Wake Forest Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Multilocularis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I guess it's time to start our own thread!
Congrats to everyone already accepted and those who will be joining soon. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Cozmosis said:
Throw some interview advice this way :) I'll be down there in January.

Well, the only thing I can suggest is this: if Wake is indeed your top choice, the admissions people have to know about it. They will not want you if you don't really want them (unless you are a superstar :cool: ). You know how you need to call them to get an interview? Everything else in the process ;) works that way. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there hasn't been anybody on here for a while....

Who is going to Wake? I haven't completely made up my mind, so I'd like to know why people are going there!

Hey gang. I'm also still trying to make up my mind, but Wake is definately in my top three. Anybody know if they do a second look/accepted students day in the spring?

Hey everyone. I'm on the waitlist, but I am very optimistic about it. Wake is my first choice. Anyone in Winston-Salem have an opinion on Brookford Place? What about Savannah Place? Any better recommendations?

Just bought a house in WS, can't wait to move!

I can't wait for school to start, but then again, I can't wait to actually have some time off too!

Lab Monster -

What neighborhood?

South of Baptist - not sure what 'hood it is technically. We're about 5-10 minutes away..

Congrats guys and gals from a member of the class of 2009!

LabMonster said:
South of Baptist - not sure what 'hood it is technically. We're about 5-10 minutes away..

Sounds good. My wife and I have been looking at places all over W-S. Someone told me Ardmore is nice.

Not sure if we are going to buy or rent. Both seem like deals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that buying the books is sort of 'optional' at Wake. They have some sort of way of sharing text books...

Saving money is fun :D

Anybody else heard that?

MN81 said:
I've heard that buying the books is sort of 'optional' at Wake. They have some sort of way of sharing text books...

Saving money is fun :D

Anybody else heard that?

One of the MS3 tour guides told us enough people have them to share, or you can just use library texts.

I'll admit though, I'm a book freak. My first undergrad school had a text rental system and I still ended up buying many of them (albeit much later when new editions were published and the old ones were sold cheap.)

Preference and cash flow :cool:

WOW, this is awesome!!! I can continue my 3 year book-LESS streak :)

bamf7 said:
Hey everyone. I'm on the waitlist, but I am very optimistic about it. Wake is my first choice. Anyone in Winston-Salem have an opinion on Brookford Place? What about Savannah Place? Any better recommendations?

Hey all

First off, congrats! I look forward to seeing you all here next year. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM me.

Brookford Place and Savannah Place are owned and operated by the same people. They are pretty much the same layout too. The difference is that Savannah Place is right off of Highway 421 and it is easier to get to the med school from there than it is from Brookford Place (but both are in West Winston). When I was looking for places, I looked at both of those places and found that they were a little bit too expensive for my budget. I ended up living in the Glen Eagles apartments which is right next to the Savannah Place apartments (I drive by there every morning on my way to school). We have all the amenities that Savannah Place has and the niceness is the same but I pay about 300 less a month for my apartment.

As far as housing goes, alot of people live in Ardmore, which is the neighborhood just south of Baptist. If you are planning on buying a house, this is a great neighboorhood to buy in. It very cozy and the houses there are both inexpensive and pretty nice. If you are planning on renting a apartment, though, nice apartments in Ardmore are hard to come by. Most of the places I looked at for apartments that were next to the hospital were a bit run down and on the older side. There are some nice apartments in the neighboorhood just north of the school (West End neighborhood), but can be a little pricey. If you want to look at some of them, here is a website (http://www.classyrentals.com/).

Myself and a few other medical student decided to live out in West Winston Salem, which in about 7 miles from the medical school (Around Country Club Rd. and Peace Haven Rd. if you know Winston). There are a number of excellent apartment complexes out here which offer many amenities (pools, fitness centers, etc.) as well as a nice safe neighborhood to live in. Grocery Stores, movie rental stores, nice restaurants, the movie theatre, and wal mart, are all in a 3 mile radius and you can get to the mall area in about 5 minutes. Highway 421 is close too so you can get to school in about 15 minutes in the morning (when there is a bit of traffic) or in 5 minutes when the roads are clear. Furthermore, if you look in the summer, they offer some excellent summer discounts (No deposit, reduced rent for the year, etc.). That's my take on renting here is Winston. If you are looking to buy (house or condo), I can't really help you but I might be able to put you in touch with people who can, just let me know.

