Walked out of interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dreamcrusher said:
Oh please. Being late shows a more pompous attitude. The least you can do for any of your patients is to BE ON TIME. Let me know when you actually get a job in the real world and learn that being on time is extremely important. I'm sure your boss would love to hear that your report won't be on time because you were tied up with other things. Also, from what I got out of the OP was that mam did wait longer than 15 min-he/she went to look for the interviewer, had the meeting rescheduled, went to the rescheduled meeting, waited 15, THEN left. The interveiwer was the one who didn't even bother getting organized or even calling to explain the situation.

That is not the point. While being late might be more pompous, the interviewer is in a possition to act this way, not the interviewee. This should be a relatively easy concept to understand, so perhaps it isn't much use to argue about. Of course it is rude to be late, of course the interviewer inconvenienced the OP, and of course the interviewer shouldn't have stood him/her up.. but when you are lower on the totem-pole it shows a lack of maturity and/or humity to fail to recognize that it wasn't personal and that beleive it or not, the interviewee's time is not as important as the interviewer's. You are on their ground, you are a guest in their "home", and they are allowed to treat you however they like. Is it rude? Sure. Is it their perogative? Definitely.

Sure its ok to leave as the OP did, cuss them out if you feel like it, but don't expect them not to penalize you for it (and I'm not suggesting the OP does expect this..)

The simple solution that nobody seems to disagree with is: Fine, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. They don't need you any more than you need them.

Members don't see this ad.

dreamcrusher said:
Oh please. Being late shows a more pompous attitude. The least you can do for any of your patients is to BE ON TIME. Let me know when you actually get a job in the real world and learn that being on time is extremely important. I'm sure your boss would love to hear that your report won't be on time because you were tied up with other things. Also, from what I got out of the OP was that mam did wait longer than 15 min-he/she went to look for the interviewer, had the meeting rescheduled, went to the rescheduled meeting, waited 15, THEN left. The interveiwer was the one who didn't even bother getting organized or even calling to explain the situation.

heh well being the doctor and not the interviewee who is more entitled to the pompous attitude?? personally id show some humility in my situation and rather than storm off as if he was the president whose combined 30 minutes are more important then anything ever. you earn respect and the right to be pompous, you dont deserve it. and you really do not have any right to any attitude what so ever, especially if you are the person asking to be in that med school. but hey i dont have a million acceptances like super star OP. and its nice to see you have already passed judgement on my situation, i work 40 hours a week while taking a full load in school on top of studying for mcats. my work day spans beyond 5 o clock and yes i do work weekends. did i mention im not getting paid for this?

EDIT: damnit zoom zoom you always beat me to the punch :laugh:

the negative 1 said:
Exactly. On one occasion, I was waiting for my second interviewer to arrive and she never did. I eventually asked the secretary in the admissions office to please page my interviewer and it turned out she was in the middle of surgery. Did I throw a temper tantrum? No. The admissions office kindly asked another interviewer if he could interview me after his last applicant, which he happily obliged.

Despite having acceptances on your belt, that is no excuse for your unprofessionalism and immature behavior.

Exactly - speaking as someone coming from a busy profession, sometimes you get tied up, can't leave, and are late -- often VERY LATE - to meetings. You apologize profusely, but it happens. While the admissions office shouldn't have told you the person was there waiting, you probably should have given then 30 mins to an hour to show up, and then doubled back to the admissions office to indicate they weren't there yet. This isn't college where if the prof doesn't show up in 15 minutes you can leave. If you had any interest in the school you would have showed persistence and professionalism and sat tight for far longer than you did.

Members don't see this ad :)
nekrogg said:

Yeah whatever, I know you copied my response and changed it around all quick-like ;)

Funny, I work full time too. Maybe it's those of us who do work that understand how common it is to be late and how unavoidable this can often be.

nekrogg said:
heh well being the doctor and not the interviewee who is more entitled to the pompous attitude?? personally id show some humility in my situation and rather than storm off as if he was the president whose combined 30 minutes are more important then anything ever. you earn respect and the right to be pompous, you dont deserve it. and you really do not have any right to any attitude what so ever, especially if you are the person asking to be in that med school. but hey i dont have a million acceptances like super star OP. and its nice to see you have already passed judgement on my situation, i work 40 hours a week while taking a full load in school on top of studying for mcats. my work day spans beyond 5 o clock and yes i do work weekends. did i mention im not getting paid for this?

