Waitlisted for Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victorria82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So Columbia University notified me that I am on the waitlist. I was wondering if anyone knew 1) if they rank us 2) how many do they put on the waitlist?

The school did mention that they always go back to their alternate list. I am just wondering how good are my chances given how late in the application cycle I am. And for sure, the end of May is when we ultimately know where we all stand? Does anyone know when is the last day for candidates to decide their school of choice?

Viel Glueck (Good luck)! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

victorria82 said:
Hey Everyone,
So Columbia University notified me that I am on the waitlist. I was wondering if anyone knew 1) if they rank us 2) how many do they put on the waitlist?

The school did mention that they always go back to their alternate list. I am just wondering how good are my chances given how late in the application cycle I am. And for sure, the end of May is when we ultimately know where we all stand? Does anyone know when is the last day for candidates to decide their school of choice?

Viel Glueck (Good luck)! :luck:

Anyone who knows better go ahead and correct me here, but it is my understanding that while the waitlist is technically "unranked" (in the sense that no formal numbering system occurs), the admissions committee will periodically convene to discuss the most eligible candidates on the waitlist to fill newly vacated seats. So, its not as though people are coming off the waitlist via some kind of dart board method. :)

As for how long the list is, I have no idea. I asked Dr. Davis and he ball parked it at 20, but I asked McManus and he wasn't forthcoming. This state of waiting is no fun at all. Best of luck!!

Thanks for the quick response :) Really appreciate it. Sorry, but I will pose again my last question... "our state of waiting" will surely end in May, yes?

Gulch said:
Anyone who knows better go ahead and correct me here, but it is my understanding that while the waitlist is technically "unranked" (in the sense that no formal numbering system occurs), the admissions committee will periodically convene to discuss the most eligible candidates on the waitlist to fill newly vacated seats. So, its not as though people are coming off the waitlist via some kind of dart board method. :)

As for how long the list is, I have no idea. I asked Dr. Davis and he ball parked it at 20, but I asked McManus and he wasn't forthcoming. This state of waiting is no fun at all. Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
victorria82 said:
Thanks for the quick response :) Really appreciate it. Sorry, but I will pose again my last question... "our state of waiting" will surely end in May, yes?

hopefully it should end in may. but you have to consider that sometimes people change their minds at the last minute for personal reasons, so in all reality it could go all the way to august. if you're a "skin of your teeth" kind of optimist that should be good news! :)

I'm on the wait list too. My understanding is that they dont rank people on the wait list, but priority is given to candidates that display a strong desire to attend. Dr. McManus makes the final call for wait listed people to offered positions. I'd shot him an email asap if you're serious about going to columbia.

Not sure about how big the pool is, but i remember him saying that the retention rate for acceptance letters was like 54percent, so to fill a class of 75...you're looking at around 150ish letters sent out. And thats out of 230ish interviewed. Dont know about the rates for wait listed people. Keep your hopes up, you'll get in.

snoosnoo said:
Not sure about how big the pool is, but i remember him saying that the retention rate for acceptance letters was like 54percent, so to fill a class of 75...you're looking at around 150ish letters sent out. And thats out of 230ish interviewed. Dont know about the rates for wait listed people. Keep your hopes up, you'll get in.

Wow, I had no idea your chances were soo good at Columbia if you're granted an interview. 150 out of 230 is pretty good odds. Oh, not to make you feel bad victoria though. People get accepted to schools as late as the day before classes - believe me it's true!! So, it's not over until september. But even then, if you're really big on columbia, just apply next year and re-take the DATs (& kick ass!!). I so wish I had taken a year off before starting D-school - i'm already burnt out. :(

True, it doesn't end until September. God bless.

Oh yeah, another popped into my head, if you apply again next year and you were waitlisted, supposedly your get "special consideration". Plus you'll have applying early on your side ;)

hey guys,
wow thanks for replying to this thread. it really helps me calm my nerves since being on a waitlist is not so easy with me. anyhoo, is it really true that those waitlisted are given special consideration for the next app cycle? and if so, how do i reapply? do i start from scratch with the AADSAS app or does that central online app service still maintain my info? also, would have to re-interview? But no worries, I will still keep waiting and see if they have a spot left for moi.

Thanks and Viel Glueck!
Vicki

PS - If you are holding more than one acceptance at the moment, please make ur decision fast. Doing so will most def help relieve the anxiously waiting alternates :)

I wouldnt worry about being waitlisted at Columbia. I was initially waitlisted last year, and I didnt even send in that form to show my interest in being on the waitlist cause I had no intentions of going to Columbia, showed no interest whatsoever, but in the summer, they still contacted me and asked if I would still come to Columbia. I think that since Columbia is a private school, many people drop out and since they dont interview that many, their waitlist moves pretty well.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I wouldnt worry about being waitlisted at Columbia. I was initially waitlisted last year, and I didnt even send in that form to show my interest in being on the waitlist cause I had no intentions of going to Columbia, showed no interest whatsoever, but in the summer, they still contacted me and asked if I would still come to Columbia. I think that since Columbia is a private school, many people drop out and since they dont interview that many, their waitlist moves pretty well.
Hello.
just curious. can u explain why columbia was no where on the top of ur list? what are three things about the school u dont like? so far i have interviewed only at bu and columbia, which in ur opinion is better?

thanks
Best
victorria

victorria82 said:
Hello.
just curious. can u explain why columbia was no where on the top of ur list? what are three things about the school u dont like? so far i have interviewed only at bu and columbia, which in ur opinion is better?

thanks
Best
victorria

You sound like another desparate house wife, aren't you? :laugh:
j/k
Seriously, looking at the clinical perspective, bu sounds better.
My 3 cents, Your call.