Waitlisted at USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
freelancer said:
hey ya fellas,
I'll now be joining you guys soon!!! :) Soo I'll see you all in June and also when school starts!!!

Congratulations! See you at OBC

JOE

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations for getting off the waitlist! I'm just curious, but how are you guys being notified by USUHS of the acceptance? Thanks for the info. and I really hope I'll be at OBC this summer with all of you!

cmossop said:
Congratulations for getting off the waitlist! I'm just curious, but how are you guys being notified by USUHS of the acceptance? Thanks for the info. and I really hope I'll be at OBC this summer with all of you!

I received an email from a Doc at the school that I was introduced to by an OB/Gyn I know out my way. She let me know when she found out, but I'm not sure if that was official or not. Ultimately, I received a letter from the school about three days later. I know one other poster got a phone call prior to his letter (unfortunately his name escapes me at the moment and I don't have the time to go back and check who it was). I wish you the best of luck and hope that you hear soon.

Here's hoping I see you at OBC,
JOE

Members don't see this ad :)
jtriplet said:
I received an email from a Doc at the school that I was introduced to by an OB/Gyn I know out my way. She let me know when she found out, but I'm not sure if that was official or not. Ultimately, I received a letter from the school about three days later. I know one other poster got a phone call prior to his letter (unfortunately his name escapes me at the moment and I don't have the time to go back and check who it was). I wish you the best of luck and hope that you hear soon.

Here's hoping I see you at OBC,
JOE
Just curious: are you guys Navy, Army, or USAF?

[QUOT E=BOHICA-FIGMO]Just curious: are you guys Navy, Army, or USAF?[/QUOTE]

Army.

Just curious how many folks on the USAF waitlist at USUHS have received unconditional acceptances since 15 May. I'm sweating bullets right now :scared:

well you know about me, but its conditional still. I think they are still clearing me.

Well it's about time someone resurrected this thread! I got my acceptance letter in the mail on Saturday (Army) and cannot wait to start at USUHS this summer. So, for anyone still waiting, don't lose hope just yet, the list is moving and hopefully we'll all be at MOST - medical officer survivorship training (for the people who got accepted late and couldn't get processed in time to go to OBC/OIS/COT) on July 25th. By the way, is anyone looking for a roommate because it would be nice to be able to pocket some of the BAH!

Corey

cmossop said:
Well it's about time someone resurrected this thread! I got my acceptance letter in the mail on Saturday (Army) and cannot wait to start at USUHS this summer. So, for anyone still waiting, don't lose hope just yet, the list is moving and hopefully we'll all be at MOST - medical officer survivorship training (for the people who got accepted late and couldn't get processed in time to go to OBC/OIS/COT) on July 25th. By the way, is anyone looking for a roommate because it would be nice to be able to pocket some of the BAH!

Corey

Congrats Corey. I'll see you in the fall.

JOE

I just got back today from my two week trek across our beautiful nation and there are still no orders in my mailbox :scared: I did get the copy of my USUHS contract back from Ms. Taylor (postdated June 2) and it said that she requested orders and I should see them shortly. How long after you folks got that package did you see your orders? I'm pretty sure they've been processed, because I received an email on June 3 confirming my registration for OBC. Anyone have an idea on whether or not I'll get them in the next two days. And if for some reason I don't get them until Monday and they have tell me to report to Sam Houston the day before what then? :laugh: Oh well, let me know folks.

I'll see all you crazy Army folk on Sunday......I hope ;)

JOE

jtriplet said:
I just got back today from my two week trek across our beautiful nation and there are still no orders in my mailbox :scared: I did get the copy of my USUHS contract back from Ms. Taylor (postdated June 2) and it said that she requested orders and I should see them shortly. How long after you folks got that package did you see your orders? I'm pretty sure they've been processed, because I received an email on June 3 confirming my registration for OBC. Anyone have an idea on whether or not I'll get them in the next two days. And if for some reason I don't get them until Monday and they have tell me to report to Sam Houston the day before what then? :laugh: Oh well, let me know folks.

JOE
As a last resort, I would have her fax a copy to you. Then, go hog wild and make tons of copies (trust me, you WILL need them). Not ideal, but at least you won't show up at OBC or COT or whatever without orders. You might also check to see if there is another class in July. I know the USAF has two COT classes before USUHS starts (one in Jun, on in July). Anywho, good luck! :luck:

On a related note, any USAF people (besides UCBShocker :oops: ) out there?

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
As a last resort, I would have her fax a copy to you. Then, go hog wild and make tons of copies (trust me, you WILL need them). Not ideal, but at least you won't show up at OBC or COT or whatever without orders. You might also check to see if there is another class in July. I know the USAF has two COT classes before USUHS starts (one in Jun, on in July). Anywho, good luck! :luck:

whats wrong with me!? =)

UCBShocker said:
whats wrong with me!? =)

We love you Shocker! :horns: :D
Just not a whole lot of USAF voices out here. Except for you, me, qqq, Moosepilot, and a few others, not many prospective USAF docs (well, that's still a big maybe in my case :p ) chime in here.

