W with an Excuse your final year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to drop my Dev Bio/ Embryology class because I don't need it for my major and because the class being comparative and the professor monotone isn't doing it. I'll still be full time, and thanks to it I'll be given more time to retake the mcat.
What do you think? Should I push through it and potentially get a B but have a minor easier time in Embryo in MS? Or should I drop it get As in all my other classes and spend the time I would have dedicated trying to get a good mcat score?

Opinions? I'll probably end up with a B admittedly because the course is beyond me half the time and not interactive.

Members don't see this ad.

as long as you have a good reason to drop it and feel confident explaining that in your interviews

Don't sweat it. My last semester of college I took a Marine Pollution Biology class for fun, but ended up absolutely loathing it. I dropped it, got my W. I never looked back, and am now in med school.

Suffering through the class and getting a potential B or worse is not worth it. If the issue ever comes up, just say that you didn't need the class but instead wanted to spend your time doing something else productive like research, volunteering, etc.

Oh, and remember...MCAT, MCAT, MCAT! No one will care about your W. But a low MCAT score will not do you any favors. Absolutely drop this class if you don't need it and if it is interfering with your MCAT studying.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quit fussing. In my 10+ years of doing interviews, I've never seen someone asked about any withdrawals.

So I'm going to drop my Dev Bio/ Embryology class because I don't need it for my major and because the class being comparative and the professor monotone isn't doing it. I'll still be full time, and thanks to it I'll be given more time to retake the mcat.
What do you think? Should I push through it and potentially get a B but have a minor easier time in Embryo in MS? Or should I drop it get As in all my other classes and spend the time I would have dedicated trying to get a good mcat score?

Opinions? I'll probably end up with a B admittedly because the course is beyond me half the time and not interactive.

Alright, perfect. Woo for getting 4 extra hours a week to dedicate to mcat studying.