Walgreens, CVS, and Kroger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clachan3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All ;) Do you have any idea how it is like being a pharmacist at Walgreens, CVS, or Kroger?

I believe Walgreens is hourly based, and it will be around $50/hour the recruiter said. I do not know how many hours walgreens pharmacists work per week though. Please let me know if you do. I saw their computer system, it is great. I have talked with the people from their central office, they sounded like they will not let us negotiate with them for anything. :smuggrin:

CVS is offering salary $101,900. I have heard CVS is kind of unorganized in some stores. How bad is it? :confused:

Kroger pays just a few thousand dollars less than CVS, but I have seen pharmacist working alone over the weekend. I would really like to have some help from technician if possible. :love:

Which job will you take? Oh yes, does any of them offer new grads review courses for NAPLEX? I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks guys :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I work at Walgreens as a tech..well soon i'll be pharmacist intern...

I can tell u the pharmacist schedule.

Week 1: Monday-Friday (8 AM to 4 PM)...and u will have one day off anytime b/w M-F.
This will be your weekend off...

Week 2: Monday-Friday (2 PM to 10 PM)...again u will have one day off that week
*******Saturday (9 AM to 7 PM)
*******Sunday (10 AM to 6 PM)

hours including the weekend = 50 hours/week
hours NOT including the weekend = 32 hours/week....

So u'll be working every other weekend. And u switch the morning/afternoon shift with other staff pharmacist.

Hope this helps. Sorry I don't know about CVS or kroger.

I work at Kroger. Their RPhs are salaried and work 12 hour days. The individual pharmacists work out their own schedules - one store they might work every other day, at my store they work two on, two off with every other weekend (Fri-Sun) off. At my store techs are there from open to close on weekdays but only until 2 or 3 on weekends.

The only thing I have heard my pharmacists complain about is that they have to request all their PTO for the entire year by mid-January :thumbdown: In our district at least, the DMs are pretty hands-off and no one bothers us much. Kroger does do the stupid gift card promotions and price matching and that blows, but overall I really like working there and would consider Kroger if I weren't moving to a state without any stores. Both of the RPhs are former Wal-mart employees and they both loooooooooooooove their current job in comparison! Kroger uses PDX which isn't the greatest, but once you learn it, it's fine. Our store is pretty low volume so it's not an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
My offer from Walgreens, which I will be signing, is $36.94/hour as a graduate intern. They have a NAPLEX review program and I can take the class one time. I must sit for my boards within 90 days of graduation. Upon passing the boards, my salary is $3940 for 80 hours ($102,440). I'm going to be a floater, so I can check out all the stores in my district. The also had a 3-year committment with a signing bonus of $15,000, which I did not take.

My offer from Walgreens, which I will be signing, is $36.94/hour as a graduate intern. They have a NAPLEX review program and I can take the class one time. I must sit for my boards within 90 days of graduation. Upon passing the boards, my salary is $3940 for 80 hours ($102,440). I'm going to be a floater, so I can check out all the stores in my district. The also had a 3-year committment with a signing bonus of $15,000, which I did not take.

It still makes me smile when I see numbers like that. Is $102,440 average for retail? What does hospital pay these days?

Luckily, they are paying us just a little more. The wags offer here is $4100/payperiod or $106,600. (I get to go out for one more steak dinner a week than you do in florida :smuggrin: ) Other than that, the offer is the same (class, bonus, sit w/in 90 day) I take that back. The grad intern rate here is only $30/hr. I will be signing it also. THe class is a great feature as I don't worry about studying for the boards now. My friends who have taken it said it prepped them all for what they needed to know. (we get paid our intern rate for attending the class also, which is a nice touch). The law prep course is great also from what I hear. They tell me the guy teaching ours was involved in writing the test.

After being on rotation in other retail stores (Kroger, Target, Safeway, Walmart) I can't imagine working for another company. And those that are afraid of the volume don't realize that it is easier to do 300 scripts at wags than 100 at the local grocery store. Superior technology does make your job much easier. I also like that I get to talk to many people each shift about OTC questions simply because so many more walk through the doors. My preceptor at one of the above mentioned companies hyped the rotation as a great place to get to know your OTC's because of all the counseling opportunities. I get more in one shift at Wags than a week at a grocery store. And since I like talking to people about that stuff, it works out great for me.

I have no idea what hospital pay is like as I have no desire to ever step foot in one.

I just finished my last day at Walgreens yesterday. It was sad, but had to happen. Stores are great to work in, and we were either 1st or 2nd busiest in district (600-700/day). But the technology and staffing make it easy. Plus it's only an 8 hour shift!!! You get to be able to do stuff after work lets out. My problem was that it was a 2 hour drive daily, because there were no openings where I live. My DM was honest and told me upfront and so I said ok. Was leaving Target (DM probs, not w/ company). However, I started in late Feb 06, and it still looks to be about another 12-14 mths before I can get back home. No mileage, or pay for the 2 hours drive. They didn't have to b/c pharmacist like Walgreens. Got tired of driving so said screw it. I'm young (2 years out Pharmacy School). Going to Harris Teeter Grocery. If I regret it, I'll go back and drive for Walgreens as a floater, cause I got the busy store experience.

Benefits of Walgreens: Great company, and you get rewarded but you have to stay there. Example: Can buy stock at a discount, but wait 1 year. 401K have to wait 1 year to enroll and 6 years to get fully vested. (I have an MBA so I like to play with 401K options, not that you need one to play) Stock options wait 2 years to cash. Makes sense tho, to keep u w/ the company.

Disadvantage of Walgreens: Since everyone likes it, they don't have to throw cash at you by negotiating salary, which is fair. In my case I waited for a year, and still no opening.:cool: