Waitlisted at 7 schools 0 acceptances; 525 MCAT; Adcom advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAUGAUAG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I would really appreciate advice especially from adcoms on what I should do...

I won't give entire details in order to preserve anonymity, but:

I have just under a 3.8 GPA/scGPA, went to a top undergrad, got a 525 on MCAT. ORM
My extracurriculars were decent, I was a leader of a health club and we did some health services for underserved people in the community. I also did teaching, had some shadowing and clinical volunteering. Had hundreds of hours of volunteering too which I was passionate about. Hundreds of hours of research, recently had co-authorship on a publication in a top biomedical journal.

I applied to about 30 schools, some of which were safety schools. All the safeties except my state school didn't interview me, I got 8 interviews from top 20 schools. 3 of the interviews were very early in the season at top 10 schools.

I think in the interviews I did OK, I got better as time went on... problem is I was somewhat shy and lacking in social skills at first, although I am actively working on this and got a lot better recently...

Now I'm on 7 waitlists; 0 acceptances.

First, what can I do to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist? Also, what is the chance of me getting off the waitlist? Are these waitlists just polite rejections? I need to know if I need to prepare to reapply and find another gap year job lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1) You're on the waitlist, all you can do is wait.

2) You should ALWAYS have a plan to prepare to reapply in this situation. I think the odds are that you'll get in off of one of the lists, but you should plan an EC to boost your app and prepare for reapplication in case you have to.

3) Make plans to improve your interviewing.

4) Sorry about the tough luck. There are plenty of people with acceptances who didn't put in the work to get a 525/3.8 so I feel for you. Keep your head up, make smart contingency plans, and it will work out.

Reactions: 10 users
I am not an adcom obviously but if you have 7 waitlists, you will likely get into one, especially as deadlines approach and people finalize their plans and decisions. I highly doubt any school cares about "polite" when telling you "no".

But I agree with Kr#36 - always have a backup plan. Start looking at things you can do between now and next time that can improve your chances.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. May I ask what state you are in?

2. I was shy as a kid until I worked a job that forced me to deal with all sorts of people in all sorts of situations. That may be a beneficial thing to seek out!

I know that I’m not who you were asking advice from (just a lowly premed), but my stats are nowhere near yours and I got a lot more love than I was expecting, so I feel like my deficiencies and yours are likely opposite!

Regardless, congrats on the 525 MCAT, that’s nuts!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I would really appreciate advice especially from adcoms on what I should do...

I have just under a 3.8 GPA/scGPA, went to a top undergrad, got a 525 on MCAT. ORM
My extracurriculars were decent, I was a founding leader of a health screening club and we did some health screenings for underserved people in the community. I also did teaching, had some shadowing and clinical volunteering. Had hundreds of hours of volunteering too which I was passionate about. Hundreds of hours of research, recently had co-authorship on a publication in a top biomedical journal.

I applied to about 30 schools, some of which were safety schools. All the safeties except my state school didn't interview me, I got 8 interviews from top 20 schools. 3 of the interviews were very early in the season at top 10 schools.

I think in the interviews I did OK, I got better as time went on... problem is I was somewhat shy and lacking in social skills at first, although I am actively working on this and got a lot better recently...

First, what can I do to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist? Also, what is the chance of me getting off the waitlist? Are these waitlists just polite rejections? I need to know if I need to prepare to reapply and find another gap year job lol.
Wow, you were a very decent applicant from what it looks like... I wonder what got you, but it looks like your social skills were not to their liking at the interview? Who knows...

Poor interview and interpersonal skills along with a top heavy school list is the way to get 7 waitlists.

You can’t do anything to come off them, you just have to wait and get ready to reapply if needed. Practice interviewing and get real feedback, because it seems like something is wrong that you need to address.

Reactions: 13 users

My extracurriculars were decent, I was a founding leader of a health screening club and we did some health screenings for underserved people in the community. I also did teaching, had some shadowing and clinical volunteering. Had hundreds of hours of volunteering too which I was passionate about. Hundreds of hours of research, recently had co-authorship on a publication in a top biomedical journal.

There is nothing you can do to get off the wait list except wait (or send a seven figure donation check).

You should be working on Plan B until you have that accept email in your Inbox.

You clearly are a rock star, so I recommend working on interview skills.

