Waitlist Thread MD 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's weird, on the one hand I would be very happy to get in this cycle, but on the other hand I'm also really excited to improve my application and reapply in a couple years with new experiences, all the publications that I didn't have when I first applied, better MCAT (although it definitely wasn't holding me back this cycle), etc. and interview at even better schools.
I feel the same way. I obviously would prefer to get in, but I'm trying to get excited about how much better my second cycle will be since I've learned so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a LM of 79 and had a lot of success with research. First author paper, national fellowships, national conferences etc. Only possible conclusion: I must have an awful personality lol.
Did you apply to schools that are heavy on research? I also had a pretty good research background but most of the schools I applied to were much more focused on community service, so I don't know how much it helped.

I feel the same way. I obviously would prefer to get in, but I'm trying to get excited about how much better my second cycle will be since I've learned so much.
It's a good mindset to have. What are you going to do if you reapply?

Members don't see this ad :)
7 interviews 6 waitlists
3rd cycle of waitlists

Reactions: 1 user
2 interviews, 1 waitlist... all it takes is one, right? Here's hoping everyone here will get their shot!

Reactions: 5 users
After not getting into medical school while being on three wait-lists, I reapplied the next year more confident with a stronger resume. Eight interviews later I found myself sitting on six wait-lists with no acceptances. I was angry and frustrated. As the months rolled on, I lost almost all hope. Medical schools were going to start in a few months and here I was, acceptance-less. Thankfully, and with good graces I managed to be offered a spot in late May. I happily accepted it and found myself in medical school only a couple short months later.

Once I started I found that I was not the only one who struggled. While some of my peers managed to get multiple acceptances, most didn't. In fact my class was filled with students who had to reapply multiple times, or who barely made it in. Interestingly enough, those students who did struggle ended up being amazing students, the best in the class really.

Fast forward 4 years and I found myself comfortably matched into an orthopedic residency. I often reflect on my struggle and can say with confidence that the hardest part of medical school is getting in. But if I had gotten in on my first attempt I wouldn't have had a year off to really enjoy myself. In the end things worked out for the best. My advice is to just keep your head up and keep trying. It will work out one way or another.

Found this post in an old waitlist thread
This gives me hope *.*

Reactions: 9 users
My primary focus is a better school list. Of the 13 schools I applied to, only 3 were competitive matches for me. I received interviews at 2 of them, which leads me to believe my school list was the main issue. Also I've had the entire year to amp up my volunteering/community service which was lacking while I was a full time student.

Similar situation for me. Actually pretty motivated to start restudying for the MCAT and preparing for a reapplication overall. I know the MCAT was a major deficit in my application (504 with 122 verbal) but I still pulled 2 MD interviews and am on one waitlist, though I won't get off (they said they've never taken people from my 'tier'). I also lacked volunteering because I had to work to put myself through college, but I've already got 2 positions lined up to start next month. Contrast my mindset now with 3 months ago where I was waiting to go to both of my interviews, I feel like a much happier person. It sounds weird, but it's nice to have some direction and certainty in life. A medical school acceptance wasn't going to fix things about my life that needed fixing, also. I wasn't working out just over a month ago, now I'm working out 4-5 times a week. My relationship is better than ever. I feel more disciplined and have started doing small chunks of MCAT preparation. Honestly, this application cycle put me through some sort of depression that I was not prepared for.

Now that I'm on the other side and realize how many people end up having to retake the MCAT and reapply, it's not all that bad. One of my primary motivators is a physician I scribe for, who got rejected his first time around (to my #1 school, as did I this time) with the same (converted) MCAT score I have. He retook, got 5-6 points higher, and was able to get in the next time. For him, he said not getting in was the right kind of wake-up call he needed in his life to get his discipline ready for medical school. I attribute my MCAT score to not enough verbal practice - a red flag that is glaringly obvious on my application. I can and will fix this deficit through hard work and practice. On the other hand, Clearly there's other things about my application that are good, as I still got two interviews. If I shore up my application I have no doubt I'll be successful in the future.

