Wake Forest (WFUSM) Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, lets hear it for the number 1 school in the country!!! In all likelihood, this is where I will be next year! Anyone else out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that many more good people get accepted for the class of 2013. Wake Forest is a really good place to go to med school. I'm a 1st year and I'd be glad to answer any questions that aceptees may have in deciding whether or not to come to Wake. I know this is a tough decision, and the more information that you get before you make your decision, the better!

Hi....

So, I interviewed at Wake Forest, loved it, and was just placed on the "Alternate List." Though it says that it is a favorable standing, I'm still kind of bummed out...

What are my chances of getting in after getting this? Is there anything I should do? Send in an update letter or something like that? I'm from California, and it's the only school back east that I've LOVED!...

Let me know!

Thanks...

Steve

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the wait-list email today. Not a shocker, exactly, but dissappointing nonetheless. The letter said that 30-50% of the class comes from the alternate list, but that means nothing if the alternate list has 3000 people on it! Does anyone know anything about the size of the wait list and how much movement there is on it (and when)?

I got the wait-list email today. Not a shocker, exactly, but dissappointing nonetheless. The letter said that 30-50% of the class comes from the alternate list, but that means nothing if the alternate list has 3000 people on it! Does anyone know anything about the size of the wait list and how much movement there is on it (and when)?

I think the info is on their website. But they interview like 500 or so people and accept around half to fill the class. So you have a decent chance. I am interviewing there in November. And really looking forward to it, love that part of the country.

Last edited:
Hello possible classmates...:D I am so happy. I fell in love with Wake when I visited.

does anyone know how they do their grading system at Wake? I interview there tomorrow but couldn't find info on that on their website.

does anyone know how they do their grading system at Wake? I interview there tomorrow but couldn't find info on that on their website.

I am pretty sure it is "High Pass", "Pass", "Fail". It may have another designation too. It looks like if you make a certain percentage in a class you get high pass. Someone who goes there might be able to help out more. Good Luck Tomorrow.

I hope that many more good people get accepted for the class of 2013. Wake Forest is a really good place to go to med school. I'm a 1st year and I'd be glad to answer any questions that aceptees may have in deciding whether or not to come to Wake. I know this is a tough decision, and the more information that you get before you make your decision, the better!

I interview at Wake on Friday, and I just want to know any details that you do or don't like about it - I'm particularly interested in their curriculum - I can get the basic ideology behind it from the website, but in terms of day-to-day stuff and how efficiently you learn from it, what do you think?

I actually live here in Winston-Salem and volunteer at Baptist hospital, which is nice, but I'm new to the area, so I don't really know any students at the med school. So any input you could provide would be much appreciated.

Secondly, for those of you who have heard something back from them, how long post-interview did it take you to get a response?

And congrats to everyone who's been accepted (or even placed on the alternates list - that's a pretty decent sign as far as I understand it).

Let me see if I can help. As aintlifegrand said before, our grading system is basically "honors"/"pass"/"fail". As long as you pass the block you wouldn't necessarily have to repeat it, even if you had a less-than-passing score on a single test. Honors is given to those who score over 94% in the block, but upperclassmen tell us that they usually give honors to the top 15% of the class. I don't know if this is true yet or not, us first years have our first final exam this Thursday.

As far as the curriculum itself goes, I can only speak for the Human Structure and Development block which the class of 2012 is now about to complete. In my experience, the curriculum has been very clear, very user-friendly, and very accessible. We have our eWake online curriculum which is basically our daily schedule, showing us what classes we have on a given day. You can click on an individual class and download notes, powerpoints, and other resources, including (after lectures have occurred) you can download the audio files of your lectures. This setup really helps with the day-to-day studying, but it is even better when you go back to review for a final exam, and you have 1 place to go for all the learning resources you can handle! It really is great. Let me know if that doesnt answer your question!

Let me see if I can help. As aintlifegrand said before, our grading system is basically "honors"/"pass"/"fail". As long as you pass the block you wouldn't necessarily have to repeat it, even if you had a less-than-passing score on a single test. Honors is given to those who score over 94% in the block, but upperclassmen tell us that they usually give honors to the top 15% of the class. I don't know if this is true yet or not, us first years have our first final exam this Thursday.