Reactions: 1 users
If you were able to get 7 interviews at top 20s, then there’s nothing wrong with your app. I would bet that it was your interview skills that prevented an an acceptance. If you do end up reapplying, do more mock interviews/maybe even invest in an interview prep service! There’s also no such thing as a “Saftey” medical school.

Work on interview skills and maybe do some EC's to boost your profile.

If you dont get accepted this year --- think about DO schools because you are guaranteed acceptance with your stats.

If you dont get accepted this year --- think about DO schools because you are guaranteed acceptance with your stats.
But I feel that his EC's are phenomenal. I can't get past how confounding it is that he hasn't gotten in anywhere with his stats.

But I feel that his EC's are phenomenal. I can't get past how confounding it is that he hasn't gotten in anywhere with his stats.
He says he applied to a bunch of top 20s. Everyone in those schools has a 3.8+ and 515+. It really comes down to interview skills there, so if he didn't interview well it would result in a bunch of waitlists and no acceptances.

That or a red flag he hasn't told us about.

Did you apply to a decent amount of upper-mid tiers? I feel like you wouldve gotten interviews from Einstein/Rochester/Dartmouth/Keck class schools if you applied to enough of them. I had similar stats but with zero research and almost all of my interviews and acceptances came from this range of schools so I feel like they don’t yield protect based on stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
If he had a red flag in his app would he have gotten that many top 20 interviews though?

Unless you’re referring to a red flag personality-wise
How? How can someone be seriously lacking in personality if they have written a decent personal statement and secondaries, have volunteered for hundreds of hours in hospital setting and have had to go out to get recommendations et cetera? Sorry if it seems trolly, but it really irks me that students who have gone through all this effort fail at simple face-to-face communication after they have the foot in the door.

How? How can someone be seriously lacking in personality if they have written a decent personal statement and secondaries, have volunteered for hundreds of hours in hospital setting and have had to go out to get recommendations et cetera? Sorry if it seems trolly, but it really irks me that students who have gone through all this effort fail at simple face-to-face communication after they have the foot in the door.

I understand where you're coming from. But there are many reasons I could see this happening. Being braggadocios, coming off like you are entitled, creepy, weird, etc. not saying OP did any of those things, but I could see why someone that jumped through all the hoops still didn't get in. Someone as Goro would say "I don't want touching patients".

It could also be the competetive nature of the Top 20s. If you look at the AAMC chart I think 5-10% of people in his GPA/MCAT rang don't get in.

It's a mad game.

It’s definitely possible, but I’m not saying that’s definitely the case. Could also just be bad luck since there are so many qualified applicants. All I’m saying is that there’s like a 99% chance he didn’t have any red flags in his application on paper or he wouldn’t have gotten so many interviews at top schools

Someone with a 525 has no business applying DO.

Reactions: 16 users

I don’t get why this would irk you, being able to communicate face to face is a massive part of being a doctor. If someone demonstrates they clearly cannot do that - schools understandablely won’t accept them

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Someone with a 525 has no business applying DO.

I agree.

I don’t think metrics are the issue here, and any non-metric issues will carry over to DO schools. Probably moreso if the problem is entitlement, since they’ll be able to spot he doesn’t want to go to a DO school and is really gunning for MD.

It sucks but it is reality. Sometimes, it is the nerves that make you a mumbling fool. I got rejected post interview and was told that during my interview, I went off on tangents and occasionally failed to answer the initial question. Im very personable, but stuff like that makes it easier to weed people out.

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t get why this would irk you, being able to communicate face to face is a massive part of being a doctor. If someone demonstrates they clearly cannot do that - schools understandablely won’t accept them
No, I know that; what irks me is after everything a premed puts himself through that he not be prepared to socialize in an interview...

No doubt the problem here was interviews. Pure speculation, but the OP's admitted shyness (perhaps as manifested by limited conversation and limited eye contact) may well have come across as indifference or, even worse, as arrogance. Sure hope it works out, because it is easy to fix shy, but you can't fix stupid.

1. May I ask what state you are in?

2. I was shy as a kid until I worked a job that forced me to deal with all sorts of people in all sorts of situations. That may be a beneficial thing to seek out!

I know that I’m not who you were asking advice from (just a lowly premed), but my stats are nowhere near yours and I got a lot more love than I was expecting, so I feel like my deficiencies and yours are likely opposite!

Regardless, congrats on the 525 MCAT, that’s nuts!

This is great advice! I'd suggest you assume that the interview was your weak spot and seek out employment and volunteer work that will stretch you in the ways you need improvement. As a physician you will need to be an empathetic listener, to show that you are listening and understand without judging, to explain complicated and/or sensitive concepts clearly to others at levels from 6th grade on up. You will need to advocate, to summarize, to verbally analyze. You will be giving orders as well as following them. Look at Dale Carnegie, Toastmasters, Karaoke, telephone fundraising to get over whatever communication obstacles you suspect are in your path. Consider doing sales (a product or service you really believe in) or customer service work.

Of course, plan on another application cycle. I'd give the top 20 another shot, then use upper mid-tiers as your safeties. In your secondaries, I'd address the presumed elephant in the room -- how your shyness hindered your first cycle and how you've tackled the problem head-on and made great progress.

Of course, if the problem is entitlement, then the cure is humility...

Here are some things that get people rejected immediately:

· Being unprofessional for any reason. An example is addressing a faculty member by their first name. Another is chewing gum during the interview. If you have a dry mouth, suck on a lozenge instead. BTW, the interview lasts all day. Acting unprofessionally during your tour, like yelling at a parking attendant, or trashing the school, or expecting the Admissions Office staff to hang up your coat or fetch you coffee is duly noted and affects your fate accordingly.

· Not taking the interview seriously, like showing up poorly dressed. This is suit and tie time (and nice dress/outfit/suit for the ladies). You're going into character. Yes, if the airline loses your luggage, we understand that.

· Do NOT be arrogant. People who think that they're God's gift to Medicine do not go into Medicine.

· Being too shy or nervous. Being quiet is OK; being monosyllabic or robotic is not.

· Not making eye contact is also a no-no (yes I'm aware that in some cultures, one does not look elders in the eye, but this is the USA and you need to look people in the eye here).

· Any hints of immaturity will be lethal for your chances. We expect you to be thoughtful and self-aware. Would you admit the gal who, when asked a hypothetical, "What would you do in this situation?" answers, "Oh, that wouldn't happen."

· Showing you're greedy.

· Showing any hint of entitlement. This includes the “I was accepted to XSOM, so what are you going to do for me?” The answer will be “Good luck and have fun at XSOM.

· Being clueless as to why you're choosing Medicine as a career.

· Doing this because your mom/dad wants you to be a doctor (or don't think you can be doctor).

· Completely lacking people skills (4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen, really).

· Showing that you're more interested in research than Medicine. This might be OK at Stanford, but it won’t fly at most other schools.

· Still being the hyper-gunner...I rejected a 4.0 gal who wanted to answer the questions I asked of another person in the interview panel. I don't want to admit someone who will be in my office whining about how they got a 95 on an exam and deserved a 96.

· Having a flat affect. This might be due to medication, or a mental or personality disorder. You ever meet someone who could never crack a smile? I don't want someone like that touching patients.

· Copping an attitude. I asked a woman why she didn't have any volunteer experience. She replied that she was too busy working. Fair enough, some people have lives, but she copped an attitude while delivering this, and I just wrote down "reject".

· Coming in with scripted answers and being unable to deviate from said script.

· Being ill-prepared for fairly common interview questions (e.g. Why this school? Why Medicine?)

· Thinking that always circling back to your accomplishments and how great you are impresses us.

· Making excuses for misdeeds. We had rejected someone once who had some fairly benign misdemeanors, but blamed it on the policemen who gave him the tickets.

· Don’t do show and tell. I don’t want you pulling out a binder with your resume or portfolio. Let your application speak for you.

· Being a babbling idiot. These are those people who can't answer a question concisely. I've sure you've met people like this...why bother using one word when ten will do? I suspect that they’re thinking for an answer while they're speaking, so the mouth is going while the brain tries to come up with something.

· It’s OK to gather your thoughts, but it’s not OK to blank out. This group includes the people who do something like this (and I am NOT making this up!):
goro: So tell me about this trip to Honduras
Interviewee: Well, we went there for a mission trip and...what was the question?
goro: (thinking: reject!)

Or the guy who, when asked "How does your hobby relate to the practice of Medicine?", and can't even say "It doesn't", and definitely can't even BS an answer, but sits there in a coma?

