Walgreens-reasonable way to quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc1234567

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking to quit my pharmacist job at Walgreens.I want to leave in an appropriate manner.Can anyone tell me how far ahead I need to notify them in order to quit in a reasonable way?I never came across any PPL regarding that.

Members don't see this ad.

Office space? No idea what is that
Can you please tell?

Members don't see this ad :)
While not office space, here is one possibility: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJt0DXdZ0k Although I don't know if you would consider this the most "reasonable" way to quit.

Depending on how critical your job is, I would figure the typical 2 weeks (at least) would be sufficient. Especially if you are just a staff pharmacist, as I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for them to find another WAG pharmacist to take your position for the time being.

Just be honest with your supervisor and give two weeks notice at the minimum (and up to 4 weeks maximum). If they ask for an exit interview try to keep your remarks positive.

Hi everyone,
I am looking to quit my pharmacist job at Walgreens.I want to leave in an appropriate manner.Can anyone tell me how far ahead I need to notify them in order to quit in a reasonable way?I never came across any PPL regarding that.

I think honestly the best way to not burn any bridges is to just have a heart to heart your supervisor and ask him or her kindly to fellate you. If that doesn't work tell him that you had sex with his wife (or mother if your sup is a female).

I think honestly the best way to not burn any bridges is to just have a heart to heart your supervisor and ask him or her kindly to fellate you.

Are you sure that is the word choice you wanted to use?

Hi everyone,

Standard 2 weeks notice. Tell the pharmacy sup face to face and give them written notice as well. Do your two weeks then hit the road and never look back.

I figured I'd work out my schedule. I'm usually scheduled 3-4 weeks out. Right now I'm scheduled through 3/21

3/21 aka judgement day :p

Seriously though, I'd just wait till 3/19 or 3/21 (whenever the hour cuts are rolling out) and see if they try to cut you. I hear they are cleaning shop with the cuts and have already began laying off rphs. This way you might at least get a small severance package. Could it hurt to wait another two weeks to see?

2 weeks minimum for any job, 4 weeks minimimum for a managerial job. Most places have a written policy on minimum weeks noticed expected for any job. I would think working through the posted schedule would be a good way to not burn bridges.

Members don't see this ad :)

Seriously though, I'd just wait till 3/19 or 3/21 (whenever the hour cuts are rolling out) and see if they try to cut you. I hear they are cleaning shop with the cuts and have already began laying off rphs. This way you might at least get a small severance package. Could it hurt to wait another two weeks to see?

I'm scheduled 1 day next week. Granted I was scheduled 32 hours this week and the week after, but I can't afford to average 20 hours/wk.

Give at least a two week notice...if you don't you might end up on their black list! I am on target's do NOT hire list b/c of this problem. :oops:

is this true?

Pharmatope if you are asking about walgreens NO atleast not in my district.
But they are cutting tech hours again and again and again

Thanks everyone for replying I appreciate it.

Pharmatope if you are asking about walgreens NO atleast not in my district.
But they are cutting tech hours again and again and again

Thanks everyone for replying I appreciate it.

Yes it is in the news today! WAG has started the layoff process already at the CPO in Miami Lakes. The worst is still to come. It is too soon to predict how bad financially speaking is going to get in the future because of the fight with ESI. Good luck folks!

Yes it is in the news today! WAG has started the layoff process already at the CPO in Miami Lakes. The worst is still to come. It is too soon to predict how bad financially speaking is going to get in the future because of the fight with ESI. Good luck folks!

The Deerfield, Ill.-based company filed a Workers Adjustment and Retraining Notification notice with the state of Florida on March 1 warning of mass layoffs from the closing of the central pharmacy operation portion of its Miami Lakes facility at 14901 N.W. 79th Court.

Give at least a two week notice...if you don't you might end up on their black list! I am on target's do NOT hire list b/c of this problem. :oops:

You're probably on other blacklists as well. A bunch of chains here share blacklists with each other.

You're probably on other blacklists as well. A bunch of chains here share blacklists with each other.

I quit Target in 2009 but I got hired as a Walmart intern in 2011. It doesn't matter though...I am trying to aviod retail as much as I can. I rather work as a pharm sales rep than a retail pharmacist to be honest.

Everyone whoever replied thanks
Ok I have another question for wag pharmacist.
Is there a position code I can change to which is PRN like if I want to do one shift a week by picking a shift from market scheduling I can do that.In this way I will be with the company without going through the insanity they put us through.
As staying full time in this situation is totally insane.I know that even for position code change I might need to give them 2 weeks notice.
Do you think it is something doable or my sup will make sure either I quit or stay full time?

Everyone whoever replied thanks
Ok I have another question for wag pharmacist.
Is there a position code I can change to which is PRN like if I want to do one shift a week by picking a shift from market scheduling I can do that.In this way I will be with the company without going through the insanity they put us through.
As staying full time in this situation is totally insane.I know that even for position code change I might need to give them 2 weeks notice.
Do you think it is something doable or my sup will make sure either I quit or stay full time?

I'm a float, so I don't know about changing from staff to prn. I don't know if there's technically any difference between float and prn, or if prn positions actually exist.

The Deerfield, Ill.-based company filed a Workers Adjustment and Retraining Notification notice with the state of Florida on March 1 warning of mass layoffs from the closing of the central pharmacy operation portion of its Miami Lakes facility at 14901 N.W. 79th Court.

Wow, that is news to me. Are they scraping the central fill concept or just scaling back?

No luck finding anything else yet I take it?

Nope. I'm applying locally for now. My lease still has 3 months on it. If I haven't found anything by then, I can broaden my search. There's a local independent hiring and I've got an interview on Weds with CVS. I should qualify for reciprocity in Sept if it comes to that. Found out that I'm competing for hours with an H1-B visa who is contractually guaranteed hours. I shouldn't be bitter, but I am. Not hating the players, just the game, owners, and managers. :shrug:

Did they treat you well and with respect? Now, I feel you should give as much respect to you're employer as they showed you, but keep in mind the world of pharmacy is small, so be careful if you choose a dramatic exit it doesn't come back to haunt you for further job opportunities. I have worked with very good people with Walgreens and some real slithery snakes as well ( which was why I quit). Of course my case involves lawyers now, as they told me as a pharmacy manager (the store manager and the DM) that I had to cover several extra weekends when they were short, and because I was salaried and recieved a larger bonus I was not entitled to overtime, I found out later this was not true and it was illegal for them to have me work "off the clock". When I asked lost prevention for the back pay I was told I waited too long and I was "lucky to have a job", in reference to working off the clock. (they will have to pay twice as much now), so my departure, needless to say, did not involve a two week notice. I hope you are leaving on better terms. Two week notice is more than suffice, after all they have been cutting hours anyway. If you feel you were mistreated, you could even ask your supervisor for an exit interview ASAP, I've heard supervisors state in manager meetings "I tell pharmacist if they are unhappy about a decision they are more than welcome to have today be their last day." Don't feel you owe them anything, especially with the arrogant stance they have taken now that pharmacists are not in as great of demand as we were 5 years ago (at least in my market). If they treated you with respect, I'd give them two weeks, and don't sweat it, Walgreens will survive and they know it.

Link, please?

I thought that kind of thing was incredibly illegal.

Tell them you found a non-retail job. That is a Good enough reason to quit a retail job IMO. :D

Hi Everyone
This is an old post by me. I have moved on .....
The harsh reality is our profession in retail is totally hijacked by non-pharmacists and so called pharmacists.

Two week notice to switch from full time to part time (prn)