Wait-list Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ One of my waitlist schools specifically said no movement until May regardless of how many seats open up before

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do schools usually over accept? It seems like there have been a lot of withdrawn acceptances at schools, but no waitlist movement yet.
i think it depends on the school. the school i'm WL at is a new school so they said they can't overaccept since they don't have enough data about how many people will withdraw but i'm sure some schools do over accept

Reactions: 1 user
Do schools usually over accept? It seems like there have been a lot of withdrawn acceptances at schools, but no waitlist movement yet.
I would think that the vast majority of schools over accept. The only one I know that doesn't is CCLCM, and that's because they can't go over a certain number of students per year, since it's funded.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools over accept - many have years of data of how many kids accept the offer and how many are needed from the waitlist. But it could be playing with fire to start accepting kids before the April 30 deadline. Safer to just wait till you have a better idea of how many seats you need to fill

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
haha I am on one WL and the school I am on a WL for said they need to burn through "overflow" acceptances before they start offering seats to the WL people. Even then, I would have to be on the top 1-2 people to even stand a chance. heres to hoping! :D
If you don't mind sharing, what school are you waitlisted at?

I would think that the vast majority of schools over accept. The only one I know that doesn't is CCLCM, and that's because they can't go over a certain number of students per year, since it's funded.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile
I thought all schools were only accredited for a certain number of spots and could not go over that number?

the school I am WL at specifically said they have overflow acceptances before they move on to the WL. so call the school and ask

but how do you know no movement has occurred? you will be surprised by how little percentage of people post on SDN (if that is where you are getting your information)

I thought all schools were only accredited for a certain number of spots and could not go over that number?
The number needed to fill a class varies by school, but it is common to offer twice the number of acceptances (at least) before traffic day. The excess is depleted over the course of time and then we go to the waitlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I got placed on the bottom third of the MD waitlist I was on. A little disappointing...so now I'm looking towards my backup plans

The number needed to fill a class varies by school, but it is common to offer twice the number of acceptances (at least) before traffic day. The excess is depleted over the course of time and then we go to the waitlist.
Just to clarify: schools often accept at least twice the number of seats in the class, right? And then this usually results in a class size somewhat less than expected (prior to filling from the waitlist)?

Just to clarify: schools often accept at least twice the number of seats in the class, right? And then this usually results in a class size somewhat less than expected (prior to filling from the waitlist)?
Many schools accept 2.5x the number of available seats. This accounts for those with multiple acceptances who go elsewhere. When the total ticks down to the desired class size, the waitlist is tapped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist expectation v. reality:

Expectation:
G6xQ5J.gif

Reality:
tumblr_n086os0eaW1ql591ho1_500.gif

b7b5048a-d255-11e4-a92f-12716a182fc8.gif

8a714ea0-6d18-0132-1830-0a7dfd902b7c.gif

Reactions: 30 users
This is making me more nervous haha. I'm on 2 WLs but the one that I really want to get into offers about acceptances 225-235 for ~100-110 seats. That means the waitlist will only move 5-15 spots. Really hoping they make something like 1.5x offers per seat rather than 2x.

Last edited:
How do you know this? I know nothing about my WL school!
You need to call their admissions office. Some schools don't reveal this information even if you do ask.

[VALJEAN]
♫One (business)day more!♫
Another day, another destiny.♫
This never-ending road to Med School;
These men who seem to know my mcats and my grades
Will surely give me a second chance.
One day more!♫

Reactions: 9 users
Really hoping there's quite a bit of movement for all of us. Good luck friends

Reactions: 6 users
Heard back from my last...helloooo Waitlist #5. FML.

hang in there friend. btw your anki post/thread/advice/guide got me a 98% on my anatomy final :p:D

Reactions: 4 users
That seriously sucks, but 5 chances for an acceptance doesn't look so bad, eh? Stay strong, I'm sure you'll hear good news soon!

That seriously sucks, but 5 chances for an acceptance doesn't look so bad, eh? Stay strong, I'm sure you'll hear good news soon!
Meh, I rather feel like 5 post-interview 'No's (well, 7...the other 2 just had the guts to actually come out and SAY 'reject' to my face) means something - and not anything promising.

4 MD interviews, 4 wait lists. Just got my last one today :/

I'm still hanging around waiting for my last school to wait list/reject me. Surely at this point it's not going to be an acceptance.

Maybe they're waiting until Monday ( after they have more space) to offer you an acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
Stressing over whether to send letters of interest/updates to three of my WL schools that welcome them. I think at this point I might as well wait until Monday - it's not like anyone is going to read them today.

Maybe they're waiting until Monday ( after they have more space) to offer you an acceptance.

Yeeeeaaah, that's the ticket! Thank you. Now I'm feeling much more optimistic!

Lol. I'm trying ok! We have to think this way !

Hopefully someone on this thread can answer this: Are schools more willing to give a spot to a WL student who has 0 acceptances elsewhere? Or would a school be more likely to give a spot to a student who received multiple acceptances?

Hopefully someone on this thread can answer this: Are schools more willing to give a spot to a WL student who has 0 acceptances elsewhere? Or would a school be more likely to give a spot to a student who received multiple acceptances?

I'm pretty sure they have no preference between the two, unless they believe that a person is more likely to attend one of the other acceptances more than their school.

I'm pretty sure they have no preference between the two, unless they believe that a person is more likely to attend one of the other acceptances more than their school.

And this is the only situation in which intent letters have sway according to the senior adcom posters on here

this is the first time in quite a few months that I have actually been excited for a monday

Reactions: 12 users
this is the first time in quite a few months that I have actually been excited for a monday

Yeah, see I have a neuroscience final Monday, so regardless of the fact it's traffic day, I'm still not excited haha

Yeah, see I have a neuroscience final Monday, so regardless of the fact it's traffic day, I'm still not excited haha
I do too! Why does traffic day have to fall on my finals week?! :nailbiting:

Last edited:
I heard that the deadline has changed from april 30th to may 2nd to keep one acceptance. Is that true ? So people have till the end of monday to make a decision now? And how exactly does that work Like you have to contact every single school and officially withdraw ?

I heard that the deadline has changed from april 30th to may 2nd to keep one acceptance. Is that true ? So people have till the end of monday to make a decision now? And how exactly does that work Like you have to contact every single school and officially withdraw ?

Yeah according to AAMC guidelines since April 30 fell on a Saturday it moves to the next business day. I guess you can go about withdrawing in anyway you like as long as you do it lol idk

Apr 30th was not a business day, so nothing could really *change* that day. It really shouldn't have an effect, nothing was going to happen Sat or Sun anyway.
And, yes, essentially. Those with multiple acceptances need to officially withdraw from all but one school (not counting WL). Doing so generally involves contacting the schools.

I've been super antsy this entire past weekend with my school having had some WL movement on Friday. It's definitely going to be a supppeeerr long night :lame: gl tomorrow everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm neurotically checking my email and SDN for any signs of movement from the 2 schools I'm WL'd at, and it's Sunday. D:

Reactions: 2 users