Again, congrats.

PEACE

Well its official, Wake Forest Class of 2010! Withdrew my other acceptances earlier this week and have started looking into housing. Looking forward to meeting you all in July! :)

JrsyGirl114 said:
Well its official, Wake Forest Class of 2010! Withdrew my other acceptances earlier this week and have started looking into housing. Looking forward to meeting you all in July! :)

Congrats JrsyGirl

Housing, yeah, there are so many options! I love cheap living.

JrsyGirl114 said:

Congrats! See ya in July! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Feels good to reject schools instead of the other way around, doesn't it?

Woohoo!!! Congrats JrsyGirl114, welcome aboard. Looks like we are going to have an awesome group of people.

MN81 said:
Congrats JrsyGirl

Housing, yeah, there are so many options! I love cheap living.

MN81, did you finalize your decision too? You are one of us Deacs, right? :cool:

Multilocularis said:
MN81, did you finalize your decision too? You are one of us Deacs, right? :cool:

I will be a Deac, without a doubt. I haven't withdrawn at my state school because I want them to accept me, and then write a letter of how disgusted I am with them.

I won't tell you my homestate, but you might get a clue from my screen name...

MN81 said:
I will be a Deac, without a doubt. I haven't withdrawn at my state school because I want them to accept me, and then write a letter of how disgusted I am with them.

I won't tell you my homestate, but you might get a clue from my screen name...

Damn Viqueens. :laugh:

FYI:

Not sure where this came from (other than it was posted today by Medikit), or what year it is???? But here is the Match List for Wake as posted...

lots of Wake students transforming into Wake residents (note the x2 and x3 behind WFUBMC)

I was impressed...

Wake Forest:

Anesthesia:
Univ Washington Affil Hosp
Univ Penn Hlth Sys/Presby
Univ Texas SW Med Sch
Univ Maryland Med Ctr
Univ Tenn Grad SOM
HOI Tucson Hosp Med Ed/ HOII Virginia Mason Med Ctr
HOI Moses H. Cone Mem Hosp/ HOII Brigham & Women’s Hosp
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr x3

Dermatology
HOI Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr/ HOII Thomas Jefferson Univ

Emergency Medicine:
Johns Hopkins Hosp
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown Univ
Thomas Jefferson Univ

Family Medicine:
Martin Army Community Hosp
Mayo Graduate SOM (Scottsdale, AZ)
Moses H. Cone Mem Hosp
Univ Maryland Med Ctr
USAF Regional Hosp

Internal Medicine:

Akron Gen Med/NEOUCOM
Baylor Coll Med
BI-Deaconess Med Ctr
Carolinas Med Ctr
Duke Univ Med Ctr
Emory Univ SOM
Madigan Army Med Ctr
Naval Med Ctr (San Diego) x2
Rush Univ Med Ctr
Stony Brook Teach Hosp
Thomas Jefferson Univ
UC Davis Med Ctr
Univ Colorado SOM
Univ Colorado SOM
Univ Florida Prog-Shands Hosp
VA Commonwealth Univ Hlth Sys

Neurology:
Mayo Graduate SOM (Scottsdale, AZ)
Univ of Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt Univ Med
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr x2

OBGYN
Carolinas Med Ctr
Drexel (MCP Hahnemann)
Hosp of the Univ Of PA
Sparrow Hosp/Michigan State
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr

Orthopaedic Surgery:

Med Coll Georgia
Naval Med Ctr
Univ Utah Affil Hospitals

Otolarngology:
Atlanta Med Ctr
Univ of Virginia

Pathology:
Emory Univ SOM

Pediatrics:
Baylor Coll Med
Carolinas Med Ctr
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr
Medical Univ of SC
Mercer Univ SOM
Naval Med Ctr
UC Davis Med Ctr
UCLA Medical Center x2
Univ Tennessee COM
Univ Florida-Sacred Heart Hosp
Univ Alabama Med Ctr-
Westchester Med Ctr

Psychiatry:

Radiation Oncology
HOI Med Ctr Of Columbus/ HOII Johns Hopkins Hosp
Univ Michigan Hosp

Radiology:
HOI UVM/Fletcher Allen/ HOII Memorial Hlth-Univ Med Ctr
HOI Moses H. Cone Mem Hosp/ HOII UC San Diego Med Ctr
HOI United Hlth Services Hosp/ HOII Rochester Gen Hosp
NCC-Walter Reed Army Med Ctr

Surgery:
Drexel (MCP Hahnemann)
Palmetto Health Richland
Rush Univ Med Ctr
Univ North Carolina Hosp

Urology
Univ Texas SW Med Sch

I count 91, where are the other 15-20?

