VSP reacts to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben Chudner

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like the study cited that describes a higher utilization for stand-alone vision plans. No selection bias there. If you are paying separately for a plan, of course you will tend to use it more! That's why we end up seeing folks annually who have healthy eyes and no refractive error or no visual complaints and a stable refraction with no desire to get new glasses. Total waste of time and money. I think the bundling mandate would improve reimbursements. The current stand-alone plans, such as VSP, are among the worst in that regard.

If would be much much better if VSP and other similar plans would simply provide material benefits and leave the exams out of it. Fact is that 99% of people who have VSP or similar plans also have health insurance plans which cover eye exams as long as the person has a complaint or is in a high risk situation in need of monitoring. The VSP "exam" is completely redundant and a complete waste of resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the comments so far, but as some ODs argue, there is an issue of medical plan discrimination and/or fee parity, etc. Fact is in many states such as california (VSP's home state) being able to provide care for pts is limited by rampant medical plan discimination. ODs are often denied access to pts for no other reason then that they are an OD. As such, their lifeblood is these stand alone nonsense plans, and they will probably fight to keep them involved. Fortunately, I don't have that problem but it is an issue for many.

Yeah California sucks for Optometry we know that.

VSP (and all vision plans) are scared shiitless that they will be rendered obsolete with the stroke a pen.