Walgreens......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotus89

Member....you member?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just applied to walgreens for the pharm tech position and I am centered around a good 5 walgreens in at 5 mile radius...:thumbup:
I did the online application, and I went to the store and did their math/copin/typing/ test. I am 99.9% sure I got everything right..(excluding the ethical q's)
I am not cert. yet, but I am self-studying and scheduled to take the PTCE test March 14th.
And so basically I wait until they call me...Anyone have any feelings or sharing any stories related to this? How long they waited (I know it depends on the area) or who called them...etc....
How they like working there?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you speak with the pharmacy manager?

Hey

I worked for Walgreens for about 2 years, just until they recently did away with the part time techs because of hours being cut. I loved it at first, and then when they started "POWER", which I believe right now is only in Central Florida, and Arizona, which is a good thing, working just wasnt the same. I never did become certified, even though Walgreens would pay for it, it was just hard to fit the classes in with my regular school classes. I never had to go through the interview/application process because I knew the pharmacy manager. But I would suggest going and talking to the pharmacy manager because there are a lot of applications, and if they are looking to hire someone, they want someone who really wants the job!!! Good Luck, let us know how it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree with the above post-speak with the pharmacy manager so he/she can put a face with the application. I actually had to call around 10 stores to check their availability before one of them agreed to interview me. Luckily they were short-staffed so I got hired that same day :)

really?
well I have no problem calling them so, i just ask for the pharmacy manager and when I could meet with them?

About the "power" thing, i can't believe they cut hours and stuff...well, even though i have classes and such, i am hoping to get the odd hours (weeknights/weekends/grave shifts) so i am not going to be really picky about hours, alot of students dont like working weekends or nights, and i am all for that.

Yea "Power" is this whole new idea that it will make more time for pharmacists to have patient contact but really it has made them busier, b/c your always fixing the mistakes of the central location. I also could only work weekends and like 2 nights a week, so it wasn't a big deal for me to have to be cut. I enjoyed working for Walgreens while i was there though. So as long as your not in central florida or ariziona your okay.. =)

I've been a tech for them for about 2.5 years, and I've seen around a dozen or so techs move in and out of our pharmacy. You might not hear back right away, but keep nagging them because someone WILL quit soon enough. Depending on the location the job is demanding and some kids just can't hang. And they should understand that it is a stepping stone job and are usually pretty flexible with scheduling around school especially since your going into pharmacy. But whether or not you'll like it completely depends on who you work with. It can be relaxed or uptight as hell, just like any other job.

I've been a senior tech for about 3 years and I can help a little with my experiences.

When I first applied, I had already taken the test after self-study and had certification so that may have helped some, but from what I've seen, most people hired have no certification. That test you take at Walgreen's is kinda worthless, imo, and the real factor is whether you're randomly chosen to be called whenever the manager isn't busy. As was stated earlier, the best thing to do would be to talk to the pharmacy manager, and try to go at a not so busy time (i.e. not 6pm during rush hour).

As for my experience there, I love it, it's why I chose to become a pharmacist. Know this though, most techs aren't interested, or are only half-assed, about being a pharmacist. Some of them think of it as just making money and nothing more. I think the most depressing part about my job is seeing my other technicians not give a damn about the customer. Even worse is seeing some of the pharmacists do this, but of course we all have our off days.

One more thing that I will reiterate from the top, to be good, the job will demand quite a bit from you. We've had people quit after a week after seeing it's not all fruit and cupcakes once you get in the back. It is definitely rewarding if you have the right attitude and it will possibly be the best judge of whether you want to be a pharmacist or not.

I applied online and then took the exam at Walgreens...3-4 days later got a call from the store manager. I was interview twice! LOL...once with the store manager and pharm manager and the other time with the store manager and some guy that certifies pharm techs....then I got a call the next day that I am hired. I think the store manager likes me. LOL... anyways just make sure you do very well on the interview. ;)

Make sure you get into a pharmacy with male pharmacists....LOL...the female pharmacist that I work with is very moody...but overall its a good job. Oh and make sure you memorize where everything is at in Walgreens..you will have idiots come up to you all the time bugging you and asking you questions about where the toilet paper is at...:rolleyes: sometimes its soooo funny hearing idiots ask the dumbest questions...its almost like a joke. :laugh:

Yeah, well I have called a few of the pharmacy managers in my area, but only got to call like 2 because one said to call another store and the other store said to call the district office. I called the district office and they said there were no openings :(
So I decided to try CVS...I talked like 4 or 5 pharm managers out of like 7, because they were on break or left work. Those pharmacy managers were so helpful and giving me tips about how to get hired and stuff (although those nice pharamcy managers weren't hiring:mad:)