Is there no point in writing letter of interests to schools that use ranked waitlists?
My mindset is that it can't hurt. And why not do it if it can't hurt, and at best it could actually possibly influence them a little positively?

My mindset is that it can't hurt. And why not do it if it can't hurt, and at best it could actually possibly influence them a little positively?
I've heard the opposite. I've heard that LOI's can make you seem impatient and entitled. The school knows you are interested in attending. That's why you applied.

I've heard the opposite. I've heard that LOI's can make you seem impatient and entitled. The school knows you are interested in attending. That's why you applied.
Hm. Ok. I can see how that might be. Maybe then word it so that you just express your enthusiasm for the school and thank them for taking your application under consideration (not mentioning anything about the wait or deliberation process)? I feel like a lot of it can be changed in how you word your LOI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm. Ok. I can see how that might be. Maybe then word it so that you just express your enthusiasm for the school and thank them for taking your application under consideration (not mentioning anything about the wait or deliberation process)? I feel like a lot of it can be changed in how you word your LOI.
I wrote a letter of intent to my first choice medical school where I basically said I will definitely attend if accepted, showed why I liked the school, how I would be a good fit for their mission, and also included some updates that weren't included in AMCAS. At the end, I thanked them for taking the time to interview me and for considering my application for the incoming class. IMO, I don't think a LOI can make or break your app significantly, but it may show adcoms that, despite being WL'd, your interest in the school is very strong. Just my 0.02.

Found this post on a old thread
This gives me hope! :0

Oh, I see what you're doing. Posting the same quote in multiple threads to increase that Like/Post ratio. I see that.

I'm on to you VIZ1, I'm on to your game and I can hum that same tune. Let's dance.

Oh, I see what you're doing. Posting the same quote in multiple threads to increase that Like/Post ratio. I see that.

I'm on to you VIZ1, I'm on to your game and I can hum that same tune. Let's dance.
I just posted it on two threads lol
And one of them was started by me
I just thought I should share a message that a lot of waitlistees including myself would like to see

I just posted it on two threads lol
And one of them was started by me
I just thought I should share a message that a lot of waitlistees including myself would like to see

Dude/dudett I'm only joking geez. No need to get so real brah. We're just having fun here while waiting to die.

I think it really just depends on the school

And I'm off! Alternate listed at U Miami last Monday. Accepted Friday. Not sure how that works lol Anyways super excited. Go Canes!

Reactions: 22 users
Any traffic day info for DO schools?

Keeping in mind that I don't actually know anything... At least some DO schools require larger and larger deposits as time goes on, so they see people drop when those come due. DO schools are also affected by traffic day results as students get off MD waitlists and make choices. I think there might be a date later on when DO schools that have accepted a student can see any other DO schools at which the student holds acceptances, and can then choose whether to rescind their acceptance or hope that they turn down their spots at other schools? Maybe? Something happens at some point. I dunno. Magic maybe.

None of this is exactly equivalent to traffic day, but you can always hope for MD traffic day aftershocks jostling loose some seats or watch for when deposits are due from accepted students if you want a specific date to be nervous about!

But again, I don't really know anything. 1 MD WL and 1 DO WL = in a few more weeks I'll either be an accepted student or researching gods to offer sacrifices to in exchange for a seat at a med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist at WVU today! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 17 users
Finally pulled off the WL at Buffalo for my first acceptance today! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 24 users
Home stretch guys! Here's to some good news these upcoming weeks! Stay strong :)

Reactions: 12 users
4 interviews and 4 waitlists. Just trying to stay busy and not think about it too much ( haha, as if).

just got accepted today at Cornell. good luck everyone!

Reactions: 13 users
5 interviews, 5 waitlists :') I just need one, please......

Anyone know how applicants on an unranked waitlist are evaluated?

Only waitlist I'm on (on acceptances yet) and I'm praying it goes well...

Anyone know how applicants on an unranked waitlist are evaluated?

Only waitlist I'm on (on acceptances yet) and I'm praying it goes well...
I'm only on one unranked waitlist too and curious about the process as well.