That looks like this year's list... they emailed it out to the school. If I get real bored I may count and add the rest.

DeaconMD04 said:
That looks like this year's list... they emailed it out to the school. If I get real bored I may count and add the rest.

Thank you sir.

MN81 said:
FYI:

Not sure where this came from (other than it was posted today by Medikit), or what year it is???? But here is the Match List for Wake as posted...

That's from the document the school sent to us this week, if you'd like to get your hands on it and check the list to make sure I got everyone please private message me and I'll e-mail it to you.

Also congratulations to the class of 2010

Hey fellow classmates! Anyone know when our white coat ceremony is? My parents want to book flights down to NC. Thanks :)

The White Coat Ceremony doesn't actually happen until October of 2nd year at Wake. They think once you've had some experience on the wards and start becoming involved with more patient interaction, the concept of the white coat will be more meaningful.

Ardmore is walkable from school and a safe area, where most students and residents live. I highly recommend it over some of the newer apartment complexes 15-20 minutes away.

You'll be hard-pressed to find students who are not extremely happy at Wake Forest SOM. Everyone works hard but the people and professors are fantastic! I withdrew a lot of apps after meeting the students here and seeing how balanced and happy they were to not just be in med school, but med school AT Wake. I could not have made a better decision.

Congrats if you have been accepted and good luck to everyone else!

Cheers,
a member of the Class of 2009

Thanks hopeful! Since we have some current students frequenting the Wake class thread, I was curious if you had any words of advice for those of us who will be joining you in July. Things you wish you had known/done etc. I was told second years will be preparing us a 'survival guide', but thanks for any words of wisdom you can pass along!

When are you all planning on moving?

I have a moving truck rented in my name for July 1st.

Congratulations to all... You will NOT be disappointed by the education you get at Wake. And most importantly, put some effort into it and you will be able to match ANYWHERE. Many of us in the graduating class got one of our top residency picks, and most got their #1!

MN81 said:
When are you all planning on moving?

I have a moving truck rented in my name for July 1st.

Moving around June 20th. Started looking for trucks, looks like it won't be cheap. But heck, I never want to come back to cold midwest :)

Multilocularis said:
Moving around June 20th. Started looking for trucks, looks like it won't be cheap. But heck, I never want to come back to cold midwest :)

I compared UHaul vs. Budget vs. Penske for the best deal.

I was looking for a 16' truck to rent (I want to drive and not ship it with some moving company), and I also needed a trailer to haul my car.

UHaul was going to be ~$1700 from St. Paul to W-S.
Budget ~$1250 (but no trailer for the car)
Penske ~$1100 with trailer and truck.

So yeah, try Penske to save some $$$.

Luck. :luck:

I'm trying to make my last summer of freedom last as long as possible, so I don't plan on moving until about a week before orientation starts as of now, but I'm sure it will also depend on where I decide to live and the lease agreement there.

Do you guys know which Thinkpad are we getting?

Multilocularis said:
Do you guys know which Thinkpad are we getting?

Good question. I want that fingerprint ID one. But I will probably take whatever they want to give me (as long as it works).

JrsyGirl114 said:
I'm trying to make my last summer of freedom last as long as possible, so I don't plan on moving until about a week before orientation starts as of now, but I'm sure it will also depend on where I decide to live and the lease agreement there.

You have big plans for the summer? Travel? Chill? Summer romance? Learn how to play the viola?

MN81 said:
Good question. I want that fingerprint ID one. But I will probably take whatever they want to give me (as long as it works).
Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind :cool: I mean, don't we deserve a little protection for our data for 36k a year? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
BTW, are you thinking of getting PDA right away too, or gonna wait for the free one in 3rd year? I never yet bought a PDA, I wonder if I should go ahead and splurge now, while I still have some income...

