Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfleisch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just seem to keep getting put in the 2nd pile with a waitlist, and can't seem to just be given the thumbs up.

Stats:
3.98 GPA Penn State
Schreyer Honors: with thesis
Student Marshal
12BS 9Vr 11PS T
Tons of research at school with poster presentations
SUmmer Research Fellow at Penn
One whole summer in the hospital ER as a volunteer
Shadowing like everyone else

Waitlists:

Penn- first tier with LOI (have some good contacts too)
NYU- interviewer said he gave me a rave review
BU- my best interview in my opinion
Drexel- this one kinda boggled my mind

Still, I should have a good shot between all of those. I will keep being aggressive. But what should I expect and how should I plan moving forward? Aka, in case I have to reapply and what to do for next year just in case? I have not really planned much, I thought my stats would just be good enough, since it says like 91% acceptance rate on the AAMC website

Members don't see this ad.

So I just seem to keep getting put in the 2nd pile with a waitlist, and can't seem to just be given the thumbs up.

Stats:
3.98 GPA Penn State
Schreyer Honors: with thesis
Student Marshal
12BS 9Vr 11PS T
Tons of research at school with poster presentations
SUmmer Research Fellow at Penn
One whole summer in the hospital ER as a volunteer
Shadowing like everyone else

Waitlists:

Penn- first tier with LOI (have some good contacts too)
NYU- interviewer said he gave me a rave review
BU- my best interview in my opinion
Drexel- this one kinda boggled my mind

Still, I should have a good shot between all of those. I will keep being aggressive. But what should I expect and how should I plan moving forward? Aka, in case I have to reapply and what to do for next year just in case? I have not really planned much, I thought my stats would just be good enough, since it says like 91% acceptance rate on the AAMC website

I think the breadth of your ECs are weak....especially the clinical part.

I would have been working on that....though with 4 WL you should be ok.

Yea thats the picture I have got. But I just didn't find the clinical volunteering as an undergrad to be that active, since they didn't have much for me to do. I also spent two summers working 40-60 hrs a week in the lab, so not much time for anything else. But you are right on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea thats the picture I have got. But I just didn't find the clinical volunteering as an undergrad to be that active, since they didn't have much for me to do. I also spent two summers working 40-60 hrs a week in the lab, so not much time for anything else. But you are right on.

I would start working on it NOW....just in case....because if you dont get in you have to show the schools how you improved...and that is your weak area.

Stats are excellent...

Having just three months of clinical experience would be a problem for many adcomms. What about nonmedical community service, leadership, and teaching? Yes, your numbers are fine, but they just ensure that the rest of the application gets looked at.

Have you actively worked at improving your experiences since applying? If not, then you are not ready to apply again. First make substantive improvements before wasting more application dollars.

I tutored for a semester, have participated a lot in Penn State Thon community service, and have a lot of leadership through my fraternity which I talked about in interviews. It all comes down to less than spectacular clinical stuff I think.

Would it help to figure out something for the summer and update schools that I am doing so and so clinical stuff over the summer?

Thanks everyone for the help.