Waitlist for 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilyofvaley

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody! Starting the Waitlist forum. Say what school you are waitlisted at. I'm waitlisted at CSU. Who else is with me? Has anyone heard how that waitlist moves? In-state vs Out-of-state? The most important when you hear let us know so everyone can celebrate with you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! This is my first time applying to vet school. I only got applied to 3 schools due to financial constraints. I only got an interview at Kansas State and just found out today I'm waitlisted. Hoping for the best as it's my only shot at vet school this year..

First application cycle, applied during my sophomore year.
I'm waited at Midwestern University; IS student, but they're a private institution so it doesn't seem to play a huge role in their decisions. Due to a family member having health problems, they were the only place I applied to this cycle!
I've been told there is no ranking for those on the 'alternate' list, and we can be called off anytime from now until August. Last year they started calling in early May and the years prior it was mid-late April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted at CSU... (OoS) I heard that for every OoS slot CSU has to invite 3 ppl. I don’t know about IS.
I was accepted to my IS school so as soon as I’ve locked my slot in I plan to tell CSU I’m no longer interested as much as I’d love to go that tuition gap makes a difference.
Best of luck!
Have you heard from any other schools?

Hey Everybody! Starting the Waitlist forum. Say what school you are waitlisted at. I'm waitlisted at CSU. Who else is with me? Has anyone heard how that waitlist moves? In-state vs Out-of-state? The most important when you hear let us know so everyone can celebrate with you!

I'm on the alternate list with Kansas State (OOS). From what I understand they send out 2-3 times the number of accepted seats as alternates. This year they have around 57 OOS seats so there should be anywhere from ~115-170 alternates. A lot of accepted OOS students who are accepted at their IS school decline their offer so they usually go through about half the alternates as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Waitlisted at Cornell (IS). Trying very hard not to think about it. Haven't gotten in elsewhere either and I applied to Tufts (on hold for an interview--the last one is tomorrow and I haven't heard a thing), Ohio State (rejected), Guelph (interviewed, then rejected), UPenn (radio silence), and UWisconsin (they sent out notification at the end of the month via snail mail).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also wait listed at Kansas state university. Im a little bummed, but happy at least I didn't get an outright rejection. I wish they'd post the ranking. I just want to understand my chances of getting in.

How are yall dealing with being wait listed? I know ksu goes into their alternate list quite a bit. I'm excited and terrified that I could be called the week of orientation. How do you make plans for oos moves at short notice?

Im waitlisted OOS at Kansas and LSU. Just interviewed at Mississippi and since im on a roll I’ll prob be waitlisted there too Im stressing out because Ive been accepted to Midwestern which is super expensive! Hoping i’ll get pulled off a waitlist somewhere to have a cheaper option.
I feel ya I'm on a roll too! I've had 3 waitlists in a row and no acceptances...

Waitlisted at CSU and LSU. I have an acceptance so I’m not sweating it but I did really like Fort Collins!

It’s kind of exciting not knowing where I’m going to be living this time next year.

Waitlisted IS at UF. does anyone know how quickly the waitlist moves?

Waitlisted IS K-State. Does anyone know the number on how many IS alternates there are? Or if k-state calls alternates as seats open or wait until April first? I HATE THE WAITING GAME!

Waitlisted IS K-State. Does anyone know the number on how many IS alternates there are? Or if k-state calls alternates as seats open or wait until April first? I HATE THE WAITING GAME!

Mary Sue would probably be able to answer all of those questions for you. I'd suggest you call or email her and she'll let you know what she can

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So when I emailed Mary Sue the other day she said that they wait until the day after April 15th to start calling because they want to know how many positions they have to give before calling.

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted Mizzou, Mississippi, and LSU (AR resident contract)... still waiting to hear from 2 more but seem to be on a roll lol

OOS alternate at Penn and Cornell, and waitlisted as an international applicant at OVC.

Still waiting to hear from some schools (including my IS), but I'm really not loving this trend in my admissions decisions lately... :(

OOS Alternate for K-State

Updated 2/15/18 OOS Alternate at Iowa State

Last edited:
Waitlisted OOS at Wisconsin. Pretty far down the list so I'm not terribly hopeful, but waitlist isn't rejection so I have my fingers crossed!

Declined my waitlist spot for western and will be declining my acceptance for Midwestern. Good luck!

Alternate OOS Iowa State

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted IS (MD resident) for VMCVM . Was accepted at UGA so will likely be going there unless the waitlist somehow miraculously works in my favor. Even debating whether or not to reapply next year for my IS next year if it comes to that, but also know a lot of people still get waitlisted again after reapplying.. agh.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

Update:

Waitlisted at UW, but very far down the list. (174)
Still waitlisted at Cornell (IS) and unlikely to know more until April.

ETA: This was my second year applying so I'm really hoping to get off one of these lists so I don't have to apply a 3rd time!

Last edited:
All my drs at work are rooting so hard for me. They keep asking: "Have you heard from MWU yet?"
Each time I'm like... guys! anytime from April until August they can call me. They didn't believe they would call that "late"
MWU extern (yesterday): yeah I was called 2 weeks before classes started.
They're almost like they're the ones going through applying o_O:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Waitlisted for Virginia Tech but got an acceptance email for MSU yesterday! Going to wait to see what number on the wait list I am for Virginia Tech in early April. Still waiting to hear from Iowa :)

EDIT: Just checked and also waitlisted for Iowa. Going to do some background research in the meantime in case either Iowa or VM open up availability!

Last edited:
Is there a record for the most waitlist positions? I currently have 5...

Reactions: 6 users
How far down on the waitlist can you get before it becomes "hopeless" to get in? I am 63/165 at MSU and trying so hard to get in with my undergrad bestie, who is 105/165 on the waitlist! Anyone know how their waitlist works ?!

I applied to: Florida, Ross, Michigan, Purdue, Penn, Virginia, Kansas, Colorado
Interviewed: Ross, Colorado, Michigan, Purdue, Kansas
Accepted: Ross, Purdue
Waitlisted: Kansas, Michigan

How far down on the waitlist can you get before it becomes "hopeless" to get in? I am 63/165 at MSU and trying so hard to get in with my undergrad bestie, who is 105/165 on the waitlist! Anyone know how their waitlist works ?!

I applied to: Florida, Ross, Michigan, Purdue, Penn, Virginia, Kansas, Colorado
Interviewed: Ross, Colorado, Michigan, Purdue, Kansas
Accepted: Ross, Purdue
Waitlisted: Kansas, Michigan
I assume out of state waitlist? Pretty sure that when someone drops a spot they call the first person on the list. If you’re on the OOS waitlist, it probably move at least a little, especially since MSU’s OOS tuition is higher than other schools OOS. Not sure if they start calling people off the waitlist before the deadline to accept or not.

You got it, dude!
giphy.gif

OOS waitlisted at MSU (#21, so here’s hoping!) and Oregon (they don’t release rankings).

Real talk though..I wish every school released rankings..

Reactions: 9 users
I agree. It’s helpful to weigh your options and be realistic about possibilities.

Does anyone have any insight on why schools don’t release numbers? I’d like to know the thought behind it just out of interest.

If it helps, the reason some don't is because they have no idea which holes in the class will need to be filled. Schools want a well rounded class that hits all the different aspects of veterinary medicine and what each individual brings to the table as far as their perceived strengths and weaknesses. I honestly don't know how they are able to hand out ranks at the schools who do unless they just have such a regular spread that they can estimate accurately the spots that will open up.

Reactions: 2 users