Multilocularis said:
Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind :cool: I mean, don't we deserve a little protection for our data for 36k a year? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
BTW, are you thinking of getting PDA right away too, or gonna wait for the free one in 3rd year? I never yet bought a PDA, I wonder if I should go ahead and splurge now, while I still have some income...

My excess income will be burnt in the moving process...

So a PDA is out of the question for me. I think I'll just wait for year 3.

MN81 said:
My excess income will be burnt in the moving process...

So a PDA is out of the question for me. I think I'll just wait for year 3.
I so hear ya. Gees, why does money always get in the way of fun? BTW, any updates on Fin Aid?

Unless you really think yoy need a PDA to keep organized, don't bother for now. You don't need one for school. The online site keeps track of EVERYTHING for you.

Also, sorry to burst the bubble, but the fingerprint access sounds much cooler than it really is. It causes your computer to take forever to startup, and it gets old after a while. The computers are definitely nice though. We have the T43 in case they don't list that somewhere for yall.

I'm really glad they give out the finger ID laptop. Nananananaaaa....

Why won't this waitlist move already!

MN81 said:
You have big plans for the summer? Travel? Chill? Summer romance? Learn how to play the viola?

A little traveling but mostly spending time at home.....but home is the beach so its a pretty good deal :)

Hey Class of 2010 and hopefuls!!!! I am so excited for you guys to come next year. I probably met most of you on the tours you took during your interviews and I look forward to seeing you all in July! Like the previous Wake students said in previous posts, if you have any questions at all, if you need any help or advice or just wanna chat, PM me!! I would love to help out.

I noticed on the first page some talk about apartments. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I live in an apartment complex in West WS called Briarleigh Park Apartments. Really nice, affordable and close to everything. It too is off Country Club Rd. It's only about a 6-7 minute drive to school which I really like b/c then I don't feel like I am "living" at school. With that being said, my fiance and I are going to be renting a house my 3rd year probably in the Ardmore area. I was doing some research and it looks like a 2 bed/2 bath house runs about $700-800 which I think is awesome. But then again, my fiance (or husband by then) will be working. :p Wherever you do live, WS is really affordable. My advice is that if you can (both time and money-wise) come to WS and look at the housing before you settle.

Anyway, I need sleep desperately so I'm off to bed. Again, congrats to everyone and PM me if you have questions. See you soon!

You know what.... I just love everyone at Wake!!!! It is almost as if there is some type of requirement to be an awesomely nice person to go to Wake :thumbup: :thumbup: I can't wait to meet everyone in my class and all you guys who are already there! (I know, it's a bit cheesy, maybe really cheesy, but I had to let it all out of my chest)

Multilocularis said:
You know what.... I just love everyone at Wake!!!! It is almost as if there is some type of requirement to be an awesomely nice person to go to Wake :thumbup: :thumbup: I can't wait to meet everyone in my class and all you guys who are already there! (I know, it's a bit cheesy, maybe really cheesy, but I had to let it all out of my chest)

haha, yes, that is a bit cheesy, but I like it. Great attitude!

jllander said:
Hey Class of 2010 and hopefuls!!!! I am so excited for you guys to come next year. I probably met most of you on the tours you took during your interviews and I look forward to seeing you all in July! Like the previous Wake students said in previous posts, if you have any questions at all, if you need any help or advice or just wanna chat, PM me!! I would love to help out.

I noticed on the first page some talk about apartments. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I live in an apartment complex in West WS called Briarleigh Park Apartments. Really nice, affordable and close to everything. It too is off Country Club Rd. It's only about a 6-7 minute drive to school which I really like b/c then I don't feel like I am "living" at school. With that being said, my fiance and I are going to be renting a house my 3rd year probably in the Ardmore area. I was doing some research and it looks like a 2 bed/2 bath house runs about $700-800 which I think is awesome. But then again, my fiance (or husband by then) will be working. :p Wherever you do live, WS is really affordable. My advice is that if you can (both time and money-wise) come to WS and look at the housing before you settle.

Anyway, I need sleep desperately so I'm off to bed. Again, congrats to everyone and PM me if you have questions. See you soon!

I think we both know my place is cooler than your place ;)

Wasn't this past your bedtime? (Shouldn't you have been studying neuro?)