Waiting list and matching at program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grizzly Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are the chances of matching at a program that you interviewed at off of a waiting list or for that matter a program that offers you an invite well into December when it is well known that you have only been offered an interview because of people canceling? Have any residents or attendings done this? It seems to me like they are saying you're a good applicant, but there are at least 120 people we will likely rank higher than you.

This is kind of like asking a girl to the prom, only for her to tell you that she wants to go with another guy, but if he doesn't ask her, she will go with you. Sure she might be hot, but at the end of the day, it will likely be an expensive date and if she didn't like you enough to begin with, your chances of getting laid are pretty low.

Members don't see this ad.

So what are the chances of matching at a program that you interviewed at off of a waiting list or for that matter a program that offers you an invite well into December when it is well known that you have only been offered an interview because of people canceling? Have any residents or attendings done this? It seems to me like they are saying you're a good applicant, but there are at least 120 people we will likely rank higher than you.

This is kind of like asking a girl to the prom, only for her to tell you that she wants to go with another guy, but if he doesn't ask her, she will go with you. Sure she might be hot, but at the end of the day, it will likely be an expensive date and if she didn't like you enough to begin with, your chances of getting laid are pretty low.

I never got laid at prom. Oddly enough I saw the girl at one of my college buds parties and he told me he hit that. I didn't care. It's like whatever at that point but she was still hot. He was a walking std so I definitely didn't want seconds after him.

Oh about your question. Most of the programs use some standardized scheme that gives students points based on their app and then the interview has a similar thing that hat adds on or takes away points. If you got an interview off of the waitlist you might not have the same stellar stats as their earlier interviewees but no reason you can't makeup points during the interview to push your app up the list. Does that make sense?

so what are the chances of matching at a program that you interviewed at off of a waiting list or for that matter a program that offers you an invite well into december when it is well known that you have only been offered an interview because of people canceling?

17.6% +/- 82.4%

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's your dream program, go for it, otherwise, I would pass. You're their second choice, why spend the money to interview at a program that doesn't think high enough of you to invite you outright? I had 1 program like that last year, offering me a waitlist. I kindly told them to go to hell (in a more PC manner, of course).

I never got laid at prom. Oddly enough I saw the girl at one of my college buds parties and he told me he hit that. I didn't care. It's like whatever at that point but she was still hot. He was a walking std so I definitely didn't want seconds after him.

Oh about your question. Most of the programs use some standardized scheme that gives students points based on their app and then the interview has a similar thing that hat adds on or takes away points. If you got an interview off of the waitlist you might not have the same stellar stats as their earlier interviewees but no reason you can't makeup points during the interview to push your app up the list. Does that make sense?

Cool story Hansel.

Not a huge fan of that standardized score thing, and definitely wonder how much of an impact an interview can really make. I've been told by several people that EM interviewing is laid back and they just wanna make sure you have a pulse and aren't the catatonic schizophrenic type (disorganized and undifferentiated are fine though). Does that mean that we just get an APGAR score based on our interview? If so, I'm going to take some Rifampin and a speedball prior to...i'll be pink as f***, grunting like crazy, tachy at like 210 easy, moving extremities like I got Huntington's. Definitely crush the interview portion.