Wait listed... Retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takebacktap

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
So I was fortunate enough to receive a few interview invites, but so far I've been wait listed..

I went to a fairly competitive undergrad and also had a family crisis at the end of freshman year to the beginning sophomore year that really messed with my gpa.. (I explained that in my application)
So my science GPA is about a 3.3 and my oGPA is a 3.5. My DATs are 20AA. 19TS. 21PAT. 20RC. 23QR.
I'm starting to worry that my DAT scores aren't high enough to warrant me much movement on any wait lists..
I also plan on taking microbio and human a&p over the summer, which I've also indicated on AADSAS.

I need wisdom! Should I retake the DAT? I have one more interview left in January for my dream school :p

Members don't see this ad.

20AA is solid. Tough call, I probably wouldn't.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't, your DAT is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not retake your DAT.. Your GPA is slightly lower than the national average, which still shouldn't hurt you considering your above average DAT score..

So there's another piece of your application that isn't cutting it.. LORs? dental experience?

Just keep waiting.. I think you will end up being fine..

Reactions: 2 users
Do not retake your DAT.. Your GPA is slightly lower than the national average, which still shouldn't hurt you considering your above average DAT score..

So there's another piece of your application that isn't cutting it.. LORs? dental experience?

I've had over 800 hours of shadowing experience, really great LORs according to my interviewers, one interviewer told me that my personal statement brought her to tears :/, I've held multiple strong leadership positions in undergrad, was published for research, but idk ._.
I'm an Asian female... I don't know how much of an effect that would have, but someone once told me that it would hurt me :/ which I don't want to believe

If you were offered interviews, chances are your application is not the issue. Did you feel confident about your interviews? You should retake the DAT only if it becomes clear you will not get in for this cycle.

If you were offered interviews, chances are your application is not the issue. Did you feel confident about your interviews? You should retake the DAT only if it becomes clear you will not get in for this cycle.

The one interview I was so sure I nailed (one of my interviewers said "I expect to see you next fall" and the other said "really good job today"), I got an email saying that I had either made the wait list or had been rejected :/ I'm just a bit baffled

Hi
Just putting an update on here for anyone who might be going through posts!
I was invited to 6 interviews. I turned down two of the interviews because I got into my dream school! Of my 4 interviews, I had one rejection after being wait listed, and three acceptances :)

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations! Thanks for the update. So you did end up getting rejected from the one where your interviewers were really positive? That must have been confusing haha

Good job! Happy that u got accepted. Your application from what you described looked really good. Wow that's a pretty low number of schools you applied to

What a wonderful ending to your story! Congratulations. Very nice of you to update the community on the outcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Thanks for the update. So you did end up getting rejected from the one where your interviewers were really positive? That must have been confusing haha

Hahaha I actually ended up getting accepted there!

Good job! Happy that u got accepted. Your application from what you described looked really good. Wow that's a pretty low number of schools you applied to

I applied to around 10-12 schools, if I remember correctly! I just didn't hear back from the rest of the schools, but I'm A-okay with that!