So I mean I only finished the 2nd application (the one you take at the actual store) like 2 days ago, but then again I live in CA, and right now, people would kill for a job. I mean I already have 2 jobs but I want to quit my DHS one for a pharm tech because my DHS job only lets me work M-F and classes are M-F and my second job is only M-F....so I really really want night/weekend work

Anyways for people that hate their job that are hired are taking up serious space. A happy pre-pharmacy student (me;)) would love to take their position if they aren't going to put their all into it....uggg

So any more advice? Or should I just keep bugging all of the stores and call them like once a week or sooooo?:confused:

I have worked as a tech at walgreens for three years and have loved every second of it, okay, not every second, but I enjoy it alot. It is the most challenging job I've had, but the most rewarding too. I was very lucky because I tried to apply for the pharmacy, but I took a job in the photo department instead, but was persistent and finally got a job as a pharmacy tech. They paid for my certification after 6 months. Then just 3 months later I was promoted to senior tech.

I have such good experiences because of the techs and pharmacists I work with. When you get a job, my most pressing piece of advice is to get along with all the employees in the store, the store managers especially. (Unfortunetly, they run the store and can be a little to controling at times)

i passed the cert pharm tech exam and now i am certified, i will call again today, hopefully someones hiring!

Yea "Power" is this whole new idea that it will make more time for pharmacists to have patient contact but really it has made them busier, b/c your always fixing the mistakes of the central location. I also could only work weekends and like 2 nights a week, so it wasn't a big deal for me to have to be cut. I enjoyed working for Walgreens while i was there though. So as long as your not in central florida or ariziona your okay.. =)
Hey Kaytee1006, I am from central florida and POWER begins next month, I was just wondering if they really got rid of all part-time techs? Even if they're certified?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the process of getting hired on as a tech at my local Walgreens, I feel like I just lucked into the position though, just randomly applied online and went to the nearest store to do the aptitude test (which happens to be literally about 2 minutes from home.) As it turned out they were actually looking for someone full time, which I can be for the next two months before summer classes start.

Nervous but excited. :thumbup: Time to start studying for the tech cert I reckon.

I'm currently in the process of getting hired on as a tech at my local Walgreens, I feel like I just lucked into the position though, just randomly applied online and went to the nearest store to do the aptitude test (which happens to be literally about 2 minutes from home.) As it turned out they were actually looking for someone full time, which I can be for the next two months before summer classes start.

Nervous but excited. :thumbup: Time to start studying for the tech cert I reckon.
yea it is easy, dont worry...

I cant wait for power to start in AZ. We go to 9a-9p M-F then 10-6 on weekends. Hopefully my hours get cut and I can just work sundays. I hate this gd job!

I cant wait for power to start in AZ. We go to 9a-9p M-F then 10-6 on weekends. Hopefully my hours get cut and I can just work sundays. I hate this gd job!
at least you have a pharmacy tech job!!!!!!!!! lol

Anybody who wants my job can have it. Ive done it for 3 and 1/2 years, im over it. I just wanna start pharm school and be done w/ this lame bs job.

Anybody who wants my job can have it. Ive done it for 3 and 1/2 years, im over it. I just wanna start pharm school and be done w/ this lame bs job.

tooo bad you live in AZ....

what is the "power" program?

I never realized how coveted tech positions are until I came to this board. I was a Walgreens tech for 2 yrs in college and I HATED every minute of retail pharmacy. I worked in a really snotty end of town though and everyone was rude. Ruined retail for me- I'm shooting for managed care.

I never realized how coveted tech positions are until I came to this board. I was a Walgreens tech for 2 yrs in college and I HATED every minute of retail pharmacy. I worked in a really snotty end of town though and everyone was rude. Ruined retail for me- I'm shooting for managed care.

EXACTLY!!!! Except I'm still there at 3.5 years. But seriously, retail pharmacy is pure hell. Its a great addition to an application to get into pharm school but once you're excepted, GTFO!

What is the worst part about your job? How busy is your store? How many tech and pharmacist hours are there? At mine, we average about 400 rx's/day and have three full time techs and a part timer. We have 2.5 pharmacists (2 full and 1 part time)

if you're gonna be a retail pharmacist, you better damn well know how to do the techs job. the last thing you want is a senior tech who knows more than the pharmacist and goes power hungry...

What is the worst part about your job? How busy is your store? How many tech and pharmacist hours are there? At mine, we average about 400 rx's/day and have three full time techs and a part timer. We have 2.5 pharmacists (2 full and 1 part time)

Worst part - interacting with ******s

The store I work with is the busiest non24 hour store in the district. We prob avg ~400-500 rx per weekday, ~250-300 on saturday then sunday is slow.