Amen. :thumbup:

jbone said:

Hey that was my idea! :laugh:

p.s. What would we do without smilies? :p

Zoom-Zoom said:
Hey that was my idea! :laugh:

p.s. What would we do without smilies? :p

smiles are a beautiful tool for conveying sarcasm through the internet :)

while without a smilie i might of taken something to offense, adding a laughing face to a makes my day :laugh:

the funny thing is when i type my responses, i usually double check it for spelling (at least to the best of my ablities) so as to not look like a complete id*ot. before i post i dont see zoom zoom and then bam he is there. funny thing is we end up saying the same things :D

I don't think leaving on the part of the OP was inpolite. He waited, he looked, he waited again. The kid's got a right to get pissed off and leave at that point, although it may have been rude not to go back to the admissions office, explain what happened and that he was leaving, so the (rude) interviewer didn't wait for him or have to look for him- if you're going for the how you want to be treated and not the revenge thing.

Respect is not a matter of who has more power. You show it to everyone, and hope others do the same for you. If you're a doctor, do you have the right to keep a patient waiting all day? Sometimes it's inevitable, and you probably wouldn't care if they left and found another doctor who wouldn't make them wait, but no matter what their job or status, it was still rude of you to do so and they completely have the right to leave, without harsh judgements from anyone else about their behaviour.

To the OP: so you probably didn't win any points by leaving, but it sounds like you want to go somewhere else anyway, so all the luck to you.

And hey, sounds like he didn't know he didn't want to go there until this happened. WHile the wisdom of judging a school on one circumstance may be hasty, sometimes admissions offices are reflective of the school's attitude in general. I mean, if this happened all the time with all your profs. while you were a student, wouldn't you think about regretting attending that school?

Camillekc said:
If you're a doctor, do you have the right to keep a patient waiting all day? Sometimes it's unevitable, and you probably wouldn't care if they left and found another doctor who wouldn't make them wait, but no matter what their job or status, it was still rude of you to do so and they completely have the right to leave, without harsh judgements from anyone else about their behaviour.

Many doctors don't work with a waiting room setting, so I'm not sure why people keep coming back to that example. Certainly most docs who do interviews are clinicians working in the hospital. Patients are in the hospital, and if you are in surgery or a meeting all day, then yes, they absolutely wait. Rudeness doesn't enter into it unless the scheduling conflict was by choice, which is most frequently not the case. Much of medicine is not scheduled, and meetings you have to be at by virtue of your job don't always end when you want them to. We don't know the import of what that doctor was doing, but the normal inference is that they were not making themselves unavailable by choice.

I think what it comes down to here is attitude. Now I'm not going to flame the op anymore but they(OP) needs to understand why they received such a backlash of responses. First of all, if you remember the whole turd hotdog thread that was posted earlier this month (great thread :thumbup: ), I stated that I would eat a turd hotdog to get into a medical school. Gross as it may seem to you, it means a whole lot more to me. I want to be a doctor more than anything. And if that means that I need to wait 15, 30, 45 minutes or hours, do their laundry,
eat poo :barf: , wash their dishes, whatever... I'm going to do it. Hell, I'd sleep on the front porch all night if it meant that I would have a chance to attend a great institution like Loma Linda. Like I said, a difference in attitude. Some of us, I would say the large majority of us, would be willing to do almost anything to go to a great school like Loma Linda. And thus the negative response. If you didn't really care about the school, why did you apply? Best of luck. And like I stated earlier, if you don't want the spot, get the hell out of my way :horns: . Play nice. :thumbup:

It was just an example. Sure people in hospitals wait (although not always), but only because they have no other choice, not out of deference to the doctor.

I'm not saying the doctor was necessarily rude, although the admissions office may have been for saying s/he was waiting there, I'm just saying the OP wasn't rude for leaving, not that it shouldn't affect his application. Everyone just had their priorities.

