Wait-list Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It would be nice to get a decision before AMCAS opens up for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Hopefully, between April 30th and early May, we'll start seeing acceptances due to AAMC traffic rules.

Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully, between April 30th and early May, we'll start seeing acceptances due to AAMC traffic rules.
I actually heard most schools don't finalize who to accept off waitlists until late may early June :/

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually heard most schools don't finalize who to accept off waitlists until late may early June :/

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

But after April 30th, students holding more than one acceptance will have to choose one school to commit to. This will result in spots opening up for wait-list applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
But after April 30th, students holding more than one acceptance will have to choose one school to commit to. This will result in spots opening up for wait-list applicants.
Right, but how quickly the schools decide which wait-list students to offer those spots to is variable. Look at how long it took them to make their acceptances in the first place...some schools STILL aren't done!

Reactions: 4 users
Right, but how quickly the schools decide which wait-list students to offer those spots to is variable. Look at how long it took them to make their acceptances in the first place...some schools STILL aren't done!
You have a point. Hopefully it's not as long as you say since they've already reviewed our applications prior to wait-listing us.

You have a point. Hopefully it's not as long as you say since they've already reviewed our applications prior to wait-listing us.
Haha, I have not made ANY predictions on how long it will take them. If this cycle has taught me anything, it's that I'm happier if I just stop trying to nail down a timeline for this stuff and just let myself be surprised by any news.

Should hear back from my last MD hope on or before traffic day. REALLY hoping that if they aren't going to accept me straight away that they just reject me. Thankfully, if I'm waitlisted, they rank the list and let you know your ranking. Ready to be done with this terrible process.

Reactions: 2 users
May 2nd is the day when those holding multiple acceptances reduce to one. It is at this point that schools will know if they can predict open seats and begin waitlist consideration. The school can already roughly predict this based on where their accepted are holding, but many surprises do occur.

Last edited:
Do schools notify you about WL movement by email or phone? Or does it vary by school? How much time do you have to reply generally? Do they speak to one person and then wait and then go to the next? It seems like it would take a long time? Sorry for all the questions, but the process is so secretive!!!!!!!
I believe it varies by school, but the majority use e-mail. Normally you have 2 weeks to respond or you forfeit the offer of acceptance. Most schools rank you in the waitlist and if a spot opens up, they'll offer you an acceptance based on your rank in the list. If that waitlist applicant doesn't respond or denies the offer of acceptance, then they'll send the offer to the next ranked applicant on the list.

Replace "will" with "may" for a more accurate statement. There are way more qualified applicants than spots available.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
That why you apply to a lot of schools that are near your stats. If you have good healthcare experience and apply to a lot of schools that are near your GPA/MCAT you will get some interviews.

Define qualified, because with the generally accepted usage of the word, your statement doesn't really mesh with reality very well.
If your stats are near or at the schools average and you have good ECs your app will at least get looked at by an Adcom member closely. If you apply to many schools within your stats range you may get some interviews. Admissions are highly competitive but you can improve your odds by being realistic with what schools you send secondaries to.

If your stats are near or at the schools average and you have good ECs your app will at least get looked at by an Adcom member closely. If you apply to many schools within your stats range you may get some interviews. Admissions are highly competitive but you can improve your odds by being realistic with what schools you send secondaries to.
That why you apply to a lot of schools that are near your stats. If you have good healthcare experience and apply to a lot of schools that are near your GPA/MCAT you will get some interviews.

Wow, thanks so much! If only someone had told us all of this before the application cycle!!!

But seriously, neither "looked at by an Adcom member closely" nor "get some interviews" are equivalent to actually getting in, which is what was being discussed. I don't deny that applying smart can improve your odds, but that's a FAR less drastic statement than your original one of "there will be a spot for you."

Furthermore, there's still the issue of defining 'qualified'. Honestly, the sizeable majority of people applying to med school are probably 'qualified' in the general sense that they could make it through med school and perform the job adequately. The majority of applicants, however, do not get in. So I'm going to assume you're using a different metric for qualified.

Sorry, but you have to understand that coming into the waitlist thread and telling people that if they were 'qualified' (whatever the hell your definition of that is) they would have a spot is going to rustle some feathers. Throw in some condescendingly simple explanations of the application process and...just, please, stop.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't agree more.

Wow, thanks so much! If only someone had told us all of this before the application cycle!!!

But seriously, neither "looked at by an Adcom member closely" nor "get some interviews" are equivalent to actually getting in, which is what was being discussed. I don't deny that applying smart can improve your odds, but that's a FAR less drastic statement than your original one of "there will be a spot for you."

Furthermore, there's still the issue of defining 'qualified'. Honestly, the sizeable majority of people applying to med school are probably 'qualified' in the general sense that they could make it through med school and perform the job adequately. The majority of applicants, however, do not get in. So I'm going to assume you're using a different metric for qualified.