As far as the curriculum itself goes, I can only speak for the Human Structure and Development block which the class of 2012 is now about to complete. In my experience, the curriculum has been very clear, very user-friendly, and very accessible. We have our eWake online curriculum which is basically our daily schedule, showing us what classes we have on a given day. You can click on an individual class and download notes, powerpoints, and other resources, including (after lectures have occurred) you can download the audio files of your lectures. This setup really helps with the day-to-day studying, but it is even better when you go back to review for a final exam, and you have 1 place to go for all the learning resources you can handle! It really is great. Let me know if that doesnt answer your question!

That's great, thanks. I really like the sound of that - one-stop studying is right up my alley (it means I'm more likely to actually do it). The only other curriculum-based question I have has to do with problem-based learning. The website emphasizes it, but doesn't give a clear indication of how much of your classtime is PBL and how much is more conventional - do you like it, do you even notice much of a difference between the two, and do you think it's effective? Was it hard to adjust to at first?

Sorry about all the questions - obviously you shouldn't feel obligated to answer them. Thanks a bunch.

Oh - and any advice for the interview?

Yeah...well its more than possible. The only way I probably won't be going here is if they withdraw the acceptance. Anybody know when they send out the acceptance packages? I thought it would be in the spring, but I heard some schools are sending them out now. Did I mention how much I loved this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great, thanks. I really like the sound of that - one-stop studying is right up my alley (it means I'm more likely to actually do it). The only other curriculum-based question I have has to do with problem-based learning. The website emphasizes it, but doesn't give a clear indication of how much of your classtime is PBL and how much is more conventional - do you like it, do you even notice much of a difference between the two, and do you think it's effective? Was it hard to adjust to at first?

Sorry about all the questions - obviously you shouldn't feel obligated to answer them. Thanks a bunch.

Oh - and any advice for the interview?

From what I have observed, at all schools, there are mixed feelings about problem based learning. Some feel that it is a waste of time, and that that time could be better spent doing other things. My opinion is that it does have some merit and value. It is true that you dedicate (for MSI's at Wake) 2 hours on Monday, and 2 hours on Friday to small group case work. In addition, you must spend some time during the week researching Monday's case so that you'll be prepared for Friday. However, I see that there are at least 2 benefits to our CCL (case-centered learning). First, you do gain knowledge of clinical scenarios that you would not otherwise learn about at this point in your medical education. Second, and perhaps more importantly, you CCL helps you to begin to train your brain to organize the information that you'll need as a physician to come up with a differential diagnosis for your patient. Even in our first block here at Wake, I have seen great improvement in myself and my group members in our ability to extract relevant information from a clinical scenario and begin to integrate this information into a clinical plan and diagnosis. In short, CCL has benefits and drawbacks. In the end, what you get out of CCL will really depend on what you put into it.

For the interviews, just be genuine and relaxed. In my experience, Wake's interviews are highly relaxed compared to other schools. Best of luck!

From what I have observed, at all schools, there are mixed feelings about problem based learning. Some feel that it is a waste of time, and that that time could be better spent doing other things. My opinion is that it does have some merit and value. It is true that you dedicate (for MSI's at Wake) 2 hours on Monday, and 2 hours on Friday to small group case work. In addition, you must spend some time during the week researching Monday's case so that you'll be prepared for Friday. However, I see that there are at least 2 benefits to our CCL (case-centered learning). First, you do gain knowledge of clinical scenarios that you would not otherwise learn about at this point in your medical education. Second, and perhaps more importantly, you CCL helps you to begin to train your brain to organize the information that you'll need as a physician to come up with a differential diagnosis for your patient. Even in our first block here at Wake, I have seen great improvement in myself and my group members in our ability to extract relevant information from a clinical scenario and begin to integrate this information into a clinical plan and diagnosis. In short, CCL has benefits and drawbacks. In the end, what you get out of CCL will really depend on what you put into it.

For the interviews, just be genuine and relaxed. In my experience, Wake's interviews are highly relaxed compared to other schools. Best of luck!

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate all the info.

At what times do students usually get out of class? I know they gave us the schedule, but IMO, its a bit confusing if you don't know the inside workings of their system.

At what times do students usually get out of class? I know they gave us the schedule, but IMO, its a bit confusing if you don't know the inside workings of their system.