Law2Doc said:
Many doctors don't work with a waiting room setting, so I'm not sure why people keep coming back to that example. Certainly most docs who do interviews are clinicians working in the hospital. Patients are in the hospital, and if you are in surgery or a meeting all day, then yes, they absolutely wait. Rudeness doesn't enter into it unless the scheduling conflict was by choice, which is most frequently not the case. Much of medicine is not scheduled, and meetings you have to be at by virtue of your job don't always end when you want them to. We don't know the import of what that doctor was doing, but the normal inference is that they were not making themselves unavailable by choice.

I'm going to guess here that the OP and anyone arguing staunchly for him have known little besides school. I'm always amazed at how attitudes change from premed to med school, and from preclinical years to the wards. Early med students (including myself when I was in that position) have an attitude of entitlement, simply b/c they don't *really* understand the rigors of the wards. Then they get to third year, and suddenly they don't even THINK to complain when a doctor is late. The reason? When you're on the wards, you work like a dog, you're scared out of your mind b/c your actions suddenly have serious repercussions, and you start to miss meetings, yourself.

People, get used to it. It's not a simple as rudeness or an issue of courtesy. As physicians, you have ENORMOUS responsibility, oftentimes literally over whether or not a person lives or dies. Your primary responsibility is to your patients, and that comes before all else. After that, if you're at an academic center, you're responsible for supervising and teaching the residents and med students, which is a lot tougher than it sounds. Many also have to conduct research to maintain their academic positions.

As for admissions interviewing? They VOLUNTEER to do that, out of the goodness of their hearts. There is no obligation to you, regardless of any entitlement that you feel. If you're really serious about entering medicine, at least expand your thinking beyond yourself for a minute. If you don't achieve that by the time you get to the clinical years, your colleagues and superiors will take you to task.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
dreamcrusher said:
Exactly, 99% of premeds would allow themselves to get ass raped by adcoms in order to get into medschool. The original poster of this thread did the right thing by leaving. Time=$$$, don't waste my fcking time. I don't give a **** if you are an adcom or not.

wow, all you tools are going to be the jackasses who HURT during residency

Last edited:
I understand the OP's frustration, but I still think that 15 minutes was too short a time to wait before bailing, even though it was the rescheduled interview. It would have been more wise and more considerate to wait 20 or 30 minutes, and then speak to the admissions office again to ask for an alternate interviewer. If you alreeady wasted the time and money to go to the interview, you were only spiting yourself by leaving at that point. I've had interviewers show up late. Once, the guy was 25 minutes late, so I just waited and told him it was no problem when he finally did arrive. I've had interviewers answer phones and pagers and tell me we had to cut it short for a class or a surgery or whatever. Your interview day may be extremely important to you, but it's just one of many tasks for your interviewer. So, while you should expect a certain level of professionalism from them, you also have to remember that your easygoing attitude and politeness can make a great impression in the short time that you have. I was at an interview once where the guy was 40 minutes late, and this was a problem b/c I had another interview to go to. So, I simply asked his assistant to let me know when to expect him, and then used the office phone to call my next interviewer to explain that I might be a few minutes late. When he finally showed up, we had a good discussion and he even walked me to my next interview and told the guy how it was his fault. Imagine how much worse that day would've gone if I'd just left in a huff. Interviews are things you work really hard for; they're part of the process of realizing your dreams. If you can't wait more than 15 minutes for that (prior acceptances or not), that says a lot more about you than about your interviewer.

mamd2be said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I went to interview at Loma Linda this morning. First interview went great! The second interviewer didn't show up. She didn't even call. I ran around looking for the interview coordinator. I was asked to meet with the interviewer later... she was at a meeting that ran late and she forgot she had to interview. Went to meet with her again... waited for 15 minutes... decided to leave.

I took a day off of work, lost about $300 off of my paycheck.... ahhhhhhhh what lack of professionalism and consideration!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry, I just cant sympathize with your cause. You obviously did not have that much of a drive to actually go to that school. You are coming off as thinking "How dare they do this to me, I do not need them because I already have acceptances". Which is a completely fine attitude, and understandable...........but dont rant about how unprofessional the school is when you did not exhibit professionalism yourself.