Reactions: 18 users
Do NOT confuse being smart or a good student with any humanistic domain.
I was referring to the clinical and non-clinical extracurricular involvement, some of which hopefully involved patient conversations or interactions. But yes, of course this is true.

I’m a big fan of getting jobs that actually make us *talk* to real live people in a somewhat informal role. The most valuable job I ever had was as a bike salesperson for high end bikes. We’re talking $10,000 mountain bikes. Being able to walk up to someone, talk shop and be ‘likeable’ To a total stranger is an invaluable skill.

Take some time to develop that skill... with stats like that chances are you’ve got some more ‘stuff’ to round out as a person. Think you might really benefit from that advice posted above and pursue exposures that will develop interpersonal skills

Reactions: 6 users
I was referring to the clinical and non-clinical extracurricular involvement, some of which hopefully involved patient conversations or interactions. But yes, of course this is true.
Being able to interact with patients is very different from being able to explain things, or think on your feet.

Being able to interact with patients is very different from being able to explain things, or think on your feet.
In terms of being able to explain things and thinking on your feet, how can one improve on these skills if they are naturally an awkward person with these things? Is it a natural character defect, or a lack of practice?

In terms of being able to explain things and thinking on your feet, how can one improve on these skills if they are naturally an awkward person with these things? Is it a natural character defect, or a lack of practice?

Practice. Some people are naturally good at it, but it is something anyone can get proficient at with practice. Start a study group where you take turns leading the group on a topic. Take a public speaking class. Go do an open mic for stand-up comedy or a poetry reading or something. Karaoke was mentioned and is a good, fun one, though singing in public and speaking in public are much different--I hate speaking in public with a passion, but I performed music professionally for years.

You really just have to desensitize yourself to the self-consciousness you feel when doing it.

Practice. Some people are naturally good at it, but it is something anyone can get proficient at with practice. Start a study group where you take turns leading the group on a topic. Take a public speaking class. Go do an open mic for stand-up comedy or a poetry reading or something. Karaoke was mentioned and is a good, fun one, though singing in public and speaking in public are much different--I hate speaking in public with a passion, but I performed music professionally for years.

You really just have to desensitize yourself to the self-consciousness you feel when doing it.
To add to this, one can take a public speaking or acting class, or join the debate team.

Working in a service job is outstanding training.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

I am actively working on being more social, have joined a lot of social groups, teaching some classes, etc. I think just like any other skill this skill can be learned, I just didn't take it seriously enough before haha.

To be honest, I think I am actually good at explaining difficult concepts clearly and thinking on my feet. I was captain of my high school debate team and won some varsity championships. I just didn't practice enough for the interviews so I was nervous (but who isn't?) Also, sometimes people get unlucky...

In terms of applying top-heavy, I applied to quite a few safeties, but like I said, all the safeties rejected me. I think they assumed I didn't want to go, even though I was interested. The mid-tier schools also all didn't send me IIs or one rejected me post-II lol. My situation isn't that unique since several of my friends last year got into the same boat with waitlisted at all schools with strong apps, eventually got in.

Some people messaged me about how to get a high MCAT, I can make a separate post (or post on this thread) about how to do it / studying and learning advice in general...

I'd really appreciate any adcoms weighing in on what I should do to get off the waitlist(s) since that is my main focus.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

I am actively working on being more social, have joined a lot of social groups, teaching some classes, etc. I think just like any other skill this skill can be learned, I just didn't take it seriously enough before haha.

To be honest, I think I am actually good at explaining difficult concepts clearly and thinking on my feet. I was captain of my high school debate team and won some varsity championships. I just didn't practice enough for the interviews so I was nervous (but who isn't?) Also, sometimes people get unlucky...

In terms of applying top-heavy, I applied to quite a few safeties, but like I said, all the safeties rejected me. I think they assumed I didn't want to go, even though I was interested. The mid-tier schools also all didn't send me IIs or one rejected me post-II lol. My situation isn't that unique since several of my friends last year got into the same boat with waitlisted at all schools with strong apps, eventually got in.

Some people messaged me about how to get a high MCAT, I can make a separate post (or post on this thread) about how to do it / studying and learning advice in general...

I'd really appreciate any adcoms weighing in on what I should do to get off the waitlist(s) since that is my main focus.
To reiterate, there is little that will get you off a wait list except patience, unless you interviewed at one of those needy schools that likes seeing candidates grovel. Those are the only ones where a love letter may work.

