General Admissions & OTCAS Wait lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gopher3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the chances of getting in from a wait list vary from year-year and school-school, but the wait list info given by schools is so vague.

Any guesses as to what percentage of people accept their positions offered? I was told I'm in the top 1/3 of a list for a program that has a yearly class of 60, do I have a good chance of getting in?

Just looking for guesses/insight because I am unfamiliar with this part of the application process. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Any guesses or insight wouldn't be worth much unless someone has experience with the school you're referring to....but then again, like you said, chances vary from year to year. Be happy you at least have an idea of where you stand on the waitlist! I'm on two waitlists and the schools wouldn't divulge any other information besides the fact that I'm on it.

Based on what I've read, schools that are ranked among the top 50 usually have a low turn0ver rate and can have waitlists as short as 4 and maybe one that gets accepted off the waitlist. Other schools that aren't so popular or prestigious can have fairly long waitlists and they may go pretty deep into them because the people they accept choose to go elsewhere.

Maybe there are some others that are stuck in waitlist purgatory that can commiserate/sympathize with us?!

Purgatory is a fantastic description of this situation!

I was hoping to hear from people who have been on wait lists in the past and are willing to share if they eventually got in, which school(s) they were on the list for and position on the list if they were told.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I went to interview at Samuel Merritt University, a current first year student said she was originally number 26 on the waitlist and got in to the class that Fall. It gives me hope since I'm on the waitlist and my only chance is at SMU so I guess I'm hopeful. And you should be too!

Anyone wait listed a Philly U and know how many people are on the list?