Waitlisted at Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ARRRRRRRRRRG ... man this really is NEUROSIS setting in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

But I'm abroad so I can only get an email, ew. Phone calls are so much cooler!

ROCK ON, WAITLIST MOVER PEOPLE ... do yo thang! SHAKE DAT BOOTY!

:hardy:

And whoever asked for Paula's addy: [email protected] :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ME = :scared: (waiting by phone)

(phone rings)

ME = Hello??? Is this Pitt Med Admissions?

Caller = sweetheart, it's mommy! How's your day been?

ME = MOM! Get off the line! I'm waiting for a phone call.

Caller = is it a special girl for my big boy?

ME = MOM!!! ... (pause) well ... sort of ... bye Mom. (click)

(2 hours go by in front of phone)

(phone rings; I jump out of my chair and drop my food on the floor)

ME = Hello? Is this Pitt Med Admissions???

Caller = NO sir, I am calling to offer you a free paid vacation for you and your loved ones to Aruba ... all you have to do is just participate in a short 2 hour survey that benefits the Firefighters ...

ME = SHUT UP, man! Give the freaking firefighters my vacation! (click)

(4 hours go by)

(phone rings)

ME = HOLY ****!!!!!! (picks up phone) Is this Pitt Med Admissions?

Caller = Dude, this is the Ghost of Admissions Present, you lil' Ebeneezer ... bro, I'm so drunk man!

ME = Mike, go Scrooge yourself!

(goes to sleep ... then at 2am, phone rings)

ME = who ... what, what, ummmm ... (swallows) HELLO ... is this Pitt Med Admissions?

Caller = make all your fantasies come true with Wild Girls at 1-900 ...

(click)

(8am, phone rings)

ME = HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this Pitt Med Admissions?

Caller = No, this is Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes ... you've won one million dollars! CONGRATULATIONS, SIR!

ME = DAMN IT! Don't call me anymore! (click)

Members don't see this ad :)
So now the neuroses set in, and we spend all our waking hours by the telephone. Answering even telemarketers within a millisecond of the start of the first ring. Yee-hah.

Yeah, today I got a phone call from a 412 number I didn't know and had a mini heart attack until I found out it was from a friend's new apartment. It was quite disappointing...

And now I'm a nervous mess! At least there is SOME waitlist movement! :(

You know this process is driving you insane when you're depressed it's the weekend because there will be no calls from Pitt. :(

So I emailed Beth Piraino and she told me today that they had already taken the first wave off of the WL. They're waiting to see who's going to accept those spots before they can extend any more offers. :thumbdown: :(

So I emailed Beth Piraino and she told me today that they had already taken the first wave off of the WL. They're waiting to see who's going to accept those spots before they can extend any more offers. :thumbdown: :(

how many people constitute the first wave?

Nice. Now we all know we weren't even good enough to be on the first "wave" of their waitlist.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have asked my student interviewer how often students actually go to lecture...

wow, that's pretty depressing.

Well, in light of Beth's statement, it looks like I should gear up for the next application cycle. w00t.

Well, in light of Beth's statement, it looks like I should gear up for the next application cycle. w00t.
I think that's a bit of an overreaction. Since we don't know how big "the first wave" actually is, there's no telling what the situation is. It's useless to throw out numbers or guesses...but what if it was only 10 people; did you really expect to be in the top 10 of a rather lengthy list of well-qualified candidates? Plus it's almost June; it's reasonable to expect that many waitlisters (especially those at the top due to an increased likelihood of other offers) have already made plans to attend another institution- even if Pitt was their top choice (and that's a big IF). I take it as good news that there is movement this early...and that's enough good news for one day >).

PS- it's still a good idea to gear up for the next application cycle (I certainly am...), it's just that this information doesn't really change anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a side not, Piraino also added that withdrawals were extremely slow this year so far...

I recently withdrew. Good luck to you all!

As a side not, Piraino also added that withdrawals were extremely slow this year so far...

Slow as in they're trickling in as late as possible but are still happening, or slow as in no one is withdrawing? I think because Pitt doesn't require a deposit until May 16-24, people don't rush to withdraw by May 15 for a refund. (Unless they changed this since past years.) Hopefully this means more waitlist movement to come for us!!!! :D

I'm withdrawing...got into a cali school so I'm out!

hey all! just received an email from paula saying that waitlist movement has been slow this year and that their class is full as of today. boo! :mad:

hey all! just received an email from paula saying that waitlist movement has been slow this year and that their class is full as of today. boo! :mad:
that really sucks! so waitlist is completely done??

yeah, at least until more people withdraw by getting into other schools, i suppose. :(

well I still haven't officially withdrawn from pitt..I'm waiting for my letter to come from uc davis..so thats one spot for sure...I'm sure more people will withdraw as time goes on...no way they overaccepted by that much

hey guys, not sure if this will help you, but i just withdrew on monday afternoon. good luck!! :luck:

I just got in on waitlist last week! Expensive school but at least I got into one. I was already on plan B...reapplying for this year! I had moved and got a job as a D assistant! lol
Time to pack and move again

I just got in on waitlist last week! Expensive school but at least I got into one. I was already on plan B...reapplying for this year! I had moved and got a job as a D assistant! lol
Congrats, best of luck to you!

all your other posts are on the pre-dental forums. did you get into the dental school off the waitlist? (i only ask because i once made the opposite mistake with the search function, hehe.)