Telemachus said:
Grow up.

The world does not synchronize its watches to suit your schedule. Deal with it.

The funny thing: if this person had said they were late for the interview, everyone would be flaming on about how irresponsible she is.

:rolleyes:

I agree, especially if you're accepted, and you get a negative impression - screw 'em. It's an interview both ways.

RunnerMD said:
I think there is a big difference here. During residency (and at points during med school and for the rest of our lives), we EXPECT to be in a position where we will garner little respect and probably have to put up with a lot of crap. However, at an interview, the dynamic is different.

Like I said before, I think the OP should have waited longer and then notified the admissions office. This way, you are not being rude by walking out, but you are not sitting there like a desperate idiot all day.

HA! You expect a pre-med to be given respect on a grander scale than a resident? Man.

VFTW said:
HA! You expect a pre-med to be given respect on a grander scale than a resident? Man, you people are so full of yourselves.

:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
RunnerMD said:
OMG!!!! No--that is NOT what I'm saying. I clearly stated that the SITUATIONS were different. It is a different dynamic and atmosphere in the two situations.

Why don't you read the post before trying to tell me that I am full of myself?

i think pretty much any pre-med on this board who supports the OP is full of his or herself, you just don't know it yet. wait till med school :meanie

Last edited:
RunnerMD said:
AGAIN, I'd advocate READING my posts. I never said I supported the OP. I said that I thought his/her response wasn't proper, but I understood his/her perspective. I don't think you should be a pushover, whether you are a pre-med, a Nobel Prize winner, or a janitor.

Waiting for a superior who is tied up is not being a pushover. It is being respectful. If the superior was doing it on purpose to abuse the subordinate's time, maybe I could see a case for calling a subordinate a "pushover." In this situation? No way. Show some respect, OP - you're going to need it if you ever go to medical school.

Last edited:
VFTW said:
Waiting for a superior who is tied up is not being a pushover. It is being respectful. If the superior was doing it on purpose to abuse the subordinate's time, maybe I could see a case for calling a subordinate a "pushover." In this situation? No way. Show some respect, OP - you're going to need it if you ever go to medical school.

What about repeatedly having to wait for a superior? The second interview seemed to be scheduled but the interviewer just left again even though the applicant got there on time. What is that? Do you constantly just keep waiting for someone, rescheduling, waiting, rescheduling all in the same day? I realize there are complications and problems on anything as busy as an interview day. I personally would have gone back to the admissions office after waiting 20 minutes to say well "no interviewer again" It's not like this happens frequently at other schools on interview day. It seems that this interviewer in particular was not like most others that ARE on time, professional and considerate. I don't think the OP should be harassed. This interviewer in particular was the one at fault (But obviously does not represent an institution as a whole, or the entire field of physician interviewers that are out there). Just because he/she is a physician doesn't mean he/she has a right to keep blowing off an interview.

RunnerMD said:
Are you saying you would sit there for 4 hours and not notify anyone? If so, that shows a serious lack of common sense.

there's a difference between notifying someone and just STORMING OFF like the OP did.

Waiting 30 min is not being a pushover.
THe OP didn't do that so clearly, the OP was not being pushed around.

Waiting hours and hours IS being a pushover.

Um hello? that didn't happen.

Last edited:
um, did anyone other than me see that small post where the OP stated the admissions folks said the interviewer was waiting in her office for the OP the second time? It seems that should change things a bit. And if they got called away, it takes only a few seconds to write a post-it note and put it on the door.

Look at it this way, OP. You just weren't meant to go to LL... it's fate's way of saying 'don't go here'. And good luck to you!

Rather than continue to fight for/against the OP, I wonder if there would be any situations where you would walk out on an interview? Assume you already have acceptances to schools higher on your list, and you're at this interview to see if you like its setting, or in hopes of more financial aid, or at least have some reason and aren't knowingly wasting your time.

