Wal mart cuts next week? you too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2. Mandatory counseling on all new rxs: I have gone to CVS, Kroger, Publix and Kaiser to get my family members' prescriptions filled and there was a grand total of one time where I was offered counseling by a pharmacist!

Kaiser and UC Davis cheat mandatory counseling, too. Wonder why the California State BOP doesn't go after them harder as it is easier for inspectors to blend in compared to Walmart.

Not saving DUR codes or overrides is ****ing ******ed too. Pharmacists probably never see a DUR at CVS if they don't have to as techs touch all of them, include code 1 restrictions for GD Medi-Cal, which by the way WM got fined for in California

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any experience with WAG but I did my rotation at busy CVS. WM certainly provides more staffing in comparison to CVS. But there are certain issues that only WM people have to deal with.

1. Opioid stewardship: We are required to verify if any narcotic is written for acute or chronic pain if it exceeds 7 day supply or 50 MME and if patient doesn't take it every month. This has severe implication on the workflow. Pharmacists spend significant amount of time reviewing pt history or calling doctor's office to verify this information. On top of that, we are also required to offer mandatory narcan counseling on high risk patients (> 50 MME dosage or Opioid + benzo combo etc.).

We are required to document these conversations otherwise there is a risk of getting written up or even terminated if you don't. Our DM would come and check the notes. At CVS, I dropped off my grandma's Tramadol prescription for 120 tabs and no questions were asked.

2. Mandatory counseling on all new rxs: I have gone to CVS, Kroger, Publix and Kaiser to get my family members' prescriptions filled and there was a grand total of one time where I was offered counseling by a pharmacist!

3. Inefficient system: Connexus has way too many checks and balances. For example there are look alike sound alike drugs that would automatically go into trouble and you will have to check the rx image and enter the PA666 code 10 times to fill the prescriptions (keep entering the code every time insurence gets applied instead of just doing it once). Also, if someone brings narcotic prescription for the first time, it will go into trouble and prompt you to either dispense 7 day supply or enter codes for override.

4. Strict compliance: My buddy used to work at Walgreens that did hundreds of shots and he used to tell me that vast majority of the times, they never reported the immunizations to state registry. Patient would fill out those forms and they would just put them inside the cabinet. At WM reporting is not only mandatory, pharmacists are required to make sure that not even a box is missing from the IMZ form that pt fills out. Otherwise you can get written up for it.

I am sure there are other things that I missed but the bottom line is with the expectations that are set up and the way Connexus is designed, they have no choice but to allocate more staffing in comparison to competitors. At CVS, the main focus is on filling prescriptions and immunizations. At WM, filling prescriptions and vaccine is only a part of of the responsibility. Providing clinical service (Opioid stewarsdship and promoting diabetic/ cholesterol adeherence) and maintaining strict compliance is just as important. WM can easily function with less hours but in that case company will have to let lot of the above things go.

Having said that, I would still choose WM over CVS any day.

Literally all of this has to be performed at Wag.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is from 5 years ago so things are probably different now.

On a related note, other pharmacies are quite relaxed when it comes to compliance. They don’t mind just paying off the fine when getting caught (CVS fined for Medicare fraud/ WAG fined for not breaking insulin pens etc.).

All this doesn’t fly at WM.

Walgreens breaks open boxes of insulin

This might be dependent on market but we also have to deep-dive into input accuracy every week and write people up for not improving (minimum competency is 95%, goal 98% for everyone), have to fix all "unknown reasons" for cycle counts due to fake paper shrink (have to fix the cycle counts and then put an actual reason for the cycle counts), do nag calls (similar to PCQ), get harassed by customers who want their analgesics locked up in the OTC section NAO even though there's an HBA associate whose job description literally includes opening the cases

Your post made me curious so I wandered slowly past my local super center WM pharmacy on Tuesday. OMG it looked crazy!

Appeared to be 1 pharmacist and 3 techs. Pharmacist was verifying and looked like it was a problem, 1 tech filling, 2 techs trying to get customers at the counter gone. Maybe I just lurked at a bad time? There was a herd of customers and it was just after noon. They don't have a drive thru so only foot traffic.

WM peeps, what is your backup? Do any non-pharm employees have tech licenses to pop in - like a low level manager or something?

Yep, thats the new standard for wal mart. single coverage. (unless your store does massive volume or insane profit) , My store in transitioning to this right now. im so excited!

Small city/rural PNW. But somehow the odds turned in my favor. A staff rph position opened up near me and there might be a PIC position soon. The staff position is at a SC doing 3k/wk and the PIC is at a NHM doing <1k/wk.

If it comes around that PIC position sounds good. My only worry is WM will eventually shut all the NHM pharmacies.

I’m thankful to have something and my apps are out there so if something better than WM comes along I’ll dip.
^I’d honestly take it as a chance to dip from WM

I’m dipping. I got an offer for a hospital rph. Bye WM.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m dipping. I got an offer for a hospital rph. Bye WM.
I've noticed all of the sudden we have a bunch of job openings left by pharmacists leaving in my market after years of almost no turnover. I guess people have had enough. I think more are plotting their departure.