Wait-list Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So after buckling down to reapply (sent out PS to various editors, applied to a bunch of new jobs, was going to start rewriting app next week) I'm overjoyed and sooooo relieved to say that I was offered an acceptance off the waitlist at one of my state schools yesterday!!!!!!!!! Timing could not have been more ideal, as I was really really really dreading a scenario where I would spend tons of time reapplying and then get off a WL best case scenario late June. Soooo relieving to have this before I started pouring all my time into a reapp. I'm also flying up to NYC to visit my best friend from growing up (booked this months ago) so I have a conveniently timed celebratory weekend!

The circumstances were quite surreal actually. I had a phone interview at 5pm yesterday with a new company that went really well and I was psyched (reapp prep here with switching up the job) and then went to the gym as per usual. Checked my email on the drive home (I'm a cop so nobody gonna pull me over for distracted driving... wait forget I said that, I'm NotaCop) and literally started freaking the f*** out when I opened the acceptance. Hit the gas and blared the tunes for a solid 15 minutes while just driving around town at illegal speeds and screaming randomly at the top of my lungs and periodically laughing like a giddy 6 year old who just discovered Saturday morning cartoons.

Just goes to show you, good things will happen when you least expect them to (such as when you are starting the reapp ramp up), and when they do you should break traffic laws and make poor decisions while scaring pedestrians and other drivers who may have their windows down.

HUUUUUGE thank you to everyone in this thread and elsewhere on SDN who has supported, encouraged, advised, and otherwise impacted me over the past year. I joined this site quite afraid of the pre-med all-stars, neuroticism, and negativity that seemed to be everywhere, but it is truly amazing how many pockets of encouragement and positivity can be found here among our incredible community. When you're just as excited to tell the anonymous randos online about your acceptance as you are to tell your parents, that really says a lot. So thank you all, seriously thank you for everything. I hope everyone in this thread can experience this euphoria very soon, and I have the utmost faith in you all both now and in your future careers as physicians!
congrats

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So after buckling down to reapply (sent out PS to various editors, applied to a bunch of new jobs, was going to start rewriting app next week) I'm overjoyed and sooooo relieved to say that I was offered an acceptance off the waitlist at one of my state schools yesterday!!!!!!!!! Timing could not have been more ideal, as I was really really really dreading a scenario where I would spend tons of time reapplying and then get off a WL best case scenario late June. Soooo relieving to have this before I started pouring all my time into a reapp. I'm also flying up to NYC to visit my best friend from growing up (booked this months ago) so I have a conveniently timed celebratory weekend!

The circumstances were quite surreal actually. I had a phone interview at 5pm yesterday with a new company that went really well and I was psyched (reapp prep here with switching up the job) and then went to the gym as per usual. Checked my email on the drive home (I'm a cop so nobody gonna pull me over for distracted driving... wait forget I said that, I'm NotaCop) and literally started freaking the f*** out when I opened the acceptance. Hit the gas and blared the tunes for a solid 15 minutes while just driving around town at illegal speeds and screaming randomly at the top of my lungs and periodically laughing like a giddy 6 year old who just discovered Saturday morning cartoons.

Just goes to show you, good things will happen when you least expect them to (such as when you are starting the reapp ramp up), and when they do you should break traffic laws and make poor decisions while scaring pedestrians and other drivers who may have their windows down.

HUUUUUGE thank you to everyone in this thread and elsewhere on SDN who has supported, encouraged, advised, and otherwise impacted me over the past year. I joined this site quite afraid of the pre-med all-stars, neuroticism, and negativity that seemed to be everywhere, but it is truly amazing how many pockets of encouragement and positivity can be found here among our incredible community. When you're just as excited to tell the anonymous randos online about your acceptance as you are to tell your parents, that really says a lot. So thank you all, seriously thank you for everything. I hope everyone in this thread can experience this euphoria very soon, and I have the utmost faith in you all both now and in your future careers as physicians!
Unreal! That's incredible. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, really happy for you and thanks for sharing your story! Helps those still waiting to hear back!

Wow thanks for all the vibes guys!!!!! Y'all rock!

Reactions: 1 users
I think from now on, like @NotaCop , we should post if we get off one of our waitlists. I think our lives could all use a little more awesomeness and good news at this point in the cycle, even if it's just living vicariously though others.

