Waitlisted at Michigan Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just recieved a letter saying I am waitlisted at UM Dental. What are my chances and how soon will I know? Please reply!

Members don't see this ad.

cba said:
Okay, I just recieved a letter saying I am waitlisted at UM Dental. What are my chances and how soon will I know? Please reply!
Actually I got on the alternate list if that makes a difference..

cba said:
Actually I got on the alternate list if that makes a difference..

I got put on the alternate list too....

Members don't see this ad :)
loveteeth said:
I got put on the alternate list too....
Do you know anything about it?

I read on their site that there is no rankings for people on the alt. list but how does that work then?

Any input from anybody is much appreciated!

So did I. That doesn't seem very good if all 3 of us are on the list. I have no idea how many they put on that thing.

Beta Blocker said:
So did I. That doesn't seem very good if all 3 of us are on the list. I have no idea how many they put on that thing.

Did anyone of u call the office to ask how many ppl they put in the alternate list? Or what position u are?

let me know..or i was gonna call..

I went there today to turn in my letter to accept alternate status and the woman at the desk in the admissions office wasn't much help. She didn't say exactly how many people were on the list, she just said that there is a rather large pool of alternates that they draw from. She also said that there is no ranking for the students on the alternate list. If a position should open up, the ADCOM will go back and review the alternate list and make a decision.

Beta Blocker said:
I went there today to turn in my letter to accept alternate status and the woman at the desk in the admissions office wasn't much help. She didn't say exactly how many people were on the list, she just said that there is a rather large pool of alternates that they draw from. She also said that there is no ranking for the students on the alternate list. If a position should open up, the ADCOM will go back and review the alternate list and make a decision.

Thanks for the info Beta Blocker. Good luck to you two (BetaBlocker and loveteeth). If you hear about a change in your alternate status please let me know and I will do the same.

Does anyone else have anything else to add?

Here's what the Univ. says on their website: " Some applicants may be offered an alternate position. Each year we maintain a list of alternate candidates. When our class falls below capacity, the admissions committee selects an alternate for that spot. Applicants on the alternate list are not ranked. Due to our constantly changing roster of accepted students, alternates may not know if they will be admitted until very late in August. In some years a few students are moved into the class from the alternate list while in other years there is no one moved into the class from the alternate list."

That doesn't make me feel much better :( .

Hi everyone,

GOOD LUCK! I just called the admissions office and did not accept their offer. (Extremely difficult decision to make.) I hope one of you benefits from that. Wishing you all the best.

VClovesteeth05 said:
Hi everyone,

GOOD LUCK! I just called the admissions office and did not accept their offer. (Extremely difficult decision to make.) I hope one of you benefits from that. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

VClovesteeth05 said:
Hi everyone,

Thank You! :)

I have been told that there are about 20 people offered a spot on the waitlist, just so everyone has an idea. And the list is seperated into In State and Out of State. Once a position opens they review comments made about each candidate by the adcom, in state out of state, sex, undergrad college, etc. to maintain class diversity.

Beta Blocker said:
I have been told that there are about 20 people offered a spot on the waitlist, just so everyone has an idea. And the list is seperated into In State and Out of State. Once a position opens they review comments made about each candidate by the adcom, in state out of state, sex, undergrad college, etc. to maintain class diversity.

Out of curiousity, what exactly is the adcom?

And yea, I too join the rest of y'all on the waitlist. The MM1 which I had so much fun doing I heard was not considered into the decision because it was a pilot this year =/. Hopefully people holding multiple spots will open up, I had a friend waitlisted last year who got in late August. Good luck to you all.

Beta Blocker said:

20 people... that's not bad at all, now I feel like we have more of a chance... where did you get this information from?

adcom=admissions committee

I also heard the MMI don't matter in the decision this year

cba said:
20 people... that's not bad at all, now I feel like we have more of a chance... where did you get this information from?

adcom=admissions committee

I also heard the MMI don't matter in the decision this year

You could be right, but for some reason I doubt that considering the MMI was basically the entire interview. I mean, why have an interview if it doesn't matter?

michman25 said:
You could be right, but for some reason I doubt that considering the MMI was basically the entire interview. I mean, why have an interview if it doesn't matter?

Michman25...are u on the alternate list too?

I got this information because I emailed someone in the admissions office. That is what they emailed back.

Yeah I'm on the alternate list too.