I hear you. I remember thinking the same thing after interviewing at Wake. Part of this is attributed to the fact that there are so many acronyms on the schedule; but in all honestly it is a great, organized system. To answer the question, the time that students get out of class depends entirely on the particular block that they are in. For instance, I just finished my anatomy (human structure & development) block. In this first block of med school, you are very busy. Anatomy labs start promptly at 8am, and continue for [usually] 3 hours, then lecture begins at 11 and continues to 12 noon [lunch]. Depending on the afternoon, you may or may not have classes (radiology labs, histology labs, CCL, doctor-patient relations, physical exam). Usually, Mondays and Fridays are very busy in this first block, and you dont finish at school until 5pm. However, Tuesday-Wed., you may finish as early as noon. Thursday is typically open, except for Becoming a Physician class in the morning.

I cant comment much about second year schedules, but now that anatomy is over, first years get quite a bit of time back. We have new classes, but without the time-consuming labs, we should get more of a life! We have much more in terms of lectures, but no labs, and no returning to the labs at night will really make life easier! Hope this helps, as always let me know if it doesnt.

I hear you. I remember thinking the same thing after interviewing at Wake. Part of this is attributed to the fact that there are so many acronyms on the schedule; but in all honestly it is a great, organized system. To answer the question, the time that students get out of class depends entirely on the particular block that they are in. For instance, I just finished my anatomy (human structure & development) block. In this first block of med school, you are very busy. Anatomy labs start promptly at 8am, and continue for [usually] 3 hours, then lecture begins at 11 and continues to 12 noon [lunch]. Depending on the afternoon, you may or may not have classes (radiology labs, histology labs, CCL, doctor-patient relations, physical exam). Usually, Mondays and Fridays are very busy in this first block, and you dont finish at school until 5pm. However, Tuesday-Wed., you may finish as early as noon. Thursday is typically open, except for Becoming a Physician class in the morning.

I cant comment much about second year schedules, but now that anatomy is over, first years get quite a bit of time back. We have new classes, but without the time-consuming labs, we should get more of a life! We have much more in terms of lectures, but no labs, and no returning to the labs at night will really make life easier! Hope this helps, as always let me know if it doesnt.
Thank yoU!

I don't know what year you are, but maybe you can answer this question. What does the third and fourth year schedules look like. I've heard at most schools 3rd year is very hard and fourth year is more laid back with less time at the hospitals than third year. Is this true here too?

I don't know what year you are, but maybe you can answer this question. What does the third and fourth year schedules look like. I've heard at most schools 3rd year is very hard and fourth year is more laid back with less time at the hospitals than third year. Is this true here too?

I believe that this is the case at most (all) medical schools. Third year begins (I think) in April or May once USMLE step 1 is over (yes, we take step 1 a bit earlier than most schools, and yes we do quite well). Third year, like at most schools, is full of required rotations in medical specialties. Some rotations are several months (i.e. internal medicine) and others are shorter lasting only about a month or so. In your 4th year, you do have a schedule which is not as busy, and you get to pick many of your elective rotations. I believe that these elective rotations last for only 1 month. 4th year is unique in that this is the time that you will be applying and interviewing across the country for residency programs. So this, in addition to a perhaps more pleasing set of rotations makes 4th year less intense at most schools including Wake. Hope this helps!

This is kind of surreal, finally moving over to the Allopathic forum, instead of the pre-Allopathic one. :D

Wake Forest is just great. I haven't finalized it, but I feel like this may be where I go. Thumbs up for being in the same class and school as Chubby, :D.

This is kind of surreal, finally moving over to the Allopathic forum, instead of the pre-Allopathic one. :D

Wake Forest is just great. I haven't finalized it, but I feel like this may be where I go. Thumbs up for being in the same class and school as Chubby, :D.
:D, woot woot!

Hey everybody! I am so glad to see a new Wake Forest class thread. I read through your previous posts and noticed some of you had questions for 3rd and 4th year students. I am a fourth year and since I've got nothin but free time, I would love to answer any questions you have. Congrats to everybody! WFU is a great school! You're gonna love it.

Jlander-so do you feel like Wake has prepared you adequately for your future residency and for your boards?? Any real weaknesses or things you think they could improve on???

