waitlisted...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lina123321

ralph: im a unitard
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
interview season is essentially over, and i havent been fortunate enough to receive at least one acceptance of the five interviews i've had..i got one postinterview rejection, 3 waitlists, and have yet to hear from one (its been 2months since i interviewed, and im guessing its either another waitlist or a postinterview rejection)...

im sure the main deterrent is my mcat score (which is less than 30), and the fact that on one of the two mcat takes, i performed terribly in verbal (which makes no sense at all..).

im thinking ab0ut taking the mcat again, but i also am holding out alot of hope in getting off at least one of those waitlists...if u were in this position, would you retake the mcat this june (only approx. 2 months of studying) or wait until next year to take it, and apply for the 2009 cycle.

what am i supposed to do in the meantime, what kind of healthcarejobs are there for BAs in Biology?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up yet! There should be movement on the waitlists in the next couple of months. Personally, I probably wouldn't take the MCAT again just yet. Try to get some more volunteer/research experiences and write letters to the schools.

I'm waitlisted at all my schools, too, so I'm planning for next year in case I don't get in. Here's what I came up with so far: research. You might be able to get something at the NIH or a local university. I'm also considering teaching the MCAT course for Kaplan. Look into teaching for Kaplan or Princeton Review if any of your scores (MCAT, SAT, etc) meet their requirements. That's all I have for now. Hope that helps!

interview season is essentially over, and i havent been fortunate enough to receive at least one acceptance of the five interviews i've had..i got one postinterview rejection, 3 waitlists, and have yet to hear from one (its been 2months since i interviewed, and im guessing its either another waitlist or a postinterview rejection)...

im sure the main deterrent is my mcat score (which is less than 30), and the fact that on one of the two mcat takes, i performed terribly in verbal (which makes no sense at all..).

im thinking ab0ut taking the mcat again, but i also am holding out alot of hope in getting off at least one of those waitlists...if u were in this position, would you retake the mcat this june (only approx. 2 months of studying) or wait until next year to take it, and apply for the 2009 cycle.

what am i supposed to do in the meantime, what kind of healthcarejobs are there for BAs in Biology?

You are obviously a very competitive applicant. I would focus on getting off those waitlists. Call them. Write them. Make sure they know who you are.

Any recommendations would also depend on your background and work experience. Are you currently in school(i.e. graduating senior)?

I can think of two jobs that may be helpful. If you are near an academic medical center I would try to get a job as a research assistant.

Another idea would be to get a job working in a clinical capacity (medical assistant, er tech, cna). These jobs aren't the greatest but they can be ok if your boss is cool and will teach you some things.

It also depends on what you may need to improve in your application. Do you have research experience? clinical experience?

I am not clear from your post but you have taken the MCAT twice, right? If you have been to a bunch of interviews and are now waitlisted I think schools know you can handle the work. Not sure it's necessary to retake it again.

Did you apply broadly?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have heard from successful applicants that writing a GOOD letter of intent to those schools will help you move up the waitlists real fast. Try that first before retaking the MCAT

Now that you're on a waitlist, what you have to do is wait. We are still about 4 months from start date for most schools. If you don't know where you are on the lists, don't sweat retaking the MCAT until then. Personally, I would entertain myself until May 15, which is when most schools will tell you where on the list you are. You can usually find how far down the list they went in previous years by searching SDN or the school's website. If it doesn't look like you'll get in, that's when you start planning your retake strategy. Try for a summer MCAT, and get your app in before september, and you'lll probably be in good shape.

You still have some hope to get into a school this year. Send some letters of update and interest. As a back-up, I would find out what was deficient in your application from some adcom members, maybe your MCAT score isn't what held you back.

u guys all raised good points:)..i guess im kinda bummed b/c i know that of the waitlisted schools, 2 are notorious for little to no waitlist movement; then again, im a pessimist by nature...

u guys all raised good points:)..i guess im kinda bummed b/c i know that of the waitlisted schools, 2 are notorious for little to no waitlist movement; then again, im a pessimist by nature...

may i ask, what r these 2 schools?

Hang-in there. I'm in the same boat (waitlisted at 3 of 5 schools). The process is kinda wearing me out, especially at this point.:( But I guess there still is hope:) that these waitlists will move

I'm in the same boat as you. I think the MCAT is more of a factor of the primary screening of the students before interview than after interview. I know that they look at the entire application when they decide, but there are other factors that they take into account, like how many seats are left in the class and how late it is. Since you were actually invited to an interview, they already know you have the merit to be there. As Dr. Hinkley (UMiami) told us on interview day, if you didn't have the merit, you wouldn't be there. Now there are things you can do to help yourself:
1. Find out about the movement of your particular school. For example, Florida Schools' waitlists move particularly quickly.
2. As others have said, write out a good letter of intent.
3. See if you can obtain any significant letter of recommendations that can add something about you. I emphasize significant.
4. Do well your last semester and send your transcripts in right away. NO SENIORITIS.

It is important that you are PROACTIVE. Don't allow yourself to slip under the cracks and be just a "number" to the ADCOMM. I did this also in the beginning of the process when they were screening for interviews. You have to SHOW them that you are not just another applicant.

Retaking the MCAT should be your LAST resort if you are still in the waitlist towards june or so, or if you can find out your position on the list and you find out your chances do not look good. In addition retaking the MCAT should go towards if you decide to reapply next cycle.

I hope this helps a little.