Sorry, but you have to understand that coming into the waitlist thread and telling people that if they were 'qualified' (whatever the hell your definition of that is) they would have a spot is going to rustle some feathers. Throw in some condescendingly simple explanations of the application process and...just, please, stop.

giphy.gif

Do schools notify you about WL movement by email or phone? Or does it vary by school? How much time do you have to reply generally? Do they speak to one person and then wait and then go to the next? It seems like it would take a long time? Sorry for all the questions, but the process is so secretive!!!!!!!
Notification varies by school but email and phone are common. At this stage 2 weeks is normal. The number notified varies by the situation.

I just got an email from one of my wait list schools and all it really said was, "If you still want to be on the wait list, you don't need to take any further action." Lol, what was the point of that? Are they trying to weed people out by giving them heart attacks?

Reactions: 6 users
I just got an email from one of my wait list schools and all it really said was, "If you still want to be on the wait list, you don't need to take any further action." Lol, what was the point of that? Are they trying to weed people out by giving them heart attacks?
Same and I did have a minor heart attack....hopefully that means there is movement coming and they want to make sure they will pull people serious about attending (What I'm telling myself...)

Reactions: 1 users

Maybe a lot of waitlistees flooding their emails with what they need to do come April 30 to stay in contention? I can imagine that happening quite a bit this week and next :rolleyes:

LOL this made me laugh...some schools are funny!!:laugh:

I wish I got some sort of email from my wait listed schools. At least you know that they know you're alive.

Reactions: 12 users
I wish I got some sort of email from my wait listed schools. At least you know that they know you're alive.
My WL school emailed us a few weeks ago to ask if we're still interested. I did admittedly freak out when I got an email from them lol but it was nice to hear from them!

I really don't. I can't handle seeing another med school's email in my inbox only to find out they are only emailing to tell me hi. I don't even want to see any traces of them in my life unless it's an acceptance. I can't handle it. I just can't.

For the past few days I've gotten a massive influx of spam callers and with every call I die a little inside knowing that it's not an acceptance call o-(-< One even tried calling me four days in a row from the same number but I know it's spam because they had the audacity to actually leave a voicemail on the first day LOL

For the past few days I've gotten a massive influx of spam callers and with every call I die a little inside knowing that it's not an acceptance call o-(-< One even tried calling me four days in a row from the same number but I know it's spam because they had the audacity to actually leave a voicemail on the first day LOL
Same dude. I still live in Cleveland and get calls from 216 numbers and emails with "Case Western" in the subject line all the time. It's so anxiety-inducing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

That's the beauty of living in Canada. All my calls are from Canadian numbers, so I know which one is going to change my life before I pick up =.=

Hi friends. I've had 4 MD interviews: 3 WL, 1 pending decision. 3 of them are in Puerto Rico and 1 is NYMC (top choice, currently WL). I've had 1 DO interview + acceptance (LECOM). OOS for all schools.
I'll be attending the DO school if I don't hear good news from the others, but man I would love the chance to attend NYMC!

my last md interview decision is coming out tomorrow XD. hopefully it wont be another waitlist

my last md interview decision is coming out tomorrow XD. hopefully it wont be another waitlist
Fingers crossed!
I've got another one pending, but no word as to when I should expect it.

Hi friends. I've had 4 MD interviews: 3 WL, 1 pending decision. 3 of them are in Puerto Rico and 1 is NYMC (top choice, currently WL). I've had 1 DO interview + acceptance (LECOM). OOS for all schools.
I'll be attending the DO school if I don't hear good news from the others, but man I would love the chance to attend NYMC!

Hi Jugo. I'm in the same position and enjoying stalking the NYMC thread with you ;). Also going DO if I do not get in.

Hoping we both end up in Valhalla :xf: I have a friend who goes in Puerto Rico and likes it very much - I would have applied if my Spanish were better.

Last edited:
Hey guys, got my second waitlist today. 2 interviews, 2 waitlists. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for everyone! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
Just sent in an LOI to my top choice. Nothing left to do but wait!

Reactions: 4 users
Just sent in an LOI to my top choice. Nothing left to do but wait!

I think I recognize you from the Miller thread, I believe we were waitlisted around the same time. Silently praying it's another school you're writing that to haha :angelic:

In all honesty my dread levels have been increasing exponentially as we creep closer to traffic day. Constantly trying to justify why sending another update or LOI would be a bad idea, and that I won't regret it if I do have to reapply. Can it just be next week already?!

My top choice doesn't allow any updates unless specifically requested... How am I supposed to show interest? Is simply remaining on the wait list showing my interest for the school?

My top choice doesn't allow any updates unless specifically requested... How am I supposed to show interest? Is simply remaining on the wait list showing my interest for the school?

Yep. If you're staying on the list that means you're interested.

I think I recognize you from the Miller thread, I believe we were waitlisted around the same time. Silently praying it's another school you're writing that to haha :angelic:

In all honesty my dread levels have been increasing exponentially as we creep closer to traffic day. Constantly trying to justify why sending another update or LOI would be a bad idea, and that I won't regret it if I do have to reapply. Can it just be next week already?!

Yea I'm also waitlisted at Miller but I don't think I'd attend so I didn't write anything to them. The students did not seem too stoked on the curriculum. I know I can only pray... Still waiting on one decision. I have a feeling next week is going to drag out.

Yep. If you're staying on the list that means you're interested.

Some people have said calling the office often shows interest, but that just sounds like an easy way to piss the admissions staff off. Could you get someone to write a new LOR with some updates and that is specifically tailored to the school to submit via the AMCAS letter service? Not sure if that counts as an update or not

Some people have said calling the office often shows interest, but that just sounds like an easy way to piss the admissions staff off. Could you get someone to write a new LOR with some updates and that is specifically tailored to the school to submit via the AMCAS letter service? Not sure if that counts as an update or not

I feel like if they specifically said not to send anything, that really means don't send anything

You are right. This does backfire.

Yea I'm also waitlisted at Miller but I don't think I'd attend so I didn't write anything to them. The students did not seem too stoked on the curriculum. I know I can only pray... Still waiting on one decision. I have a feeling next week is going to drag out.

Last edited:
I'm nervous that we all are talking about next week or May 2nd and the truth is that the days may drag on long after May 2nd. Who thinks that the schools will really start calling a lot of people from the WLs that very day? I really hope so, but I doubt it?!?!?!?!?!

At this point, I'm just along for the ride...Not expecting much, but praying for the very best.

I'd rather be stuck on a few rides than kicked outta the park entirely! Trying to remain optimistic here!
I was expecting this to be like a rollercoaster--pretty scary, but it all works out in the end. Instead it's more like a Ferris wheel that has become unhinged and is rolling out of control into a pit of fire.

Reactions: 15 users
I'm nervous that we all are talking about next week or May 2nd and the truth is that the days may drag on long after May 2nd. Who thinks that the schools will really start calling a lot of people from the WLs that very day? I really hope so, but I doubt it?!?!?!?!?!
It's possible that it'll go either way. You can check out last year's school specific threads to see when most people get off the waitlist.

Or just go through the 5 stages of premed grief like the rest of us and mellow out.

It's possible that it'll go either way. You can check out last year's school specific threads to see when most people get off the waitlist.

Or just go through the 5 stages of premed grief like the rest of us and mellow out.
The last stage of grief is acceptance!

So after buckling down to reapply (sent out PS to various editors, applied to a bunch of new jobs, was going to start rewriting app next week) I'm overjoyed and sooooo relieved to say that I was offered an acceptance off the waitlist at one of my state schools yesterday!!!!!!!!! Timing could not have been more ideal, as I was really really really dreading a scenario where I would spend tons of time reapplying and then get off a WL best case scenario late June. Soooo relieving to have this before I started pouring all my time into a reapp. I'm also flying up to NYC tomorrow to visit my best friend from growing up (booked this months ago) so I have a conveniently timed celebratory weekend!

The circumstances were quite surreal actually. I had a phone interview at 5pm yesterday with a new company that went really well and I was psyched (reapp prep here with switching up the job) and then went to the gym as per usual. Checked my email on the drive home (I'm a cop so nobody gonna pull me over for distracted driving... wait forget I said that, I'm NotaCop) and literally started freaking the f*** out when I opened the acceptance. Hit the gas and blared the tunes for a solid 15 minutes while just driving around town at illegal speeds and screaming randomly at the top of my lungs and periodically laughing like a giddy 6 year old who just discovered Saturday morning cartoons.

Just goes to show you, good things will happen when you least expect them to (such as when you are starting the reapp ramp up), and when they do you should break traffic laws and make poor decisions while scaring pedestrians and other drivers who may have their windows down.

HUUUUUGE thank you to everyone in this thread and elsewhere on SDN who has supported, encouraged, advised, and otherwise impacted me over the past year. I joined this site quite afraid of the pre-med all-stars, neuroticism, and negativity that seemed to be everywhere, but it is truly amazing how many pockets of encouragement and positivity can be found here among our incredible community. When you're just as excited to tell the anonymous randos online about your acceptance as you are to tell your parents, that really says a lot. So thank you all, seriously thank you for everything. I hope everyone in this thread can experience this euphoria very soon, and I have the utmost faith in you all both now and in your future careers as physicians!

Last edited:
Reactions: 62 users