THANKS!

btw...when should we start worrying about Financial aid stuff?

Hey everyone! In response to the above question, I feel like Wake more than prepares you for boards and residency. For Step 1, there were some weaknesses (pharmacology and microbiology) in the curriculum, which we brought up with the administration. From what I understand, they have changed it for years following me. But for Step 1, we had 6-7 weeks to study (which is a lot compared with other schools) so we had plenty of time to study. Clinically, Wake is a very strong program and does an excellent job preparing us for third year, Step 2 and residency. I had absolutley no problems with Step 2, especially CS. But CK was easily done as well, as long as you studied hard during third year.

One interesting thing about Wake, is that during the last 6 weeks of your fourth year, you do something called Phase V (the name may be changing but the course won't be). They give you two weeks vacation to plan your move for residency, then have 3 weeks of didactic lectures and skills workshops, followed by 1 week of vacation before graduation. The lectures and workshops are chosen by us, the students, and tailored to what we want to know before we start residency. Some are general topics: ventilator management, how to declare someone dead, pain medications, central lines, etc. etc. But others are specialty-specific. So the people going into peds may want to have a general talk about peds fever, people going into surgery may want a suture clinic, etc. They also have another ACLS course, which will come in handy for residency. It is a great way to review the nuts and bolts so we feel more comfortable come July 1.

As I make my way through residency interviews, and talking with students from around the country, I am confident in my knowledge and preparation. There is always doubt, b/c it's such a huge responsibility and privilege being a doctor, but I feel like I am on par with my peers both at Wake and across the country.

There are always things that schools can improve on. If they won't admit to anything, then they aren't trying to achieve excellence, so make sure to ask about changes happening in the school. At Wake specifically, since you all are coming in July, they are truly dedicated to making your experience the best it can be and making great doctors. I mentioned above the pharm and micro during the first two years. You'd have to ask students in 2011 and 2012 if those classes have been changed. But there were some things like the problem-based learning course that were changed at our request. During 3rd year, the clerkship directors were always open to suggestions and would often change things around for us. Clincally, I don't think Wake has a lot of weakness. We have all specialties and subspecialties in house, which means you get access to it all. The only downside is obstetrics, which is at Forsyth (no babies are born at Wake unless its emergent) and I've not been incredibly impressed with it. But I did an acting internship over there this year and worked with some 3rd years on ob/gyn and they were telling me all this stuff they had changed since I did it. So like I said before, if there are weaknesses, Wake is really receptive to feedback.

As for financial aid....eek! NO worries though, Wake is pretty clear when it comes to that. They will send out info packets about it a litttle closer to the date. However, as a general guideline, in February is when you are first able to do your taxes (you get W-2's in January). At that same time is when you fill out the FAFSA (do your taxes first, it makes the FAFSA that much easier). So if you feel the need to worry, start after the new year. :p
But seriously, here's a link to their website and you can always call them. http://www1.wfubmc.edu/School/tuition.htm

As always, no questions are off limits! Feel free to ask! Later!

So what did they change about the problem based learning and what is its current goal and structure? I thought this would be interesting and fun, but I see a lot of med students complaining about this, not at wake specifically, but all around. I've heard that it's tedious, time consuming, and its a useless pain.

Good morning! So let me clarify my comments about PBL, especially in reference to the way Wake does it. During your first year, the PBL class is awesome for a couple of reasons. It allows you to get out of the lecture hall and interact with others. You have a lot of lectures and after a while, those get boring, so its important to switch up how things are taught. But I think the most important reason why its a good course first year is that it teaches you to think critically and start to think clinically. Coming up with a differential diagnosis is not intuitive. Hearing a patient's case and trying to weed out the extraneous stuff from the signs and symptoms that are important is a skill that is learned by doing, not by teaching. So PBL first year is a great place to get your feet wet and start learning this stuff. My class had no problem with that course at all.

But we did have issues with the PBL-type course second year. They had started it the year before, and changed it up before we took it. But we made them change it numerous times throughout the year as well. It wasn't the fact that it was PBL, we had issues with the format, which from what I've heard from current second years, is much much better. The difference between the course first year and the one second year, is that the first year course is truly small group - 7-8 people and one proctor. During second year, you are in a small group, but sitting in a large room with the rest of the small groups and all of you interact with a proctor. Its sort of hard to explain it without actually seeing how it works.