That would make sense as to why he stated he had gotten a job as a dental assistant. :cool:

Bit the bullet and started my AMCAS for the 2008 cycle. Gott sei Dank that I don't have to re-enter my coursework. I just need to tweak my EC's and get my transcripts in; knock on wood, things will go quickly this time around.

Bit the bullet and started my AMCAS for the 2008 cycle. Gott sei Dank that I don't have to re-enter my coursework. I just need to tweak my EC's and get my transcripts in; knock on wood, things will go quickly this time around.
Hehe, what's killing me is rewriting my PS....I've got like 6 new versions to pick from right now >).

I'm leaving my PS alone - all of the feedback I've received has been positive (one clinician called it perfect :) ). It's all still true, and isn't the "All my life I've wanted to be a doctor" generic BS, er, PS.

Quix: When you say you "bit the bullet," does that mean you were officially rejected? or you decided to get a head start on apps for the next cycle anyway..

I wouldn't think they would reject waitlist candidates until the class was officially set.

I just meant that I started working on the 2008 cycle AMCAS and started looking at DO schools. I promised myself to see this through one more full cycle, and since I managed to hamstring myself by applying late in the last cycle, I decided that early is the way to go. I've updated all of my info (except the ECs, which I'm still tweaking), but I'll be sending out the transcript requests and committee letter request this week. Knock on wood, things will be smoother, since I already have all of my numbers in and available.

It's not looking good. I received an email from one of the deans telling me they are still overcommitted and won't be taking many from the WL this year.

It's not looking good. I received an email from one of the deans telling me they are still overcommitted and won't be taking many from the WL this year.
Well that's weird....so have they or haven't they been making some WL offers as reported? I just got an email today from my other WL school stating that it's moving very slowly this year....

Don't know if this helps, but someone on the Allo Class Thread for Pitt said they got in off the waitlist on May 29. So, it must be moving. I don't know how they can be oversubscribed and still taking some people. *shrug*

I wouldn't get your hopes high for Pitt.

They're definately a top school (#15? i think), but they act so arrogant as if they are a top 10 or something. So unless your the type of student that fights to get into those type of schools, ur probably on the end of the waitlist like me.

Don't know if this helps, but someone on the Allo Class Thread for Pitt said they got in off the waitlist on May 29. So, it must be moving. I don't know how they can be oversubscribed and still taking some people. *shrug*

I phoned today. Movement has begun and "will continue until orientation."

Well I guess overcommitted may be the wrong word. They told me as of the time they wrote me that they had one more student than they needed and so far with the limited movement the WL will move, but will move slowly through the summer.

Well I guess overcommitted may be the wrong word. They told me as of the time they wrote me that they had one more student than they needed and so far with the limited movement the WL will move, but will move slowly through the summer.
One extra student is hardly "over-committed"... >) Alright, well overall I guess this is encouraging; we've still got two months and change, and in the mean time we've got the next application cycle to keep us busy.

One extra student is hardly "over-committed"... >) Alright, well overall I guess this is encouraging; we've still got two months and change, and in the mean time we've got the next application cycle to keep us busy.

QFT. At this point, I'm prepared for the worst for this application cycle; I will not make the same mistake of submitting late again.

I'm going to meet with Paula in a couple weeks-- what questions do you guys have... I'll try to fill you in as much as I can when it's over.... I figure the more informed we are the better we can rest or at least plan for the next season.

I'm going to meet with Paula in a couple weeks-- what questions do you guys have... I'll try to fill you in as much as I can when it's over.... I figure the more informed we are the better we can rest or at least plan for the next season.
I wish I could meet with her....but it's a good 18 hours round trip by car >). It would be nice to know how many people are on the waitlist, and if she had to guess, how many people will be accepted between now and day one. Also, just out of curiosity...are new (2008) applicants reviewed in any special way if they are currently on the waitlist for 2007 (stated differently; could a strong 2008 application help waitlist position for 2007). I'd also like to know whether waitlist position is set in stone, or whether position could be influenced by staying in touch, willingness to go at the last minute, etc., etc. That's all that comes to mind for me.....

Has anyone here gotten ANY info about their ranking on the waitlist? I feel like Pitt is being very discrete about this information.

Has anyone here gotten ANY info about their ranking on the waitlist? I feel like Pitt is being very discrete about this information.
Well actually we all have SOME info...since we haven't been accepted off the waitlist yet and we know others have been >).

I have been wondering why Pitt does not give any info after they informed you that you are on their wait list, a ranked list. Can any one think of any reason(s)? Maybe Pitt started off that way by chance, and then it is simply 'if it's not broken(not broken since they never had trouble filling the seats with eager applicants), don't fix it.' That's the only one I can think of.

I have been wondering why Pitt does not give any info after they informed you that you are on their wait list, a ranked list. Can any one think of any reason(s)? Maybe Pitt started off that way by chance, and then it is simply 'if it's not broken(not broken since they never had trouble filling the seats with eager applicants), don't fix it.' That's the only one I can think of.

from talking to a doc on the admissions committee i know that each applicant is given a number score. so the only reason i can think of for them not releasing the places is if they don't pull off simply by number. maybe they have other factors as well. who knows though. maybe they just want to drive us insane.

I've heard no official explanation; all I know is that they don't disclose. I just e-mailed Beth about what effect submitting an application for the 2008 entering class would have on my current application, since I'm floating in waitlist limbo at the moment.