2 full time pharmacists (thankfully both are FANTASTIC, both can handle the load and are real idols for me)

3 full time techs, few part timers. Overall the techs are pretty competent, we have a great workflow.

Overall I just cant stand the drive thru, constant phone ringing, never-ending filling and really never feeling like Ive accomplished anything at the end of the day. I know tomorrow the same exact processes will occur (phone will ring, drive thru will be going off nonstop, labels wont stop printing, and I have to deal with people who somehow manage to get by with their heads up their butts). I'm done.

Worst part - interacting with ******s

The store I work with is the busiest non24 hour store in the district. We prob avg ~400-500 rx per weekday, ~250-300 on saturday then sunday is slow.

2 full time pharmacists (thankfully both are FANTASTIC, both can handle the load and are real idols for me)

3 full time techs, few part timers. Overall the techs are pretty competent, we have a great workflow.

Overall I just cant stand the drive thru, constant phone ringing, never-ending filling and really never feeling like Ive accomplished anything at the end of the day. I know tomorrow the same exact processes will occur (phone will ring, drive thru will be going off nonstop, labels wont stop printing, and I have to deal with people who somehow manage to get by with their heads up their butts). I'm done.
that's retail for ya

the key to enjoying retail is to have had a job that was even worse.

I used to work at McDonalds. You wanna interact with real ******s? Work fast food. Working as a tech at a pharmacy that does 200~300 scripts a day is heaven compared to working the lunch hour at McDonalds.

Plus as a pharm tech I've never had soda thrown in my face because I gave someone cold fries.

the key to enjoying retail is to have had a job that was even worse.

I used to work at McDonalds. You wanna interact with real ******s? Work fast food. Working as a tech at a pharmacy that does 200~300 scripts a day is heaven compared to working the lunch hour at McDonalds.

Plus as a pharm tech I've never had soda thrown in my face because I gave someone cold fries.

The world of customer service... it's a harsh one...

I'm just now considering going the pharmacy route, and I was wondering how impt having pharmacy experience is on an app. Is working in a pharmacy sort of a unofficial "requirement" to getting into pharm school?

d
I'm just now considering going the pharmacy route, and I was wondering how impt having pharmacy experience is on an app. Is working in a pharmacy sort of a unofficial "requirement" to getting into pharm school?

Its not required however I think it is heavily favored. Some schools require volunteer and/or work time before starting classes. It definitely cant hurt ya so you might as well give it a shot. Retail blows so just work sunday or something, take it easy. Schools never require to list the avg hours per week, so working one day a week for a year still means you worked retail for a year.

So I went in to start my long, boring round of poorly-acted training videos today in a small back room that felt like it was about 60 degrees. I also learned that my new store home is apparently one of the busiest in the state.

ponder.gif

d

Its not required however I think it is heavily favored. Some schools require volunteer and/or work time before starting classes. It definitely cant hurt ya so you might as well give it a shot. Retail blows so just work sunday or something, take it easy. Schools never require to list the avg hours per week, so working one day a week for a year still means you worked retail for a year.

I think it is good to get experience before applying to school. However, if you are able to, the more you can get involved the better. I think it would benefit you to work as much as possible and gain alot of experience. This way you will have a better idea if pharmacy is for you (if you can handle retail, you'll be able to handle other positions). Besides, being a tech in retail is difficult, but is harder just doing 1 shift a week.

Work as much as you can (without interfering with school). This way you'll pile up valuble experience and make some extra cash along the way.

Last edited:
So I went in to start my long, boring round of poorly-acted training videos today in a small back room that felt like it was about 60 degrees. I also learned that my new store home is apparently one of the busiest in the state.

ponder.gif
that room with the videos is always cold at our store because it's right next to the fridge. lol

and of course, they're not paying for heating a room w/1 person in it.

that room with the videos is always cold at our store because it's right next to the fridge. lol

and of course, they're not paying for heating a room w/1 person in it.

Haha, true... the exa I've been working with told me it's like that in every training room he's ever been in. I also heard it had something to do with the photo lab being close by, as well.

I work as a Walgreens tech right now. I got hired by filling out the online application, going up to the store, and asking to speak with the pharmacy manager. (It's better to fill out the application online first, so they can pull you up and see your application.) She interviewed me the following week with the store manager and I was hired on the spot. I think it really just depends on if they need a tech at the time, and how well you click with the pharmacy manager.

I personally dislike working for the company, and would like to move to Publix. I'm just not sure how flexible Publix is with school schedules, because my Walgreens is great about that sort of thing.