waitlist and summer travel...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayo302

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much should waiting for waitlist movement affect summer travel, especially in terms of finding housing and financial aid?

i've just been waitlisted at my first-choice school, but i'm trying to decide if i should go ahead and buy a plane ticket to thailand... thing is, for low-season airfare, i'd have to leave mid-may and i'd be returning mid-june... i'm trying to decide if my trip is worth a.) the anxiety of not knowing for sure where i'll be heading in august, b.) missing out on getting 'early' dibs on off-campus housing if i am accepted (the school doesn't have its own housing), and c.)possibly missing any response deadlines... should i scrap my trip plans?

what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

easily solved: have a point person at home to take care of things as needed. and you will need to check messages every other day probably.

definitely have someone in charge of gathering your mail and letting your know if anything arrives. you could also let the schools know you will be out of the country and tell them who your contact person is. (this is my plan of attack since I will be drinking Guiness in Ireland, sunning in the South of France, and sipping Chianti in Italy!)

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm heading to Europe mid-May and returning Mid-June. I'm just going to notify all my schools of my situation and give them permission to talk to a 3rd party instead of me. Also, I'm encouraging them to use email as well, since I know I'll probably have a chance to check it every week or so.

Go have fun!!! It's your last chance of complete freedom!