Walgreens new hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxmc2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm relocating to TX (specifically the DFW area) in a few weeks and received an offer from Walgreens couple months ago. I was just recently contacted by a manager saying Walgreens are changing their hours from 8am-10pm to 9am-9pm and some full-time staff pharmacists are being forced to go part-time and because of the hour change they are on a "hiring freeze". As a result my job offer was rescinded :annoyed:

I was just wondering if this hours change is happening to all Walgreens in 50 states or just certain areas? (or if she completed made that up?) I'm moving in 2 weeks and now this big curve ball, I'm not sure what to do.

There are some job openings for some long term care pharmacies but I only have 1.5 year of retail rph experience and no hospital experience so i'm not sure how qualified I am.... then there's CVS is still hiring in the area but I really don't want to go that route......help!

Members don't see this ad.

She didn't make it up- it's happening in the midwest too.

Hi guys, so I'm relocating to TX (specifically the DFW area) in a few weeks and received an offer from Walgreens couple months ago. I was just recently contacted by a manager saying Walgreens are changing their hours from 8am-10pm to 9am-9pm and some full-time staff pharmacists are being forced to go part-time and because of the hour change they are on a "hiring freeze". As a result my job offer was rescinded :annoyed:

I was just wondering if this hours change is happening to all Walgreens in 50 states or just certain areas? (or if she completed made that up?) I'm moving in 2 weeks and now this big curve ball, I'm not sure what to do.

There are some job openings for some long term care pharmacies but I only have 1.5 year of retail rph experience and no hospital experience so i'm not sure how qualified I am.... then there's CVS is still hiring in the area but I really don't want to go that route......help!

Walgreens has been cutting their hours from 8-10 to 9-9 for the past few years already in the northeast. I am guessing this this starting to roll out more and more in the other regions. I'd still apply to LTC...I have many friends who went from retail to LTC with no problem....just depends on the timing like everything else in life...just apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's happening here in Midwest. My DM told me they have to recall a lot of job offers this year. We also downsize our summer internship program since WAG is not gonna hire that many RPhs in the future, why bothering to hire all these interns..

Job market is really getting saturated now. (On the plus side, I can now use PTO freely since there are all these new grads looking for hours.)

OP should definitely look into LTC. I work part-time at a LTC. The pay is a little lower than WAG, but the stress is usually less than retail.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

beggars can't be choosers. If you desperately need a job and nobody's hiring but cvs is, then go with cvs. imho cvs and walgreens not that much different anyways

Yeah you might as well get the ball rolling with CVS until you get something better. Just remember that it's temporary and your stress level will go way down.

I did LTC per diem on weekends at 2 locations. I had no problem finding work but the pay was 40 for one location and 50 for another. I actually found both of the LTC jobs on craigslist. Give that a try along with monster and you should be fine.

CVS is still hiring. Oh my. CVS is always hiring... for a reason...

So Walgreens is actively planning to hire fewer pharmacists in the future? (what one poster alluded to above)

So Walgreens is actively planning to hire fewer pharmacists in the future? (what one poster alluded to above)

Definitely. I can't speak for other regions but I know my region we're having excess rphs from the last year already (the scheduler has to call to ask people to take off to get them hours). I just don't see how we're going to hire anymore rph this year with people from last year already struggling to get enough hours.

Most of the stores are now 9-9 with shortened weekend hours. We went from having 8 or so 24-hour stores to having 1 store now.

Definitely. I can't speak for other regions but I know my region we're having excess rphs from the last year already (the scheduler has to call to ask people to take off to get them hours). I just don't see how we're going to hire anymore rph this year with people from last year already struggling to get enough hours.
Man its getting bad ....

Reactions: 1 users
I remember being offered by Walgreens for the DFW area about 5 years ago. My offer letter was for 32 hours guaranteed and the 40 hours ended up being $106k or something really low compared to the other chains. I started higher at my current job than Walgreens and the chains are supposed to be the "high pay, high stress" employer haha

CVS's in DFW are cutting hours too (at least the one's around me are) 8-9pm about a year ago. Our store use to only have Christmas off and now we get every holiday off (about a year ago again). Changed hours for 2-3 24 hour stores in are area too (to closing at midnight). All those night pharmacists got moved/became floaters.

Most of the stores are now 9-9 with shortened weekend hours. We went from having 8 or so 24-hour stores to having 1 store now.

That sucks... is this something that's happening with all the retail chains? Or is it mostly a Walgreens-specific phenomenon? Also, do you know what the actual cause/reason for the hours reductions is? Is it primarily because of declining reimbursements?

That sucks... is this something that's happening with all the retail chains? Or is it mostly a Walgreens-specific phenomenon? Also, do you know what the actual cause/reason for the hours reductions is? Is it primarily because of declining reimbursements?
It's because the only way to grow profits for the company is to either increase your script count or decrease your expenditures. Shortening hours is the easiest way to keep the stock price moving higher. Their profits have stagnated. Why be open 8-10 when you can shave 2 hours off of that, save money on payroll and still fill just as many scripts.

It's because the only way to grow profits for the company is to either increase your script count or decrease your expenditures. Shortening hours is the easiest way to keep the stock price moving higher. Their profits have stagnated. Why be open 8-10 when you can shave 2 hours off of that, save money on payroll and still fill just as many scripts.

That works as long as there are no 24-hour competitors. People are funny about having 24 hour access, even if they never use it, they want to go to a pharmacy that has it. Same with pharmacies with shorter hours (independents), people like going to pharmacies with longer hours, even if they don't use them, I guess psychologically they think they are getting more for their money or something.

Why did these bastards (CVSh1t, Walgreed, and WrongAid) cut the 24 hour store hours?

Were they really losing money from having them 24 hours?

Why did these bastards (CVSh1t, Walgreed, and WrongAid) cut the 24 hour store hours?

Were they really losing money from having them 24 hours?
24h means you have to pay 520k/yr just for payroll. Compare that to half for regular store. How many more scripts you have to fill to get 260k profit?

Around here (northern California including Stockton) it seems all the 9-9 CVS pharmacies now have Saturday hours 10-6. Only the busier non-24 hour pharmacies have standard hours (8-9, 9-6, 10-6). I'm still surprised the only 24-hour CVS pharmacy in the greater Sacramento area is still 24 hours. Then again there are only 2 24-hour Walgreens and the 24-hour CVS. I don't think people are too keen

I can see other chains following suit for their slower stores. Walmart pharmacy doesn't need to be open until 7 PM on Saturday if no one else is doing it.

It's happening everywhere...not just walgreens. Walgreens was actually one of the first to cut hours then Rite Aid and CVS followed soon. Economically, it doesn't make sense to hire 2 rphs to staff overnights (7 on...7 off)....that's like 250k in salaries right there just for the pharmacy department for 1 store....I'm sure total expenditure to keep 1 store open 24 hours is much much more than 250k/year.

Reimbursements have alot to do with this as margins are being pressured. Also, they've realized that having 24-hour stores didn't really add any value. Now, everyone is evaluating if having 8-10pm is necessary. The answer is that no....most stores are fine with just opening 9-9 and shortened weekend hours. At least for Walgreens....this has been the model the past 3-4 years in the TRI STATE AREA (NJ,PA, DE). I can tell you that if your region is just starting to have this happen...EXPECT MUCH MORE CUTS.

We have rphs that were interns and signed on last year that don't still have the hours they need.

Dang I got the email offer from Walgreens last week and I accepted it, but I haven't heard back since. This offer is for a city just a few hours outside the DFW area. When did you hear back from the manager?