Also, my not-so-coppy friend, major congrats.

Reactions: 17 users
Joining this thread! I have 1 MD waitlist. I'm praying people currently accepted choose other schools lol

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats!!!

Sorry to be that kid but I can't resist asking... will you withdraw from NYMC?

No worries, and I am letting this sink in a few more days before I start to make difficult decisions as to my other waitlist spots so I can't really say right now. Want to do what is right and best for me and also the other applicants hoping to get in, so I will be sure to decide soon.

If/when I do, I hope it betters your chances of an acceptance!

The people who say this are either ignorant pre-meds, or even more ignorant parents of pre-meds.

Don't do this.

One more LOR isn't going to magically push you over into the II or accept column.

Some people have said calling the office often shows interest, but that just sounds like an easy way to piss the admissions staff off. Could you get someone to write a new LOR with some updates and that is specifically tailored to the school to submit via the AMCAS letter service? Not sure if that counts as an update or not

Anyone have any tips for bettering my chances of getting off a waitlist that isn't ranked and accepts updates? Admissions says they re-review applicants on the wait list when it's time to accept more people. I'm sending an update next week with about 400 new hours of volunteering. Anything else I can do or is that plenty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any tips for bettering my chances of getting off a waitlist that isn't ranked and accepts updates? Admissions says they re-review applicants on the wait list when it's time to accept more people. I'm sending an update next week with about 400 new hours of volunteering. Anything else I can do or is that plenty?
Add why you really want to attend that school within that letter as well. That's all that I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The people who say this are either ignorant pre-meds, or even more ignorant parents of pre-meds.

Don't do this.

One more LOR isn't going to magically push you over into the II or accept column.

I think the best approach is to ask the school directly if they accept an additional LOR or LOI. Also if they do accept letters of LOR they mostly prefer it to be sent directly to them at this point in the cycle rather than AMCAS.
I also hear stories about applicants who kept calling till they got admitted but i also feel like I would be annoyed if I were the adcom. Once the unranked schools also rank their WL I dont think there is much we can do to change their mind :(

PS. Shall we start the count down! 10 daysss left (to May 2nd) Wishing all of us good luck ! :luck::xf:

Reactions: 4 users
And so begins one of the most stress-inducing weeks of our lives. May the wait-list gods smile upon all of us! :)

Reactions: 9 users
One of the schools I've been waitlisted at neither recommends nor discourages sending in a LOI. Do you guys think I should or shouldn't send one based on that info?

Last edited:
One of the schools I've been waitlisted at neither recommends nor discourages sending in an LOI. Do you guys think I should or shouldn't send one based on that info?
I think it depends on if you have an acceptance elsewhere. I've asked around and it's quite apparently pointless to send one if you have no acceptances (because it's obvious you'd attend if you got accepted).

Here we go again... Monday's. Hoping for movement (and an acceptance) this week :D

Reactions: 7 users
I think it depends on if you have an acceptance elsewhere. I've asked around and it's quite apparently pointless to send one if you have no acceptances (because it's obvious you'd attend if you got accepted).

I think it also partly depends on whether the waitlist is ranked or not. If it isn't and you do have another acceptance, a LOI might have a little sway. If you don't have an acceptance and/or the list is ranked, I don't think it will change much.

4 more business days to may 2nd!

Reactions: 7 users
My apartment building wants me to sign a renewed lease by April 30 even though my current lease isn't up till June 30th aaaaaaargh

I'm trying to rewrite all my essays and the last thing I want to do is apartment hunting graaaaaaaah

I only ended up in this sketchy-ass building because last year I put finishing my apps ahead of finding an alternative to my old, mouse-infested place and had to take what I could get. why can't they wait till the month before like literally every other landlord I've ever had :mad::mad::mad: :dead::dead::dead::(:(:(

Last edited:
A little late to the party but congrats @NotaCop !!! That is so exciting :)

Ugh such dilemma...

1 acceptance
2 waitlists

Here's the problem...if I get off Dartmouth's waitlist I feel like I can't say no. However, my acceptance is to Drexel and my fiance works in Philadelphia. I have nothing to agonize over, yet I am. This process.....

Ugh such dilemma...

1 acceptance
2 waitlists

Here's the problem...if I get off Dartmouth's waitlist I feel like I can't say no. However, my acceptance is to Drexel and my fiance works in Philadelphia. I have nothing to agonize over, yet I am. This process.....