Last edited:
Honestly, OP, I’m seeing quite a few posts similar to yours in the waitlist support group. There are a few high stats applicants who are waitlisted at multiple top schools, no acceptances. What I learned from my only interview at a top school was that the students interviewing at them often have interviews at many. and those who garner a few acceptances will have acceptances at multiple schools. So there is a lot of overlap leading up to traffic day. I think your position is a combination of great stats to get in, good enough interview skills to keep you from getting rejected, but missing something to get you over that edge. There’s a good chance that with that many waitlist positions you’ll get in to at least one school. But you will have to reapply. One thing you might want to try is working really hard on your secondaries to the “safety schools” to show them how interested you really are. THe problem, though, is that someone who got a 525 seems like a gunner and those other schools will think you would not accept a place at their school. You’d have to work a little harder to get them to think you want to go there.

Wishing you good luck! Your cycle is probably the result of a combination of a few things - not one specific issue. And it’s not a reflection on you as a person or how you will be as a physician. I’m also Hoping that you can get on here next year and encourage someone in your position.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks! I'll prepare to reapply. Also, just for clarification, I did not retake a 519- I got 519 on a practice test and got a 525 on the real thing (much to my surprise lol)

Thanks! I'll prepare to reapply. Also, just for clarification, I did not retake a 519- I got 519 on a practice test and got a 525 on the real thing (much to my surprise lol)

Awesome - fixed my post accordingly

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Your safety schools may have seen your score and said “this person will probably not accept our offer of admission.” Who knows. But take some time to go out there and interact with others. Getting a 525 on the mcat probably took years of not speaking to anyone whatsoever, lol.

Your safety schools may have seen your score and said “this person will probably not accept our offer of admission.” Who knows. But take some time to go out there and interact with others. Getting a 525 on the mcat probably took years of not speaking to anyone whatsoever, lol.
Do schools actually do this? Think you won’t pick them because you’re too good by having a high test score so they don’t even give you a chance to matriculate? @Goro or someone else can you clarify if this is a real thing - I see it pop up every few weeks on a thread.

I know a candidate with stats no different than OP whose only acceptance (at this point) is a DO school...

I would imagine there are other extenuating circumstances at play.

Do schools actually do this? Think you won’t pick them because you’re too good by having a high test score so they don’t even give you a chance to matriculate? @Goro or someone else can you clarify if this is a real thing - I see it pop up every few weeks on a thread.
Based upon historic norms, schools do something called resource protection. They know that they have to interview 3x as many candidates like OP to get one to matriculate as they can with someone closer to the median in stats. Why should Drexel/Albany class schools waste precious interview slots on candidates they know who will go to Harvard/Stanford class schools?

Yield/resource protection is a rational move supported by game theory. Makes sense that it occurs.

Huh?

Being able to interact with patients depends VERY HEAVILY upon these skills.

That’s like saying “playing wide receiver is very different from being able to run routes and catch a football.” Sure there is more to being a receiver than just those two things, but you will be very poor at the former without excelling at the latter.

I think it depends on a lot of factors. I had similar stats as OP but still recieved many interviews and acceptances from more low yield or "mid-tier" schools like BU, Dartmouth, Rochester, etc. that straight up rejected many applicants pre-II. I think one important factor is location -- I come from the New England area so I would be more likely to attend one of these schools that a similar stat applicant from a warmer climate.

While I do think that resource protection is a thing, too often I see high stat candidates blame resource protection for bad applications or interviews (this doesn't apply to OP). I recently saw someone in my state school thread post that they had been rejected post-II, presumably because with their high stats, the adcom knew that they wouldn't come to our state school. Maybe the adcom was correct that the applicant wouldn't come to our state school, but it wasn't due to their stats -- I had a higher MCAT than that person and was accepted a couple weeks after my interview. I'm pretty sure interviewers can also tell if you think that you're "too good" for a school, and won't accept you because of it.

It honestly baffles me when stuff like this happens. I never hear of this in any other fields.

I think it depends on a lot of factors. I had similar stats as OP but still recieved many interviews and acceptances from more low yield or "mid-tier" schools like BU, Dartmouth, Rochester, etc. that straight up rejected many applicants pre-II. I think one important factor is location -- I come from the New England area so I would be more likely to attend one of these schools that a similar stat applicant from a warmer climate.