Overall though, PBL can be good or bad, depending on how your school utilizes it. Wake uses it to teach you how to make differential diagnoses and think clinically, a skill you may not have learned until you were a brand new third year. So its a great thing in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Good morning! So let me clarify my comments about PBL, especially in reference to the way Wake does it. During your first year, the PBL class is awesome for a couple of reasons. It allows you to get out of the lecture hall and interact with others. You have a lot of lectures and after a while, those get boring, so its important to switch up how things are taught. But I think the most important reason why its a good course first year is that it teaches you to think critically and start to think clinically. Coming up with a differential diagnosis is not intuitive. Hearing a patient's case and trying to weed out the extraneous stuff from the signs and symptoms that are important is a skill that is learned by doing, not by teaching. So PBL first year is a great place to get your feet wet and start learning this stuff. My class had no problem with that course at all.

But we did have issues with the PBL-type course second year. They had started it the year before, and changed it up before we took it. But we made them change it numerous times throughout the year as well. It wasn't the fact that it was PBL, we had issues with the format, which from what I've heard from current second years, is much much better. The difference between the course first year and the one second year, is that the first year course is truly small group - 7-8 people and one proctor. During second year, you are in a small group, but sitting in a large room with the rest of the small groups and all of you interact with a proctor. Its sort of hard to explain it without actually seeing how it works.

Overall though, PBL can be good or bad, depending on how your school utilizes it. Wake uses it to teach you how to make differential diagnoses and think clinically, a skill you may not have learned until you were a brand new third year. So its a great thing in my opinion. Hope this helps!

I agree completely. As a first year at Wake, I concur that it is very nice to have learning time outside the lecture hall, and it is enjoyable to practice your clinical reasoning skills. I know that there are a lot of opinions about the PBL format, but in my observations, the majority of the students in my class both enjoy (or are indifferent), and benefit greatly from it. I can't comment on the format of the PBL for second years, but for first years it the PBL curriculum is quite good.

jllander also highlighted an important point, that Wake's administration is VERY open to student input for suggestions. From what I have understood, some schools are VERY resistant to change. Wake couldnt be more different in that regard. They take our input very seriously and enact changes in things that don't work well, and they really do a lot if there is a perceived problem in your class. Not bad :):thumbup:!

I wont hear from Wake for another week or so but i would LOVE to go there.

For the current students:
Do either of you mind posting in your opinion what the actual yearly cost of attending wake is? I know they budget just under 60K, but roughly, what were you able to live off of? 45K/yr? 50? Just looking for a more realistic idea of cost. Thanks for all of the great info so far :thumbup:

Last edited:
I wont hear from Wake for another week or so but i would LOVE to go here.

For the current students:
Do either of you mind posting in your opinion what the actual yearly cost of attending wake is? I know they budget just under 60K, but roughly, what were you able to live off of? 45K/yr? 50? Just looking for a more realistic idea of cost. Thanks for all of the great info so far :thumbup:

Hey, my guess is that my totals come out to about 50K each year, maybe a little more. 60K is a little high I think. <shrug> just depends on how you choose to live.

Hey, my guess is that my totals come out to about 50K each year, maybe a little more. 60K is a little high I think. <shrug> just depends on how you choose to live.

I agree. Probably between 50-55K depending on lifestyle (and unexpected car repairs :rolleyes:).

So I'll most likely be at Wake next year too.

For those already there--where do most students live? Are there any apartments/houses close to the med school?

Happy New Year! Students at Wake live all over the place. A bunch of us live right near the hospital in the historic district of Ardmore. Some rent houses, some buy. Others have bought condos out from school maybe 5 miles. Lots of people rent apartments. It's a really good mix but its all really affordable. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Later!

So I'll most likely be at Wake next year too.

For those already there--where do most students live? Are there any apartments/houses close to the med school?

Happy New Year! Students at Wake live all over the place. A bunch of us live right near the hospital in the historic district of Ardmore. Some rent houses, some buy. Others have bought condos out from school maybe 5 miles. Lots of people rent apartments. It's a really good mix but its all really affordable. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Later!

jllander makes a good point. Compared to lots of other places, Winston-Salem is a very affordable place to find housing within walking/short driving distance of the hospital. A lot of students rent homes together (in the Ardmore neighborhood) to save some $.

