to only have 2 SLOE's and 1-2 aways, unless DO or have some red flags/something to compensate for.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep I've also been told 2 SLOE's is good and PD's aren't expecting more than that. I'm doing 2 aways and 1 home because I'm interested in the regions i'm applying to and because my scores are below average so I gotta make up for it

BTW, was told to only have 2 SLOE's and 1-2 aways, unless DO or have some red flags/something to compensate for.

Yea our CD always says to be careful because some people may wonder what you’re trying to “compensate for” with the 3rd sloe (if you’re otherwise a solid candidate).

I take issue with this in that everyone is always compensating for SOMETHING. For example my extra away is to unlock texas. So I’m compensating for my lack of Texan-ness.

a SLOE from your home clerkship director (but no residency program) doesn't count towards the 2 right? Still need 2 aways to get SLOEs?

So I think I'm a bit late in the game. I only applied to a couple initially back in early April, with hopes of Utah mainly. Sounds like its full for now, but I applied for the November rotation (unfortunately during interview season). I applied for even more schools yesterday, but I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately, I do have an EM rotation under my belt already with another one this summer, both home institutions. I think I'll end up with an average SLOE for the first one since it was early in 3rd year, but Im confident I can do better on my summer one. Should I just call it and end up with these 2 SLOEs and hope for the best? I've gotten well above average Step scores and rotation scores so far.

So I think I'm a bit late in the game. I only applied to a couple initially back in early April, with hopes of Utah mainly. Sounds like its full for now, but I applied for the November rotation (unfortunately during interview season). I applied for even more schools yesterday, but I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately, I do have an EM rotation under my belt already with another one this summer, both home institutions. I think I'll end up with an average SLOE for the first one since it was early in 3rd year, but Im confident I can do better on my summer one. Should I just call it and end up with these 2 SLOEs and hope for the best? I've gotten well above average Step scores and rotation scores so far.

Are you an MD or DO student?

I think as long as you have two you should be fine. That seems to be the consensus especially with solid step scores and no other red flags. If you wanted to try for others to have an additional in your pocket that would just be a personal preference.

a SLOE from your home clerkship director (but no residency program) doesn't count towards the 2 right? Still need 2 aways to get SLOEs?

GamerEMdoc has commented on this a few times in terms of his opinion on the ranking of these letters. I can't remember exactly how he ranks it but I know that a SLOE from a residency program is generally preferred over one from a program without a residency.

I think as long as you have two you should be fine. That seems to be the consensus especially with solid step scores and no other red flags. If you wanted to try for others to have an additional in your pocket that would just be a personal preference.
Thanks. Im gonna apply for the November slot in a couple spots to see what happens. Only problem with that is its prime interview season.

Thanks. Im gonna apply for the November slot in a couple spots to see what happens. Only problem with that is its prime interview season.

Honestly from October-January are pretty equal in terms of scheduling options. You can front or backload most of your interviews. If all you get is November at a place you really want for residency it's probably worth going. Just make sure you have flexibility to front or backload interviews if you go. My top 3 ranks were all January interviews

Honestly from October-January are pretty equal in terms of scheduling options. You can front or backload most of your interviews. If all you get is November at a place you really want for residency it's probably worth going. Just make sure you have flexibility to front or backload interviews if you go. My top 3 ranks were all January interviews
Yeah I picked up some lax rotations with attendings I know outside of medicine for January.

For those asking about how many rotations/SLOEs you need:

CORD (EM Council of Residency Directors) suggests 2. One home (if you have a home place), one away. Like 85% of PDs said they'll decide to interview off one SLOE. Almost 100% will off two. Anything more than two is unnecessary, though you may find a benefit in terms of getting to check out a variety of places to decide what you want out of a residency program.

Students need to stop perpetuating the myth that you NEED three or four SLOEs. That's completely untrue according to any PD surveys that have been done on this topic. The only people I've ever heard giving this advice are other students. It's simply not true.

I'm not saying don't do a third rotation, you can. But don't feel bad if you can only get 2. That's all you need.

Reactions: 8 users
For those asking about how many rotations/SLOEs you need:

CORD (EM Council of Residency Directors) suggests 2. One home (if you have a home place), one away. Like 85% of PDs said they'll decide to interview off one SLOE. Almost 100% will off two. Anything more than two is unnecessary, though you may find a benefit in terms of getting to check out a variety of places to decide what you want out of a residency program.

Students need to stop perpetuating the myth that you NEED three or four SLOEs. That's completely untrue according to any PD surveys that have been done on this topic. The only people I've ever heard giving this advice are other students. It's simply not true.

How true is it that doing aways in regionally specific places matters if you want to match there. For example, does doing an away in Texas or New York help in landing more interviews at other programs in those states (so long as you perform well and get a good SLOE)? This is the main reason I am doing more than 2 aways.

I only have one rotation set for aug-sept and the other 2 are in nov and dec. Do the SLOEs usually come in right after the end of the rotation or is it a couple of weeks? If its a couple weeks I think I'm screwed lol.

Programs realize the urgency to get SLOEs done during interview season.

How true is it that doing aways in regionally specific places matters if you want to match there. For example, does doing an away in Texas or New York help in landing more interviews at other programs in those states (so long as you perform well and get a good SLOE)? This is main reason I am doing more than 2 aways.

I personally don't think it matters a ton. Because you can't filter applications by where the person rotates. You can only filter by school location and permanent address. So you only know where people rotate once you open their application, and if you are being filtered out by geography, they'll never have a chance to see your app in the first place.

Now, it may help in the sense that if a place doesn't use geographic filters, it may help. Or if its a place that you send out an email of interest to, and you can refer that you rotated at some place in state and really liked the state, etc. That may help. But overall, geographic filters are hard to get around without sending LOIs emails.

Ive had the same. I applied to like 5 time slots for Utah and have been completely ghosted. I heard on here that they filled up a week or so ago but didnt reject me yet