I think only if the admissions office was outright rude or inconsiderate to me would I consider leaving early. Even if an interviewer were rude, late, or asked grossly inappropriate questions (superiority of their religion/race, etc.), I'd probably stick around. However, if the admissions staff themselves didn't try to help me if an interviewer hadn't shown up, etc. I'd probably leave. I know the admissions staff doesn't necessarily reflect the attitude/setting of the whole school, but it is partially their job to represent the school to potential students.

Last edited:
At the last school I interviewed, one of the admission's committee members told us a story of a woman who arrived at her interviewer's door only to find that he was not there. Thirty minutes later, the doctor showed up for what was supposed to be an hour-long interview. Halfway through the interview (the time when the interview should have been over, had the interviewer been on time), the woman looked at her watch and asked the interviewer if the interview could be over then. The surprised interviewer said sure and asked why--apaprently, the lady's boyfriend was outside waiting for her, and she "didn't want to make him wait." The AdCom member then made it very clear that this lady does *not* currently attend their school. She then asked us if we thought this lady would leave the hospital floor before her relief arrived and just leave her patients because her boyfriend was outside waiting for her. Or, would she stay and be sure that the patients were taken care of?

So, my $0.02--these interviewers are volunteering their time. Where did the OP have to be so urgently that she could not just sit and wait for the interviewer? If I were an interviewer, it would show me persistence, dedication, and perseverence for someone to wait and be *understanding* that things don't always go the way the person expects. Those traits are priceless in future doctors--dedication to helping patients, persistence and perserverence in research and arriving at a diagnosis, and understanding of other people's situation (even when they are not convenient for you).

If I'm going on an interview, it's either b/c I really want to attend the school, or I am trying to get practice for one of my top choices by going on an interview that doesn't cost me much (eg a school I can drive to).

So either way, that means I'm not walking -- b/c at the schools I really like I am certainly not walking, and at the practice schools if I encounter a difficult/unnerving situation I'd like to learn how to handle it (kind of the whole point of practice).

congrats on your other acceptances. you're in a better position than i am.

yet as a doctor, you will get pulled aside, clinic will run late, surgery will run into unforeseen complications, etc. people will be late. i bet your interviewer had the meeting run over, went down to interview you, and left real quick to do something that needed to be done, thinking he/she would make it back in time. working with doctors and having similar responsibilities myself, i've learned that being late is a part of medicine and a doctor.

mamd2be said:
I neglected to say... before I went to meet with her for the second time, the coordinator said she spoke to the interviewer and that she was in her office waiting for me.

The interview day isn't just for them to get to know us. It's also our chance to get to see them... its all about first impressions... and I was not impressed.

So how long should I have waited???? I could still be there, waiting for her to interview me the first time around if I didn't go hunt the coordinator down. I'm sorry but the interviewer not being present the second time around, is unacceptable.

Maybe I'm turning into an arogant jerk now that I've been accepted????

nah, you've been accepted, so you don't have to put up with their inconsiderate cr@p. we don't have to grovel in this process, and we shouldn't have to take complete rudeness from admissions staffs. you're also right that the interview is about selling the school to you, too. good for you for standing up for yourself! i'm with shyrem in that you should contact the admissions dean.

ShyRem said:
um, did anyone other than me see that small post where the OP stated the admissions folks said the interviewer was waiting in her office for the OP the second time? It seems that should change things a bit. And if they got called away, it takes only a few seconds to write a post-it note and put it on the door.

Look at it this way, OP. You just weren't meant to go to LL... it's fate's way of saying 'don't go here'. And good luck to you!

No way. If an interviewer gets called away to something medically important he doesn't stand around and write a note to an interviewee, then look for tape to put it on a door. The interview is not part of the interviewer's job -- he/she is generally doing it voluntarilly, and it is up to the admissions office to bend over backwards to make sure things work out and that interviewer unavailabilities are accomodated for.
Also the fact that the admissions office told the interviewee that someone was waiting for them doesn't change things in the way you suggest -- it really just makes it MORE reasonable and commonsense for the OP to have GONE BACK TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE, not left. To leave is irrational and self spiting in so many ways.