All I know is that an unranked waitlist means we have to wait longer to hear back about waitlist decisions and for waitlist movement to start. :(

All I know is that an unranked waitlist means we have to wait longer to hear back about waitlist decisions and for waitlist movement to start. :(

I hear ya. I hope the wait isn't too long. I'm getting kinda antsy even though we're only two days into may. :unsure:

I read somewhere they try to replace people who withdraw with similar applicants from unranked WL's. I wonder if additional updates/LOR's have any weight or if you're just stuck with the app you came in with and that's what they use to 'reevaluate'...

A ranked waitlist is enumerated and drawn from without regard to changes in either the composition of the accepted students or viability of the waitlisted candidates. There is no difference in the timing of waitlist movement. LOI's have no effect on a strictly ranked waitlist.

I hear ya. I hope the wait isn't too long. I'm getting kinda antsy even though we're only two days into may. :unsure:

I read somewhere they try to replace people who withdraw with similar applicants from unranked WL's. I wonder if additional updates/LOR's have any weight or if you're just stuck with the app you came in with and that's what they use to 'reevaluate'...
Unranked waitlists may take into consideration the composition of the accepted class as well as the odds of acceptance of the waitlisted candidate. It is not a one to one replacement strategy.

Schools with an unranked waitlist may or may not incorporate additional information from the applicant. Commonly, a student holding an acceptance at a cheaper school who indicates a preference for the school where they are waitlisted may negate the perceived delay in decision-making that would usually accompany an offer off the waitlist.

@gyngyn will you still be updating us on WL movements this year? Would appreciate it!

should we be worried if we haven't seen much WL movement yet? one of my state schools (UofL) just accepted a ton of people off the waitlist yesterday but my other state school (UK, which I am on the WL for) hasn't seen as much movement.

should we be worried if we haven't seen much WL movement yet? one of my state schools (UofL) just accepted a ton of people off the waitlist yesterday but my other state school (UK, which I am on the WL for) hasn't seen as much movement.

It's so early in the process. Lots of schools have to deplete their over accepted students before going into the waitlist. All the stuff I read last year says that waitlist movement goes through the month of May. It's better if the waitlist is already moving but I think it's too soon to be worried.

Best advice I saw for waitlisted applicants (I think from @Goro) is to pretend you're rejected and start working on plan B. That way any acceptance will be a nice surprise.

Schools have different waitlist styles. Our tolerance for risk and goals of the institution will determine this to a large degree.
Sometimes the applicant pool responds differently than expected.
We can estimate the number needed to fill and still get unexpected results.

Reactions: 3 users
It's so early in the process. Lots of schools have to deplete their over accepted students before going into the waitlist. All the stuff I read last year says that waitlist movement goes through the month of May. It's better if the waitlist is already moving but I think it's too soon to be worried.

Best advice I saw for waitlisted applicants (I think from @Goro) is to pretend you're rejected and start working on plan B. That way any acceptance will be a nice surprise.

I'm definitely planning for the worst! I'm just mainly concerned because I know UK has already accepted people off the waitlist, meaning they are no longer oversubscribed....the fact that I haven't seen any movement after traffic day is what is worrying me.

Out of curiosity, statistically how likely would it be for someone to get off of the WL with someone holding 3 WL? 4 WL? 5 WL? Are there big differences?

Just landed two interviews for gap year jobs. Hoping I won't need either of them!

Reactions: 5 users
How long should I wait before I should mentally move on from a school that Im on their unranked WL? Mid- May? I gotta start finding a place to live pretty soon :grumpy:

Glad I found this.
3 interviews, 3 waitlists...
Hoping for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
How long should I wait before I should mentally move on from a school that Im on their unranked WL? Mid- May? I gotta start finding a place to live pretty soon :grumpy:

Planning on completely giving up the last week of may and getting ready to move on

I'm giving myself a hard deadline of June 1st for WL movement, otherwise I'm going to commit to my accepted school. Ideally, I'd want 1-2 months to look for apartments, get supplies, furniture, etc.

Reactions: 1 users