Walgreens policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many time can you fail either the NAPLEX or the MPJE before they terminate you? Taking both very soon and i'm freakin out

Members don't see this ad.

It only applies to NAPLEX! If you fail once, you're fine. If you fail the 2nd time, you lose your grad intern pay. If you fail the 3rd time, you're fired immediately.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
who the hell goes to school for 6 to 8 years and then fails the naplex?

It only applies to NAPLEX! If you fail once, you're fine. If you fail the 2nd time, you lose your grad intern pay. If you fail the 3rd time, you're fired immediately.
hcp, what state are you from? Do you know if this is across all walgreens or it varies from district to district?

How many time can you fail either the NAPLEX or the MPJE before they terminate you? Taking both very soon and i'm freakin out

They may not fire you as a grad intern, but you bet your sweet ass you're not gonna get a pharmacist position from them.

They may not fire you as a grad intern, but you bet your sweet ass you're not gonna get a pharmacist position from them.
What you said doesn't make sense, I'm already contracted with them that once I pass both exams then i'll be coded as pharmacist. Just not sure about being fire after how many attempts on the exam

What you said doesn't make sense, I'm already contracted with them that once I pass both exams then i'll be coded as pharmacist. Just not sure about being fire after how many attempts on the exam

I feel like two or three people who don't know eachother wrote that post.

"I don't understand your post about why failing to uphold my end of a contract would result in that contract being nullified."

Yes, they might have told you that.
Even if you don't get fired, the RPh job won't wait 90 days for you to retest.
It's a tight market.
Expect to move to another city or state.

Also, do you understand what happens to your intern license once you fail a board exam?

In my state, failure of the NAPLEX terminates the intern license.
Texas interns who fail the NAPLEX essentially automatically resign.

Check with your board of pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like two or three people who don't know eachother wrote that post.

"I don't understand your post about why failing to uphold my end of a contract would result in that contract being nullified."

Yes, they might have told you that.
Even if you don't get fired, the RPh job won't wait 90 days for you to retest.
It's a tight market.
Expect to move to another city or state.

Also, do you understand what happens to your intern license once you fail a board exam?

In my state, failure of the NAPLEX terminates the intern license.
Texas interns who fail the NAPLEX essentially automatically resign.

Check with your board of pharmacy.

Not to mention the 'contract' is almost certainly for at will employment in the first place...

Pretty sure you can only fail it once. If you fail it twice you're gone. OP can check with his boss/supervisor, but I know an intern who got the axe because they changed the policy from allowing you to fail twice to once.

When I was a new grad, the chains and hospitals gave you 90 days to become licensed from the time you graduated. Since failing the NAPLEX requires you to wait 90 days to retake, that automatically meant you were gone. You could fail MPJE and take it again since that only required a waiting period of 30 days, but again, it had to be within 90 days of graduation.

It's not even possible to become licensed within 90 days of graduation in some states like California.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not even possible to become licensed within 90 days of graduation in some states like California.
Then I would assume they would make exceptions for the delay due to the board processing the application, but not people failing. Do they even hire grad interns these days out there? It seems like since it's so saturated, they wouldn't wait 6 months for someone to get licensed. They would just hire someone who is already licensed.

you can only fail the exam one time, any more failed attempts will get your contract terminated by your DM.

Thanks kum718. I contacted my DM and he said just once, but just found out I pass the NAPLEX with triple digits, not nearly as bad as I thought, crosses fingers on the law which I will take next week!

who the hell goes to school for 6 to 8 years and then fails the naplex?

It sounds like the answer is "a lot more people than back when I went to school." My school averaged 1 failure a year, and it was usually along the lines of (a few years before me) someone who was "having very serious problems with one of her three children, and nearly had a nervous breakdown herself." My own class had a single NABPLEX failure; I didn't find out who it was until several years later, and didn't know the person well enough to know if I should have been surprised.

At least at the time, you had to pass it within 5 years after graduation to get a license. Drake, in Des Moines, lost its accreditation for a while in the 1980s because they had so many graduates who couldn't do this. :eek:

I didn't believe it until I witnessed it myself. So crazy. It's one thing to be a JD but not admitted to the bar. A PharmD (but no RPh) might spend a lot of time at the bar.

I mean you don't have to take my word for it, there are published statistics about it.

FWIW I knew a resident who failed to get licensed after three attempts and went into Finance. Again this guy went through the match process and got a residency. So hypothetically he should have been our best and brightest. And he failed the naplex three times.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean you don't have to take my word for it, there are published statistics about it.

FWIW I knew a resident who failed to get licensed after three attempts and went into Finance. Again this guy went through the match process and got a residency. So hypothetically he should have been our best and brightest. And he failed the naplex three times.
He had performance anxiety? :smuggrin:

I'm surprised they gave him three attempts! Wish we still get three attempts, then I won't have so much testing anxiety or pressure to pass, will get my law score next week, ugh...

I'm surprised they gave him three attempts! Wish we still get three attempts, then I won't have so much testing anxiety or pressure to pass, will get my law score next week, ugh...

Oh no his residency dropped him after the first attempt my point is he used all three attempts and was unable to become a pharmacist at all.

Alright, found out I pass my MPJE as well. Any recommendation for this neo-pharmacist before he gets eating by wolfs?