Bump... So who is planning on going to Wake? This thread is absolutely dead, are people just not sure if they are going to go to Wake or has Wake just not admitted a very large portion of its class yet?

jllander makes a good point. Compared to lots of other places, Winston-Salem is a very affordable place to find housing within walking/short driving distance of the hospital. A lot of students rent homes together (in the Ardmore neighborhood) to save some $.

If I am looking to buy a house in a neighborhood within walking/biking/or 5 minute driving distance of the school, which neighborhoods would you recommend? I'm preferably looking for a more family friendly neighborhood since I'm older and I'd be moving my family with me. Any names of areas would be appreciated just so I have an easier time searching for real estate. Thanks.

If I am looking to buy a house in a neighborhood within walking/biking/or 5 minute driving distance of the school, which neighborhoods would you recommend? I'm preferably looking for a more family friendly neighborhood since I'm older and I'd be moving my family with me. Any names of areas would be appreciated just so I have an easier time searching for real estate. Thanks.

Ardmore. That is the neighborhood you are looking for. Good luck!

Bump... So who is planning on going to Wake? This thread is absolutely dead, are people just not sure if they are going to go to Wake or has Wake just not admitted a very large portion of its class yet?

I'll probably end up at wake if I am accepted off the alternate list! :cool:

so when are people who are attending Wake going to start getting housing etc...i know orientation starts at the end of July...so June-ish to start looking?

so when are people who are attending Wake going to start getting housing etc...i know orientation starts at the end of July...so June-ish to start looking?

If you want to buy, definitely start earlier -- I started looking for houses in late June and wound up nearly tearing my hair out. It's not that finding something is difficult, but when you start school, you hit the ground running. You definitely don't want to be unpacking during orientation; you want to be hanging out with your fellow classmates and us (MS2012)!

I would aim for a move in date of 13 July. That will give you two full weeks to explore Winston, unpack, and get yourself settled, and a weekend to go on the camping trip.

That's at least what I wish I did.

Just got accepted to Wake! And seeing as I already live in Winston-Salem, there's a good chance this is where I'll wind up. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple other places, and I won't make any decisions until financial aid packages come in, but I'm excited for Wake nonetheless.

Just got accepted to Wake! And seeing as I already live in Winston-Salem, there's a good chance this is where I'll wind up. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple other places, and I won't make any decisions until financial aid packages come in, but I'm excited for Wake nonetheless.

Congrats! I love it here; it is a great place to go to school!

If you want to buy, definitely start earlier -- I started looking for houses in late June and wound up nearly tearing my hair out. It's not that finding something is difficult, but when you start school, you hit the ground running. You definitely don't want to be unpacking during orientation; you want to be hanging out with your fellow classmates and us (MS2012)!

I would aim for a move in date of 13 July. That will give you two full weeks to explore Winston, unpack, and get yourself settled, and a weekend to go on the camping trip.

That's at least what I wish I did.

A lot of houses sell May/June time frame as residents show up to start training. So you will find the most houses to choose from in the spring.

We started looking in March (online) at houses. Made a trip out here in April to narrow down our search and ended up closing on the house right at the start of July. It worked out perfect.

Anybody have cheaper health insurance that is not through the school? Does anyone know what all is covered by the school's health insurance plan? Info would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody have cheaper health insurance that is not through the school? Does anyone know what all is covered by the school's health insurance plan? Info would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you're not from NC, so check out www.bcbsnc.com. Everyone that buys their own insurance in NC has it and it's pretty cheap if you don't have severe pre-existing conditions. Go to the website and fill-out a quote application to see what your cost will be for the different plans offered. I've had them for 2 years now and I haven't had a single problem with them.

Personally, I think it stinks. It's not the school's fault -- most school supplied health insurance policies are pretty bad, in my experience. United Healthcare just tried to weasel out of paying for a lot of stuff! However the dental is pretty good: go where ever you like! Just so you know, the school policy's price is set, and you can't get any more money than United Healthcare charges for health insurance, so make sure whatever individual policy you find is below that.

I would recommend BCBSNC based on what I heard. If my husband isn't living up here next year, I may switch to them.