Members don't see this ad :)
BOHICA-FIGMO said:

Thanks for the advice BOHICA

JOE

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
We love you Shocker! :horns: :D
Just not a whole lot of USAF voices out here. Except for you, me, qqq, Moosepilot, and a few others, not many prospective USAF docs (well, that's still a big maybe in my case :p ) chime in here.

This is true... the Air Force is not in first place when it comes to size =).

jtriplet said:

JOE
When Ms. Taylor gets your orders, she will forward you an electronic copy of them. If you print them out, they look the same as the ones that arrive in your mailbox approximately 5 days after she sends you the email.

Hope to see you next week!

deegs said:
When Ms. Taylor gets your orders, she will forward you an electronic copy of them. If you print them out, they look the same as the ones that arrive in your mailbox approximately 5 days after she sends you the email.

Hope to see you next week!

Funny you should mention that. Ms. Taylor emailed me my electronic copies today and I have already printed out multiple copies. In face, I just got done being sworn in at the local recruiting office. Looks like I'll be driving to San Antonio this Saturday. See you all there.

JOE

jtriplet said:
Funny you should mention that. Ms. Taylor emailed me my electronic copies today and I have already printed out multiple copies. In face, I just got done being sworn in at the local recruiting office. Looks like I'll be driving to San Antonio this Saturday. See you all there.

JOE
Does anyone else find it more than just a little ironic that we prospective students have to get our **** together a year ahead of time, yet the military waits until the last possible minute to get back with us?!? Un-freaking believable!
For instance, jtriplet getting orders just two days before you are required to be at OBC is simply ridiculous (even by DoD standards). IMNSHO FWIW. Check six!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Does anyone else find it more than just a little ironic that we prospective students have to get our **** together a year ahead of time, yet the military waits until the last possible minute to get back with us?!?

You are right...it is unbelieveable...along with just about everything that goes on in military medicine....but remember, you chose this willingly...fully informed....blah, blah, blah....right?

militarymd said:
You are right...it is unbelieveable...along with just about everything that goes on in military medicine....but remember, you chose this willingly...fully informed....blah, blah, blah....right?
Right. "I take this obligation freely, without mental reservation or purpose of evasion." Still, the military has a knack for turning "volunteers" into "vol-in-tears."

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Right. "I take this obligation freely, without mental reservation or purpose of evasion." Still, the military has a knack for turning "volunteers" into "vol-in-tears."

well a person has the option not to go if the orders were not given within 60 days of the beginning of Active Duty... you have to ofcourse talk to the head people... but they would just have to go next year anyway if they're army.

Well, I spoke to one of my inside sources at USUHS (who shall remain anonymous ;) ). Her/His information indicated that there were only 16 slots left for all the services. Zero, count-em, ZERO (zilch, nada) slots available for the USAF. So unless someone breaks their leg at COT (oh please, oh please...just kidding!) we are SOL for an Air Force slot. As always, CHECK SIX!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Well, I spoke to one of my inside sources at USUHS (who shall remain anonymous ;) ). Her/His information indicated that there were only 16 slots left for all the services. Zero, count-em, ZERO (zilch, nada) slots available for the USAF. So unless someone breaks their leg at COT (oh please, oh please...just kidding!) we are SOL for an Air Force slot. As always, CHECK SIX!

Sorry bro, I wish it were different. Is there usually any movement during the summer months? I guess your probably going to take one of your other medical school options though huh? Are you going HPSP? Which branch are going to go with. Which ever would be lucky to have you.

As for me I commissioned just yesterday after making a final decision. I don't plan on breaking my leg at COT, but I will PM you if I do =). I better sure as hell get a deferral for next year though hehe.

Well it is official, I got my "we do not anticipate that we will be able to offer you a position in our entering class" letter from USUHS. Good luck to everyone! As a civilian, I'll have fun making 3-5 times the $$ you make (even with ISP/MSP) :smuggrin:

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Well it is official, I got my "we do not anticipate that we will be able to offer you a position in our entering class" letter from USUHS. Good luck to everyone! As a civilian, I'll have fun making 3-5 times the $$ you make (even with ISP/MSP) :smuggrin:

Ouch... I will just assume you finished that paragraph after "everyone" =).

BOHICA-FIGMO said:

Sorry about that. Your situation doesn't make sense to me, but it does scare the dickens out of me.

Good luck and enjoy the bucks, the time not deployed, and little possibility of being mortared! :thumbup:

sorry to hear you didn't get what you want. such is life. good luck, i know you will make the most of it. good luck in med school. i'm thinking you are going to BU for some reason. sounds awesome to me.

UCBShocker said:
Ouch... I will just assume you finished that paragraph after "everyone" =).
Sorry, I'm just pretty bitter at this point. I guess I'm lucky I don't have to rely on Uncle Sam to get me into and through Med School (qqq: I'm going to East Tennessee State not Boston, but anyway :) ) Thanks to UCBShocker, qqq, MoosePilot, and all the rest for your sympathy and support. Just remember to check six and don't trust ANYTHING AFPC tells you! They are a bunch of lying SOBs who don't have to face the consequences of their decisions!

militarymd said:
consider it a blessing in disguise :thumbup:
No kidding! I can have a family, a life, and not have to risk my health in some God-forsaken third world country (except for the occasional trip to Mexico :smuggrin: )