Wait until december to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Watson & Sick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cGPA after the summer will be around 3.2 and sGPA will be around 3.35. This is, however, only with the science pre-reqs (excluding orgo I & II which I will take in the fall and spring) and one upper level Bio. I take my MCAT at the end of July and am averaging 27+ on the practice exams (hopefully will improve by test day).

With scores back in August, should I apply then or wait until fall grades come in. The past few semesters have been less than stellar, but beginning last semester I am on an upward trend.

How much will applying in December disadvantage me and is the trade to have better grades and having Orgo I and another upper Bio on my transcript be worth it? Or should I bite the bullet and apply with the numbers and classes that I have now?

Any feedback would be helpful as I'm not sure where to go from here in the application process.

Members don't see this ad.

My cGPA after the summer will be around 3.2 and sGPA will be around 3.35. This is, however, only with the science pre-reqs (excluding orgo I & II which I will take in the fall and spring) and one upper level Bio. I take my MCAT at the end of July and am averaging 27+ on the practice exams (hopefully will improve by test day).

With scores back in August, should I apply then or wait until fall grades come in. The past few semesters have been less than stellar, but beginning last semester I am on an upward trend.

How much will applying in December disadvantage me and is the trade to have better grades and having Orgo I and another upper Bio on my transcript be worth it? Or should I bite the bullet and apply with the numbers and classes that I have now?

Any feedback would be helpful as I'm not sure where to go from here in the application process.
why take the MCAT without Orgo???? seems you are putting yourself at a disadvantage right there...not trying to be negative, I'm sure you have your reasons but that's just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've studied orgo a good bit and feel relatively comfortable with it. Talking with others it seems better to take it this year with partial orgo knowledge than it would next year with no knowledge of the new material on the new MCAT.

Please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

What are you averaging on BS subsection? Hard to do well w/o organic. Agree with ^^^, apply next year dude.

As always, the best bang for your buck means applying early and with a complete application.

That said: see how the MCAT goes/orgo 1 and re-evaluate in November. You know your chances are lower applying late, but if you have money to burn on a few schools you think you stand a chance at, why not? Be sure that if you get accepted, you won't have feelings of "what if I applied earlier and gotten in to a better school?"

As always, the best bang for your buck means applying early and with a complete application.

That said: see how the MCAT goes/orgo 1 and re-evaluate in November. You know your chances are lower applying late, but if you have money to burn on a few schools you think you stand a chance at, why not? Be sure that if you get accepted, you won't have feelings of "what if I applied earlier and gotten in to a better school?"

Thanks for the reply. These have been my general thoughts and I am hesitant for these reasons exactly. In the DO cycle how much does a December app hurt? I know there are those who have done it, but does this require an outstanding app?

if you can't apply without your grades this semester, its not worth it. the only sensible option (besides waiting until next cycle) is to apply right after you have your score. why the rush?

if you haven't heard from schools by the end of December, you could always send updates with your grades. I just don't think it makes sense to wait until you have those grades. I don't think people do that?

The real problem is your cGPA and sGPA are below many of the averages for the schools which puts you in a bad position to apply later in the cycle (assuming you're not URM). I'm in a similar situation to yours in that I'll probably have my application fully complete (MCAT in) in September minus Organic II (in December), but my sGPA and cGPA will be ~3.5. My advice is to submit as soon as your MCAT score comes in and list the remaining courses as planned/in-progress on AACOMAS. If you score high-20s or low-30s on the MCAT I think you'd probably have a reasonable chance applying late with those GPAs, but if your MCAT is low to mid-20s I think it'd be better to wait until next cycle. Make sure you register for your planned courses as soon as possible, and also make sure your university puts those planned courses on the official transcript that is sent to AACOMAS. If you do not make sure, they will ask you to remove any courses not listed as planned/in-progress on your official transcript, and the schools will not know your timeline unless it is on your secondary or talked about at your interview.

Last edited:
The real problem is your cGPA and sGPA are below many of the averages for the schools which puts you in a bad position to apply later in the cycle (assuming you're not URM). I'm in a similar situation to yours in that I'll probably have my application fully complete (MCAT in) in September minus Organic II (in December), but my sGPA and cGPA will be ~3.5. My advice is to submit as soon as your MCAT score comes in and list the remaining courses as planned/in-progress on AACOMAS. If you score high-20s or low-30s on the MCAT I think you'd probably have a reasonable chance applying late with those GPAs, but if your MCAT is low to mid-20s I think it'd be better to wait until next cycle. Make sure you register for your planned courses as soon as possible, and also make sure your university puts those planned courses on the official transcript that is sent to AACOMAS. If you do not make sure, they will ask you to remove any courses not listed as planned/in-progress on your official transcript, and the schools will not know your timeline unless it is on your secondary or talked about at your interview.

I dont think any official transcript will include plan/in-progress classes. It is just a "i will let u know i will take these classes" thing

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think any official transcript will include plan/in-progress classes. It is just a "i will let u know i will take these classes" thing

They will usually show up on your original transcript if you have officially registered for them through your college or university. I called my registrar's office and they confirmed that any courses I am signed up for will show up on the official transcript. This may vary from place to place so confirm before submitting. If the planned/in-progress courses are not on the official transcript AACOMAS will ask you to remove them.