While I do think that resource protection is a thing, too often I see high stat candidates blame resource protection for bad applications or interviews (this doesn't apply to OP). I recently saw someone in my state school thread post that they had been rejected post-II, presumably because with their high stats, the adcom knew that they wouldn't come to our state school. Maybe the adcom was correct that the applicant wouldn't come to our state school, but it wasn't due to their stats -- I had a higher MCAT than that person and was accepted a couple weeks after my interview. I'm pretty sure interviewers can also tell if you think that you're "too good" for a school, and won't accept you because of it.
plus “yield protection” has to do with II slots, not post interview decisions. that person is deluding themselves

Here are some things that get people rejected immediately:

· Being unprofessional for any reason. An example is addressing a faculty member by their first name. Another is chewing gum during the interview. If you have a dry mouth, suck on a lozenge instead. BTW, the interview lasts all day. Acting unprofessionally during your tour, like yelling at a parking attendant, or trashing the school, or expecting the Admissions Office staff to hang up your coat or fetch you coffee is duly noted and affects your fate accordingly.

· Not taking the interview seriously, like showing up poorly dressed. This is suit and tie time (and nice dress/outfit/suit for the ladies). You're going into character. Yes, if the airline loses your luggage, we understand that.

· Do NOT be arrogant. People who think that they're God's gift to Medicine do not go into Medicine.

· Being too shy or nervous. Being quiet is OK; being monosyllabic or robotic is not.

· Not making eye contact is also a no-no (yes I'm aware that in some cultures, one does not look elders in the eye, but this is the USA and you need to look people in the eye here).

· Any hints of immaturity will be lethal for your chances. We expect you to be thoughtful and self-aware. Would you admit the gal who, when asked a hypothetical, "What would you do in this situation?" answers, "Oh, that wouldn't happen."

· Showing you're greedy.

· Showing any hint of entitlement. This includes the “I was accepted to XSOM, so what are you going to do for me?” The answer will be “Good luck and have fun at XSOM.

· Being clueless as to why you're choosing Medicine as a career.

· Doing this because your mom/dad wants you to be a doctor (or don't think you can be doctor).

· Completely lacking people skills (4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen, really).

· Showing that you're more interested in research than Medicine. This might be OK at Stanford, but it won’t fly at most other schools.

· Still being the hyper-gunner...I rejected a 4.0 gal who wanted to answer the questions I asked of another person in the interview panel. I don't want to admit someone who will be in my office whining about how they got a 95 on an exam and deserved a 96.

· Having a flat affect. This might be due to medication, or a mental or personality disorder. You ever meet someone who could never crack a smile? I don't want someone like that touching patients.

· Copping an attitude. I asked a woman why she didn't have any volunteer experience. She replied that she was too busy working. Fair enough, some people have lives, but she copped an attitude while delivering this, and I just wrote down "reject".

· Coming in with scripted answers and being unable to deviate from said script.

· Being ill-prepared for fairly common interview questions (e.g. Why this school? Why Medicine?)

· Thinking that always circling back to your accomplishments and how great you are impresses us.

· Making excuses for misdeeds. We had rejected someone once who had some fairly benign misdemeanors, but blamed it on the policemen who gave him the tickets.

· Don’t do show and tell. I don’t want you pulling out a binder with your resume or portfolio. Let your application speak for you.

· Being a babbling idiot. These are those people who can't answer a question concisely. I've sure you've met people like this...why bother using one word when ten will do? I suspect that they’re thinking for an answer while they're speaking, so the mouth is going while the brain tries to come up with something.

· It’s OK to gather your thoughts, but it’s not OK to blank out. This group includes the people who do something like this (and I am NOT making this up!):
goro: So tell me about this trip to Honduras
Interviewee: Well, we went there for a mission trip and...what was the question?
goro: (thinking: reject!)

Or the guy who, when asked "How does your hobby relate to the practice of Medicine?", and can't even say "It doesn't", and definitely can't even BS an answer, but sits there in a coma?

SO if someone was interviewing with an adcom and really did not know how to answer the question or wasn't prepared for it, what should be done?! And how long does can that person take to collect their thoughts before it would seem like they are blanking out? DO adcomes prefer to accept a student with an outgoing personality and not really timid or shy? How they can they tell that difference between a shy timid person and a respectful polite person?!