Walgreens Power Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minoos

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have heard from people in Walgreens that Power is coming to Arizona soon.does this mean there will be layoffs here like Florida?The market is already a little saturated.Maybe people in Florida can give us an idea if there will be layoffs and if yes how broad will it be.Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All
I have heard from people in Walgreens that Power is coming to Arizona soon.does this mean there will be layoffs here like Florida?The market is already a little saturated.Maybe people in Florida can give us an idea if there will be layoffs and if yes how broad will it be.Thanks in advance.

Yeah - layoffs of technicians...

some pharmacists will be losiing their jobs. They are reinterviewing for their jobs as we speak. Let's see how this goes the next couple months.

Members don't see this ad :)
working with power for awhile now. Expect lots of hour cuts including pharmacy hours from 8-10 to 9-9 with no midshifts so lots of floaters will be displaced, some just left the company and some went to cenfill with a pay cut so not sure if any pharmacists got laid off. Lot of 24h pharmacies were cut to 9-9 too. As far techs... Sucks for you. Better hope you have some years under your belt with the company and be on peoples good sides if you get displaced so you can find a store. If you are new with the company .. Start looking for a new job before lay offs and the market is even more saturated. That's my two cents. Somehow I'm still with the company...

Looks like we just have to wait and see what happens since this is fairly new and it has only been implemented in one other state.

Power is already in Arizona, at least in Tempe. It may not be in the stores but there are already work at home pharmacists in the state. I am a work at home pharmacist in Florida and LOVE my job. But I DO NOT love Power, especially when I was in the store. It really is a way to make more money by cutting out the most expensive employee they have in the store, but then again what would you expect from one of the Largest retail pharms in the country.

I just think back to all the luncheons in pharmacy school where they insisted that at Walgreens we were the most intregal part of the operation and without the pharmacy the stores would not be what they were. Wow biggest load of BS, now the students that were their techs and then interns for all these years are left out because they are cutting jobs.

Dont get me wrong, in this economy I am VERY VERY grateful to have a job and esp. a work at home job.....its just sad and unexpected to see the way this is all going down. Good luck to everyone especially the new grads!

Walgreen has announced it will open fewer new stores in the coming years, slowing down to growth of 2.5 percent to 3 percent in fiscal 2011. During the third quarter, Walgreen opened or bought 162 stores, which gave it a total of 6,857. It also has about 500 worksite health and wellness centers, along with specialty, institutional, and mail-order pharmacies. The company opened 122 stores in the third quarter of 2008.

The fourth quarter is typically Walgreen's busiest in terms of store openings because it wants the stores to be operational during the holiday shopping season. The company opened 199 stores in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2008, and expects a slightly lower number in the last quarter of fiscal 2009. That translates to growth of about 9 percent.

Doesn't look like they're slowing down too much... yet.