Waitlist success stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldreams2021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello current dental students,

I was really looking forward to Dec 1 and there was a lot of buildup because I thought I had done fairly well at my interviews. With a lot of my interviewers, I thought I was able to create a strong connection/rapport. It was quite disappointing to hear I was waitlisted at all of my dreams schools on Dec 1. Can any previously waitlisted candidates share their success stories? And if you're comfortable enough, if you could let me know which school(s)? I scoured through past acceptance threads but I'm not finding many posts/info. It seems to me that being on the waitlist is a lost cause.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to what I could now do to improve my chances, or could you share what you did? I don't like the feeling of feeling so helpless :( and if I try in whatever way, at least I'll know I gave it my all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I got in shortly after december 1st, but I was also waitlisted at other schools. I think the best thing to do with waitlists is to just continuously show interest and keep updating them using emails. Maybe update them after you finish this semester and tell them you are still interested in a spot. I can't say that this earned me a spot at the school I am currently at, but I was initially wait listed and I did send multiple messages regarding my status with work and school and my interest in their school and it definitely didn't hurt me. Good luck.

One of my good friends got waitlisted and got accepted months after at UB. Just show interest like Hookahlungs said. Also in a few weeks, give them an update on what else you've been doing outside of school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I got in shortly after december 1st, but I was also waitlisted at other schools. I think the best thing to do with waitlists is to just continuously show interest and keep updating them using emails. Maybe update them after you finish this semester and tell them you are still interested in a spot. I can't say that this earned me a spot at the school I am currently at, but I was initially wait listed and I did send multiple messages regarding my status with work and school and my interest in their school and it definitely didn't hurt me. Good luck.

How often did you email? I want to keep emailing on a regular basis to express interest but I'm not sure how often to do so...and I don't know what I would keep saying without making myself sound repetitive. I'm genuinely confused as to what I could say, other than ask about my status (but not in an annoying way)?

Also did you send letters of interest/intent?

One of my good friends got waitlisted and got accepted months after at UB. Just show interest like Hookahlungs said. Also in a few weeks, give them an update on what else you've been doing outside of school.

Thank you for your response and congrats to your friend! :) Any advice with how to show interest without seeming repetitive? Like, it wouldn't be ideal for me to email every week and say "I'm still very interested in your school and am hoping to hear back soon" you know?

I agree with other people: you should email them to show your interest and keep them updated. I really hope that you will eventually get in somewhere! How many schools did you interview at if you don't mind me asking?

NYU feeds on phone begging of wait listers. It keeps them alive.

Reactions: 3 users

They literally have six front office people answering calls for this.

It gives them a false image of being competitive to get into. But they can't fool me.

They literally have six front office people answering calls for this.

It gives them a false image of being competitive to get into. But they can't fool me.
They got me. I will be begging in one way or another.

Do you ever have anything positive to say? Quit being a troll every chance you get.
MAYBE you could contribute to a thread where people are looking for some encouragement during an understandably very stressful time.

There lots of success stories, Dec 1st was only a few days ago. Many people are holding multiple offers. So don't worry, there is still plenty of time :D

Reactions: 4 users
Do you ever have anything positive to say? Quit being a troll every chance you get.
MAYBE you could contribute to a thread where people are looking for some encouragement during an understandably very stressful time.

There lots of success stories, Dec 1st was only a few days ago. Many people are holding multiple offers. So don't worry, there is still plenty of time :D

LOL do you find any irony in telling a troll to stop trolling? All jokes aside, I do my fair share of encouraging predents and I also like to throw in some humor in this stressful application process too. If what I say offends you (which it looks like it does LOL) I don't apologize.

My friend received no acceptances until very late in the cycle, 2 years back, when he was taken from the wait list at NYU. He sent a letter of intent that I think was helpful. A little advice for anyone who falls in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL do you find any irony in telling a troll to stop trolling? All jokes aside, I do my fair share of encouraging predents and I also like to throw in some humor in this stressful application process too. If what I say offends you (which it looks like it does LOL) I don't apologize.
That is not irony. Asking someone to stop doing something inappropriate that they do very often does not make anything ironic at all. It would be irony had I been the one trolling SDN and telling you to stop, but I doubt that has been the case.
Irony is a 350lb dude judging someone by their weight.
Irony is a thief telling people they shouldn't steal.
Irony is a really scary bouncer at the bar who goes by the name "Tiny."
Irony is a troll who's idea of "humor" is to try to make jokes at the expense of others in an inappropriate manner, which no one laughs at.

I'm not offended, I don't need your apology. I appreciate the concern.

That is not irony. Asking someone to stop doing something inappropriate that they do very often does not make anything ironic at all. It would be irony had I been the one trolling SDN and telling you to stop, but I doubt that has been the case.
Irony is a 350lb dude judging someone by their weight.
Irony is a thief telling people they shouldn't steal.
Irony is a really scary bouncer at the bar who goes by the name "Tiny."
Irony is a troll who's idea of "humor" is to try to make jokes at the expense of others in an inappropriate manner, which no one laughs at.

I'm not offended, I don't need your apology. I appreciate the concern.
So i never offered the apology lol
Why are you so sensitive? Didn't know Navy accepted delicate little flowers LOOOOOOL

A savage keyboard warrior LOOOL

So i never offered the apology lol
Why are you so sensitive? Didn't know Navy accepted delicate little flowers LOOOOOOL
Wow, so now you want to bring the Navy into this. Do you even know what today is? Notice that little American flag on Google?

I'm not sensitive, you just demonstrate the communication skills of a 12 year old. So enjoy your career as in dentistry, I'm sure your patients will be grateful for your respectful attitude.

Wow, so now you want to bring the Navy into this. Do you even know what today is? Notice that little American flag on Google?

I'm not sensitive, you just demonstrate the communication skills of a 12 year old. So enjoy your career as in dentistry, I'm sure your patients will be grateful for your respectful attitude.

upload_2016-12-7_17-22-12.png

I was put on the waitlist on Dec 2nd for a school that was high on my list so I was ready to move on. Surprisingly, I got an acceptance email on Dec 8, just 6 days after I thought I have no chance at this school. My point is to not lose hope yet if you're on the waitlist. Chances are that you'll be taken off the list anytime from now until August. Best of luck to all of you who are currently in this waitlist limbo, I really hope we'll all get in eventually! :)

Reactions: 4 users
I was put on the waitlist on Dec 2nd for a school that was high on my list so I was ready to move on. Surprisingly, I got an acceptance email on Dec 8, just 6 days after I thought I have no chance at this school. My point is to not lose hope yet if you're on the waitlist. Chances are that you'll be taken off the list anytime from now until August. Best of luck to all of you who are currently in this waitlist limbo, I really hope we'll all get in eventually! :)

Congratulations on your acceptance! :) it heartens me to see that people are getting off their waitlists. If you don't mind me asking, which school?

Congratulations on your acceptance! :) it heartens me to see that people are getting off their waitlists. If you don't mind me asking, which school?
Thank you for your support. Yay SDN community! :D
It's Buffalo and now I am seriously considering going there.

You're welcome :) thank you as well for sharing your story and giving us all hope :D

Buffalo is a great school! Congrats again and keep us posted!

YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DENTIST!!! That is AMAZING, huge congrats, and good vibes from me to you