Wait-list Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can some one explain the concept of poaching? How does that even work
Visual representation:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• POACHED EGG.jpg
    POACHED EGG.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 8 users
Yea, if someone is kind enough to explain poaching? Pleaaase

and..

1) Do schools see your current accepted list and waitlist list BEFORE they make the decision to give you an acceptance? Does that information get factored?

2) If so, that begs the question, if you're accepted at a higher ranked school, will they be adverse to giving you an acceptance thinking you're going to keep with the current acceptance?

Yea, if someone is kind enough to explain poaching? Pleaaase

and..

1) Do schools see your current accepted list and waitlist list BEFORE they make the decision to give you an acceptance? Does that information get factored?

2) If so, that begs the question, if you're accepted at a higher ranked school, will they be adverse to giving you an acceptance thinking you're going to keep with the current acceptance?
Poaching is basically a more 'desirable' school accepting students who are currently planning to attend another school. Think of it like poaching animals (hunting animals protected or claimed by someone else), only instead of getting shot, the students ditch School A to attend School B.

1. They see your current acceptances, not waitlists. They can see that for all students they're considering at this point.
2. They may be. This is one of the few situations where a letter of interest actually provides additional info for the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Poaching is basically a more 'desirable' school accepting students who are currently planning to attend another school. Think of it like poaching animals (hunting animals protected or claimed by someone else), only instead of getting shot, the students ditch School A to attend School B.

1. They see your current acceptances, not waitlists. They can see that for all students they're considering at this point.
2. They may be. This is one of the few situations where a letter of interest actually provides additional info for the school.

So what if someone doesn't have no acceptances. does the school also "poach" them?

So what if someone doesn't have no acceptances. does the school also "poach" them?
Think of poaching like stealing. You can't steal something that no one possesses.

Reactions: 1 user
Think of poaching like stealing. You can't steal something that no one possesses.
Oh okay, but does that mean schools prefer to poach rather than accept students that dont have acceptances... I know I am being overly nervous but it is such a vital time.

And... one last follow-up question about poaching from me...

Is poaching a negotiation between the deans(?) of the schools? Or does Dean X just emails/calls Dean Y and tell him/her that School X will offer the applicant of School Y an acceptance?

Oh okay, but does that mean schools prefer to poach rather than accept students that dont have acceptances... I know I am being overly nervous but it is such a vital time.
I would figure it's more that students who are better candidates are more likely to have gotten at least 1 other acceptance, so they'll be the first ones pulled off waitlists.
And... one last follow-up question about poaching from me...

Is poaching a negotiation between the deans(?) of the schools? Or does Dean X just emails/calls Dean Y and tell him/her that School X will offer the applicant of School Y an acceptance?
No, it's just them offering acceptance to the student (and I believe, yes, there is an AAMC recommendation about informing the first school).

Are you speaking from experience or postulating?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

We do steal students that have been accepted at other schools when it's time to pull from the waitlist.
That is all that is meant by poaching.
Yes, to "steal" from another school is poaching.
This doesn't come into play until after traffic day.
We can only see where candidates are accepted, not where they have been waitlisted.
No. We take the next best candidate on the waitlist (if and when we get to it).
Sometimes equally good candidates are holding acceptances to very different types of schools.
It is easier to poach from some schools than others.

Then there's this, which I'll post in lieu of tracking down the official Traffic Rules again.
Why do the schools need to notify the other schools of "poaching"?
It's a traffic violation if we don't.
and
I can't imagine what benefit there would be in not notifying the student of a committee decision but the school cannot see the alternate waitlist acceptances until a decision has been submitted to AMCAS.
Required poaching notification begins in June.

Sorry those are all gyngyn...there have been others but I just did a quick search with 'poaching' and 'gyngyn' because he's posted in this thread and thus was on the tip of my fingers for adcoms to search for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, is there any AAMC data that details the net empty seats on traffic day?
Total MD seats - individuals with at least one acceptance?

similarly, Number of seats eventually filled by applicants with no acceptances on April 30?

trying to buoy a good friend, with thoughts that many seats still open:)

would love to see a daily chart of counts of offers to applicants without any offers, every day post traffic

super bummed out. found out I'm not in the high alternate list for the only 2 schools I'm waitlisted at. pretty much means a no at this point. I literally can't focus on anything besides how much I've failed during this application cycle. really tough to accept all of the hard work that I've put in throughout my life isn't appreciated.

super bummed out. found out I'm not in the high alternate list for the only 2 schools I'm waitlisted at. pretty much means a no at this point. I literally can't focus on anything besides how much I've failed during this application cycle. really tough to accept all of the hard work that I've put in throughout my life isn't appreciated.
It's never over till it's over! And you haven't failed! Making the decision to even apply to medical school is a huge accomplishment in itself, and you have a lot to be proud of :)

Dude, I feel the same way. But I've finally reached the point where I'm not gonna let that get to me anymore. I'm a badass human being, and if the schools couldn't realize that this year then I will damn sure make them realize it next year. You got this, friend. A no one year isn't a no for all eternity.

