Wake Forest Residency Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WiltsOnStilts

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I loved my wake forest interview a couple weeks back and was hoping for any former or current residents to offer their thoughts on the program and their experience.

Did you feel the program lacked anything? Did you feel supported throughout your training and assisted for post grad placement (pp vs fellowship vs academics)?

I know there are a billion similar threads out there but was hoping for some more recent commentary. Thanks to anyone who is able to respond!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in the last 5 years so have relatively recent experience with the place. I have had jobs in both private practice and academics since graduating and have found my experience at Wake prepared me very well for both environments. I also did a fellowship upon graduating and was told by numerous staff at my fellowship that they were going to look for more Wake people based on how prepared I was upon entering fellowship. They are an extremely well rounded program where you will be well trained and well treated. Dr Reynolds, the PD, is a straight shooter and prioritizes education.
Downsides? Don’t go there if you’re looking for a crazy nightlife experience- Winston doesn’t have it. They don’t do liver transplants either so if you want those to be a big part of your practice upon graduation I would look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Current CA-1 at Wake.

I love my program; very supportive environment. I know I'll be prepared for everything after graduation.

DM me if you'd like to talk further about the program.

patriot

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to retract if I’m mistaken, but isn’t this the program where a faculty member was made to apologize because CRNAs were offended she signed the safe care VA petition?

Last edited:
No that was UNC and it's easily searchable on the internet.

Would be residents, fellows and attendings: Take Note.

Same would occur at every residency that I have any semblance of familiarity with (truthfully not that many). The letter writer could’ve made a point without using some of the language used, which resulted in the university needing to write letters of apology to nursing associations. We can all bemoan this, but the simple fact is that it’s really not acceptable for physicians to insult nurses, even when they’re seeking independent practice. Not that I’m not making judgement one way or the other, just stating things the way they seem to be.

As for Wake as a residency program, it seems like a perfectly fine place. I’ve worked with a few of their graduates, and they’re very well trained.

Same would occur at every residency that I have any semblance of familiarity with (truthfully not that many). The letter writer could’ve made a point without using some of the language used, which resulted in the university needing to write letters of apology to nursing associations. We can all bemoan this, but the simple fact is that it’s really not acceptable for physicians to insult nurses, even when they’re seeking independent practice. Not that I’m not making judgement one way or the other, just stating things the way they seem to be.

As for Wake as a residency program, it seems like a perfectly fine place. I’ve worked with a few of their graduates, and they’re very well trained.

Didn't read the letter till just now. You are right. The letter was coarse and insulting and should have been disavowed.

Interviewed there last year. Seemed like a strong program with emphasis on education and mastery of airway management. Nice people. Excellent PD.
The real question is:
does Winston-Salem fit what you're looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Most of all Wake Forest is filled with great people who care about residents first and foremost. Clinically I felt like I was prepared very well for anything that comes up In my large city semi-academic private practice gig. I ACGME logged over 10,000 procedures (intubations, a-lines, etc mostly), over 250 epidurals (counting over 50 thoracic) and over 280 peripheral nerve blocks. I really enjoyed working with the CRNAs there as well (you 'supervise' as a CA-3 while on call overnight with 2 CRNAs and 2 residents). I felt like I was a fairly competitive applicant and could have gone to several great programs, but I am really grateful to have chosen Wake Forest.

Reactions: 1 users