+1

1 acceptance (low tier state school, one of the cheapest in the country)
4 waitlist

Two of the WL schools I'd strongly consider taking over the state school if accepted, but neither are top tier (one is my alma mater so basically my dream school). Not nearly as much of a dilemma as with your fiancé, but same idea. There really should be no question here, and yet it's stressing me out even as just a hypothetical!

I guess on the flip side we should be thankful to even be in a position to stress about this lol.

Have you talked to him/her about moving and taking a new job? Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere but worth having the conversation at least

+2
1 acceptance and wait listed at my top choice. Just the thought of getting accepted at my top choice stresses me out, because it would be such a hard decision to make. As much as I wanna get accepted there, a tiny part of me hopes I don't.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Well, I don't know about y'all, but I've been dealing with the stress of the approaching waitlist movement by buying concert tickets. At least if I don't get into med school, I'll see some dope shows while reapplying. :horns:

Reactions: 8 users
Well, I don't know about y'all, but I've been dealing with the stress of the approaching waitlist movement by buying concert tickets. At least if I don't get into med school, I'll see some dope shows while reapplying. :horns:
Can you confirm that alot of the EVMS facebook members are current students?

Its ok you dont have to..I saw some people withdraw..hope to see movement soon!!!

I can tell you that at least 40 of them are current students, but probably closer to 45. I'm sure they're will be some movement in the next few weeks

+1 on waitlist distraction, I booked a trip for Tokyo next month. I'M SO EXCITED :soexcited:

+1 on waitlist distraction, I booked a trip for Tokyo next month. I'M SO EXCITED :soexcited:

WAIT YOUR DISTRACTION IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN MINE. I'm so jealous of all the food you're going to eat...

Reactions: 3 users
+1

4 waitlist

Two of the WL schools I'd strongly consider taking over the state school if accepted, but neither are top tier (one is my alma mater so basically my dream school). Not nearly as much of a dilemma as with your fiancé, but same idea. There really should be no question here, and yet it's stressing me out even as just a hypothetical!

I guess on the flip side we should be thankful to even be in a position to stress about this lol.

Have you talked to him/her about moving and taking a new job? Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere but worth having the conversation at least
Acceptance to one of the cheapest schools in the country...gooo onnn, take the money and run!

WAIT YOUR DISTRACTION IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN MINE. I'm so jealous of all the food you're going to eat...
I'm not finding travel as distracting as you'd hope...though I've been here 4mo now so it's more like I moved than I'm travelling, I guess

+1

4 waitlist

We've discussed it a lot already. He thinks Dartmouth is an opportunity I can't say no to. He has no issues relocating, but the income thing worries me...he would likely find it difficult up there. He's also talking about getting a masters in something or his mba.

I'm in Paris right now. I think traveling is definitely the way to go to forget about waitlist stress :)
Have fun in Tokyo :D

Reactions: 2 users
Haha concerts will be fun too! I have been saving up for this trip for like a year now and finally booked when plane tickets dropped. It's time for a Reset!!

upload_2016-4-27_16-52-37.png

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, the AAMC changed the multiple acceptances deadline to May 2nd. It's only a day later by my waitlist schools won't begin movement until Tuesday

Hey guys, the AAMC changed the multiple acceptances deadline to May 2nd. It's only a day later by my waitlist schools won't begin movement until Tuesday

The deadline didn't change, it's just because April 30th is a Saturday.

The deadline didn't change, it's just because April 30th is a Saturday.
I hope you're right. But that's pretty much verbatim over the phone from the admissions director at my state school. I guess one day doesn't make that much of a difference anyway :shrug:

haha I am on one WL and the school I am on a WL for said they need to burn through "overflow" acceptances before they start offering seats to the WL people. Even then, I would have to be on the top 1-2 people to even stand a chance. heres to hoping! :D

+2
1 acceptance and wait listed at my top choice. Just the thought of getting accepted at my top choice stresses me out, because it would be such a hard decision to make. As much as I wanna get accepted there, a tiny part of me hopes I don't.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

+3.

Accepted a couple places, but WLed at two top 20's. One of which my partner is at. #help

Do schools usually over accept? It seems like there have been a lot of withdrawn acceptances at schools, but no waitlist movement yet.