VTCSOM vs. RWJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HauntingDevil_0776

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
VTCSOM
Pros
  • Tons of dedicated research time throughout the curriculum, also easier to find research opportunities
  • Exam once a block (8 wks) and a week off after exams!
  • Small class size (I went to a small high school and college and I really liked the environment), individualized step 1 help, and just individualized attention in general
  • People (both the current and the accepted students) were VERY friendly, and everyone seemed happy and excited to be there

Cons
  • LOCATION. No Asian food markets around (1hr drive away), far from home(7 hrs drive away), and I’m not a huge outdoorsy person either (even though I enjoy an occasional hike). I lived in another town similar to this environment for 4 years of college, and having no authentic Asian food around really KILLED me. Also, I’m thinking this may mean less opportunities to make connections with PDs and find research elsewhere
  • No ophthalmology department. I’m thinking about doing ophthalmology (although open to other options), but clinical research opportunity there seems really limited.
  • More time spent in classrooms (2 hr lecture 3 times a week, PBL 3 times a week, then “research class” 1hr 3 times a week)

RWJMS

Pros
  • LOCATION. Close to home, Asian markets and restaurants 3 mins away…life is good. Also close to other hospitals with ophthal programs like the hospital in Newark…so more potential to do some research? Or just make an impression on PDs in general. I do hope to match back to NJ, where my family is.
  • Flexible curriculum. Most afternoons are free, also less emphasis on PBL (why did anyone think that was a good idea to begin with?)
  • More activities…there seems to be more volunteering opportunities around, like getting involved with Promise clinic, asylum clinic, etc. vs. VTC only having 1 free clinic. Might help build a narrative about wanting to work with immigrant patients in a city setting (which is what I want to do in the future).

Cons
  • It felt like people were not as excited/friendly as VTCSOM. Definitely felt some gunner energy from the accepted students…I also thought it was weird that the admission didn’t involve any M2 on the accepted student day
  • Harder to find research, more competition to get a research position (that you want) or any kind of activity

Basically, I feel like the pros/cons of each school are tied to their location/class size lol. the cost is not too much of a difference since VTCSOM is about 10k more per year than RWJ.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Virginia Tech is a unique school and Roanoke appeals to some, but not to everyone. I have some knowledge of the school via a friend.

The small class size provides for more interaction with faculty and less competition for opportunities like mentoring, shadowing, extracurriculars, etc. And when it comes to residency application, that small class size allows for more individual attention and help with preparation. On your rotations, you won't be standing in the back observing.

Another observation is the dedication and friendliness of the staff and faculty. The small class size creates an incredible community wherein the staff, faculty, and students really know each other well. It's a very caring / nurturing environment. This is a huge plus for my friend.

The class is diverse in terms of the geographic locations they draw from and also the ages / life experiences of the students. My friend has already made life-long friends at the school. Male / female mix is skewed in recent years with many more females if that matters.

The research element is built into the program and the structure will keep you on track. The research arm of the school / health system is literally adjacent (attached) to the medical school. The hospital is a few hundred yards from the school. It's all right there. No driving around for anything except maybe once per block for the preclinical years' outpatient/preceptor experience --- depending on where you get assigned.

PBL might be something you look at as a discriminator one way or the other. Some people really like it but others don't. The feedback I've heard is that many students at VTC like it. First year is more challenging, second year a little easier with fewer presentations. There are a lot of in class hours at VTC, particularly during first year. Lots of clinical skills training included. I think it's manageable but, yes, you'll be at the school a lot the first 20 months or so.

Not sure what to say about the Asian food issue or your limited interest in the outdoors. Maybe VTC / Roanoke would be a good chance to expand your horizons on both fronts! Roanoke is an interesting place and the cost of living is quite low. Winter weather is milder than NJ and the natural beauty in the fall and spring is a plus.

For you, wanting to match back to NJ, maybe RWJ is a better fit. I do think you could match geographically almost anywhere from either school.

Good luck!

RWJMS. I see no reason to pay 10k more each year for a school that is too far from home and does not provide the necessary amenities to try to amend for that.

Having afternoons free is also nice.