Reactions: 4 users
How did you find this out?

@le_bartender Well said! and seconded! Unfortunately it's becoming more and more the norm not to get in the first time around. There are forces beyond our control, which of course no one wants to hear. But every year for as many that get accepted there are just as many EQUALLY qualified who don't. You just do everything you can and then roll the dice. Get a backup plan in place, call your schools to find out what they would like to see improved and DON'T.GIVE.UP.

Reactions: 2 users
How did you find this out?

one through sdn, and the other school emailed.

@le_bartender Well said! and seconded! Unfortunately it's becoming more and more the norm not to get in the first time around. There are forces beyond our control, which of course no one wants to hear. But every year for as many that get accepted there are just as many EQUALLY qualified who don't. You just do everything you can and then roll the dice. Get a backup plan in place, call your schools to find out what they would like to see improved and DON'T.GIVE.UP.
it's really tough to put it past and move on, since the whole process was literally 5% of my life so far. also, I took on debt for the whole process so I get reminded of it every time I look at my finances.

one through sdn, and the other school emailed.

it's really tough to put it past and move on, since the whole process was literally 5% of my life so far. also, I took on debt for the whole process so I get reminded of it every time I look at my finances.

I know it's hard. Especially when it comes to money. Idk. All I can really say if eff the patriarchy!

Believe me, I get it. I didn't say the situation wasn't messed up. I had to move into my parents' garage after living on my own for years. I felt like I sacrificed more than they (the adcoms) could ever understand. But dang it! I'm turning that frustration and despair into determination. Eff 'em is right!

There's also been movement at Case. :eek::barf:

Today saw more than a little movement at Hofstra. I also saw NY Med, GT and at least a few others I will report tomorrow.
If you could also check how much movement has been occurring at the University of Florida, I would really appreciate it @gyngyn! I know there were some offers made but I have no idea how much.

If you could also check how much movement has been occurring at the University of Florida, I would really appreciate it @gyngyn! I know there were some offers made but I have no idea how much.
We don't have a whole lot of overlap with U of FL, but if I see something I'll post.

Today saw more than a little movement at Hofstra. I also saw NY Med, GT and at least a few others I will report tomorrow.

That's interesting because on SDN I only saw two people get pulled off the wait list yesterday and none today. Was it enough movement that you think they might be done for now? Should I not expect to hear from them anytime soon (or at all)?

That's interesting because on SDN I only saw two people get pulled off the wait list yesterday and none today. Was it enough movement that you think they might be done for now? Should I not expect to hear from them anytime soon (or at all)?
It's hard to say, but one thing is for certain: once movement starts, it will continue.

Reactions: 1 users
We don't have a whole lot of overlap with U of FL, but if I see something I'll post.
@gyngyn so you can only see movement at schools that have overlap with yours? i'm guessing you probably won't see much movement at cooper (in NJ) then, if at all?

Thank you so much! :) Maybe @LizzyM or @Goro have seen something on their end if there has been any overlap for them? Not sure if you are all from the same institution.
@Goro is at a DO school and they don't even communicate with each other!

@gyngyn so you can only see movement at schools that have overlap with yours? i'm guessing you probably won't see much movement at cooper (in NJ) then, if at all?
They actually accept a fair number of CA applicants, so there is some overlap.

They actually accept a fair number of CA applicants, so there is some overlap.
oh okay, didn't know that! if you happen to see some movement there, would you mind letting me know? thank you!!!

It's hard to say, but one thing is for certain: once movement starts, it will continue.

Are you looking at the SDN forums to gauge WL movement? Or do ADCOMs have some special way to tell?

I'm feeling a bit down, I saw people at 3 of the 4 schools I'm WLed at get pulled off the list. :( I guess that means I am toast?

Are you looking at the SDN forums to gauge WL movement? Or do ADCOMs have some special way to tell?

I'm feeling a bit down, I saw people at 3 of the 4 schools I'm WLed at get pulled off the list. :( I guess that means I am toast?
We see daily updates of where our accepted (and waitlisted) students are accepted.
You are not toast 'til it's over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
We see daily updates of where our accepted (and waitlisted) students are accepted.
You are not toast 'til it's over.

Oh okay. I don't understand this whole poaching thing. Can't you guys spread the wealth haha?

Oh okay. I don't understand this whole poaching thing. Can't you guys spread the wealth haha?
There are many students holding an acceptance at a school from which they can be easily be "poached" by another school they would prefer to attend.

There are many students holding an acceptance at a school from which they can be easily be "poached" by another school they would prefer to attend.
Have you seen any movement at UASOM?

Last edited: