Waiver for history of marijuana use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacherman84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this question in the USUHS thread but got no response so i decided to broaden my audience.
Going through the secondary application for USUHS, I see that under other disqualifying conditions, Hx of use of marijuana is listed. I got caught over 7 years ago when I was in HS with a small amt...paid a fine havent done it since. Is this possibly going to keep me from getting into USUHS (if my GPA and MCAT dont do it)? Will it keep me from the HPSP as well?
Does anyone have any experience with this or know of anyone who has had something like this waived? What would this process involve?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this question in the USUHS thread but got no response so i decided to broaden my audience.
Going through the secondary application for USUHS, I see that under other disqualifying conditions, Hx of use of marijuana is listed. I got caught over 7 years ago when I was in HS with a small amt...paid a fine havent done it since. Is this possibly going to keep me from getting into USUHS (if my GPA and MCAT dont do it)? Will it keep me from the HPSP as well?
Does anyone have any experience with this or know of anyone who has had something like this waived? What would this process involve?
Thanks

What do you mean you got 'caught'? Were you formally charged, in court (misd or felony)? Other than the fine, is there any record of it? (my guess is not, b/c you were a minor at the time.

It was in court but as a civil offense. I had a friend in a local SO run a background check on me and he found no record but its got to be somewhere...so I am going to be forthcoming with it...I'm just hoping it wont be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was in court but as a civil offense. I had a friend in a local SO run a background check on me and he found no record but its got to be somewhere...so I am going to be forthcoming with it...I'm just hoping it wont be an issue.

Yeah, you should be fine . . .go for it

Thanks

you have a choice, you can either do this the easy way, or you can do it the right way.

The easy way, is to lie about it, and hope they don't find out. Usually they don't find out because nobody really has enough manpower to chase down every little thing. Many a young recruit has done this, and gotten away with it, even when they admit it later on, unless somebody really has a hard on to cause them lots of trouble, there aren't many cases where its caused anybody problems.

An example of where it might cause you some trouble, is if you decide to stay in, and at some point are being considered for a position where they actually do the background check that they say they do. (eg clearance to work at the white house.).

The RIGHT way, is to be truthful, and then apply for the waivers.
Think of the paperwork as your pennence (sp) for having done wrong.

With the lack of number of applicants for mil med, you will likely get the waiver.

good luck, and remember, I am not recommending mil med, I am just sharing experience...

i want out (of IRR)

you have a choice, you can either do this the easy way, or you can do it the right way.

The easy way, is to lie about it, and hope they don't find out. Usually they don't find out because nobody really has enough manpower to chase down every little thing. Many a young recruit has done this, and gotten away with it, even when they admit it later on, unless somebody really has a hard on to cause them lots of trouble, there aren't many cases where its caused anybody problems.

An example of where it might cause you some trouble, is if you decide to stay in, and at some point are being considered for a position where they actually do the background check that they say they do. (eg clearance to work at the white house.).

The RIGHT way, is to be truthful, and then apply for the waivers.
Think of the paperwork as your pennence (sp) for having done wrong.

With the lack of number of applicants for mil med, you will likely get the waiver.

good luck, and remember, I am not recommending mil med, I am just sharing experience...

i want out (of IRR)

Just be honest on your app about this one. I used to help process security clearances in the military. You can get a Top Secret clearance with a history of Marijuana use as long as it was 1) in the past (the longer back the better, 7 years is great) 2) you were like a dealer or convicted with a felony or something.

Unless it was taken off your record and you know that for sure, their are multiple databases they can use to search for that stuff.

You may have to write a short statement saying something like...I was young, I tried it a couple times, it was a mistake and I haven't used it since.

Okay, I have been wondering about a similar question. Say that there is a history of drug or alcohol use/abuse because it will show up in medical records. Has anyone heard of things like this being waived if the issues are no longer current?

Okay, I have been wondering about a similar question. Say that there is a history of drug or alcohol use/abuse because it will show up in medical records. Has anyone heard of things like this being waived if the issues are no longer current?

Yes, but you have to prove this is not an ongoing issue. The longer the timeframe, the more likely the waiver.

If it has been within the past 2-3 years, probably not. Longer than 3, should be OK.