I am literally in the same boat you are in, cGPA 3.16/sGPA3.35 but taking MCAT in August, and missing the same classes bio and orgo I & II. Not sure if I should apply this cycle or just wait until next cycle and my GPA should be higher. Good luck on MCAT!

They will usually show up on your original transcript if you have officially registered for them through your college or university. I called my registrar's office and they confirmed that any courses I am signed up for will show up on the official transcript. This may vary from place to place so confirm before submitting. If the planned/in-progress courses are not on the official transcript AACOMAS will ask you to remove them.

really? so for example, I need a chem lab that will not be enrolled in until Winter Quarter, and I only am enrolled in Physio Lab, Bio Chem Lab, and Physics Lab in Fall quarter....Thus, my transcript will only show Physio Lab, Bio Chem Lab, and Physics Lab as planned/In-progress? so I will have to delete Winter quarter's chem lab that is listed as Planned to be taken in winter quarter on AACOMAS?

also, if this is the case, it does not hurt if you did not put some pre-req classes on there as planned but you will take them in later quarter/semester nonetheless before matriculating?

Thanks,

really? so for example, I need a chem lab that will not be enrolled in until Winter Quarter, and I only am enrolled in Physio Lab, Bio Chem Lab, and Physics Lab in Fall quarter....Thus, my transcript will only show Physio Lab, Bio Chem Lab, and Physics Lab as planned/In-progress? so I will have to delete Winter quarter's chem lab that is listed as Planned to be taken in winter quarter on AACOMAS?

also, if this is the case, it does not hurt if you did not put some pre-req classes on there as planned but you will take them in later quarter/semester nonetheless before matriculating?

Thanks,

Review page 17 of the 2015 AACOMAS instructions.

Planned/In Progress: You may designate a term as "Planned/In Progress" and enter courses which you are presently taking or courses you plan to take before osteopathic medical school matriculation. You must be enrolled in these courses and they must appear on your official transcript or you may be asked to remove them during verification. If you add/drop any of your planned courses you will need to have an updated official transcript sent to AACOMAS. Credit hours expected may be entered under Semester Hours. It is important to list all courses that you are presently taking or plan to take and not just those courses that have been completed.
NOTE: AACOMAS does not review "Planned/In Progress" courses and cannot provide approval or a decision based on incomplete courses. You must seek guidance from your pre-health advisor or the school/s to which you wish to apply.
So, if you aren't registered for the classes yet they will not show up on your official transcript. Double check with your registrar though. If it is just one or two classes I don't think it will matter, and they will probably assume you are taking them after. You can try listing them anyways - they may not say anything - but it might increase your verification time if they do.

Review page 17 of the 2015 AACOMAS instructions.

Planned/In Progress: You may designate a term as "Planned/In Progress" and enter courses which you are presently taking or courses you plan to take before osteopathic medical school matriculation. You must be enrolled in these courses and they must appear on your official transcript or you may be asked to remove them during verification. If you add/drop any of your planned courses you will need to have an updated official transcript sent to AACOMAS. Credit hours expected may be entered under Semester Hours. It is important to list all courses that you are presently taking or plan to take and not just those courses that have been completed.
NOTE: AACOMAS does not review "Planned/In Progress" courses and cannot provide approval or a decision based on incomplete courses. You must seek guidance from your pre-health advisor or the school/s to which you wish to apply.
So, if you aren't registered for the classes yet they will not show up on your official transcript. Double check with your registrar though. If it is just one or two classes I don't think it will matter, and they will probably assume you are taking them after. You can try listing them anyways - they may not say anything - but it might increase your verification time if they do.

thank you for your response, but my university's transcript does not show planned/enrolled classes. Thus, I cannot list any planned/going to take classes on AACOMAS. Thanks so much though. I never knew this. This will save me a lot of time in the verification.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I know that there is a lot of hesitation from folks about taking the MCAT without orgo, but if I take it next year (new 2015 MCAT) with orgo but no biochem/sociology/psychology, will that put me at anymore of an advantage? It seems like a worse position...

Thanks for all of the replies.

I know that there is a lot of hesitation from folks about taking the MCAT without orgo, but if I take it next year (new 2015 MCAT) with orgo but no biochem/sociology/psychology, will that put me at anymore of an advantage? It seems like a worse position...

What about taking the January MCAT? It's the last time the "old" one will be offered, and you'll at least have had the first half of o-chem (arguably more important than the second half, anyway).

At my school, we have ~ 6 week turn-around time from receipt of secondaries to II, so you can still get an interview by early spring. It's late, but you'd still be in the running for an actual seat, not a spot on await list.

I'm not really sure why you would wait until Dec. Submit your apps early, update with MCAT score and if all looks well submit your secondaries in August. Your GPA isn't going to get you rejected pre-secondary, and you can always update your app with more schools after the fall for the ones that require >3.25 GPAs (like KCUMB and RVUCOM).

What about taking the January MCAT? It's the last time the "old" one will be offered, and you'll at least have had the first half of o-chem (arguably more important than the second half, anyway).

I'd argue that the first half is the least important part as it is mostly foundation and the heavy topics like lab tech and carboxylic acids are second quarter.

Honestly, don't rush. Take the 2015.