Law2Doc said:
No way. If an interviewer gets called away to something medically important he doesn't stand around and write a note to an interviewee, then look for tape to put it on a door. The interview is not part of the interviewer's job -- he/she is generally doing it voluntarilly, and it is up to the admissions office to bend over backwards to make sure things work out and that interviewer unavailabilities are accomodated for.
Also the fact that the admissions office told the interviewee that someone was waiting for them doesn't change things in the way you suggest -- it really just makes it MORE reasonable and commonsense for the OP to have GONE BACK TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE, not left. To leave is irrational and self spiting in so many ways.

Hey I am going to have to side with the poster on this. Maybe its because I am a bit older, but mutual respect is what I am looking for in medicine! I have sat in the waiting room preparing for an interview and watched a doc get an emergancy page. This doctor took the 30 seconds needed to notify the receptionist, thereby leaving a message for her next interviewee(sp), writing a post it doesn't take any more time than that. Just because you are a physician everybody's world does not stop or run on your time- this is a gross misconception. In the business world these type of actions are not the norm. While waiting for an interview with a Fortune 500 company I recieved a call from my interviewer (while he was in the meeting) informing me that he might be 5 minutes late! He was only 2 minutes late, but his respect and mutual consideration was eye opening. This is what I am looking for in medicine and med school (lucky for me I think I have found the right local). Congrats-poster there is no need to kowtow to their disrespectful and unreasonable expections just because "they save lives".

I never really intended to post anything because this thread has gotten redundant, but I wanted to quickly say that just because interviewers are conducting interviews voluntarily does not mean they should be able to get away with whatever they want. I am NOT talking about the OP's situation because I've had most of my interviewers be late or had my interviews moved repeatedly and I really didn't mind; those things happen all the time and it's important to be understanding. But several posters brought up the point that the interviewers are volunteers when I really see no relevance to the issue. It's the same whether it's part of their job or they want to do it. I've done volunteering in a hospital (as most people have), and it's not like just because I'm a volunteer that means I can skip my shifts whenever I want to. It's a commitment just like any other, I just chose to do this knowing full well the responsibility and the lack of monetary compensation. Same with interviewers.

tegs15 said:
Hey I am going to have to side with the poster on this. Maybe its because I am a bit older, but mutual respect is what I am looking for in medicine! I have sat in the waiting room preparing for an interview and watched a doc get an emergancy page. This doctor took the 30 seconds needed to notify the receptionist, thereby leaving a message for her next interviewee(sp), writing a post it doesn't take any more time than that. Just because you are a physician everybody's world does not stop or run on your time- this is a gross misconception. In the business world these type of actions are not the norm. While waiting for an interview with a Fortune 500 company I recieved a call from my interviewer (while he was in the meeting) informing me that he might be 5 minutes late! He was only 2 minutes late, but his respect and mutual consideration was eye opening. This is what I am looking for in medicine and med school (lucky for me I think I have found the right local). Congrats-poster there is no need to kowtow to their disrespectful and unreasonable expections just because "they save lives".

Waiting and making people wait is actually the norm in big business. Your Fortune 500 interview is different because they are still wooing you. But at any rate, the OP was wrong to just leave -- he/she could have left a note too :rolleyes: .

MrBurns10 said:
I never really intended to post anything because this thread has gotten redundant, but I wanted to quickly say that just because interviewers are conducting interviews voluntarily does not mean they should be able to get away with whatever they want. I am NOT talking about the OP's situation because I've had most of my interviewers be late or had my interviews moved repeatedly and I really didn't mind; those things happen all the time and it's important to be understanding. But several posters brought up the point that the interviewers are volunteers when I really see no relevance to the issue. It's the same whether it's part of their job or they want to do it. I've done volunteering in a hospital (as most people have), and it's not like just because I'm a volunteer that means I can skip my shifts whenever I want to. It's a commitment just like any other, I just chose to do this knowing full well the responsibility and the lack of monetary compensation. Same with interviewers.

I think people were not so much suggesting that volunteers didn't have to abide by committments, but more that the OP seemed to feel he/she was owed a certain degree of respect to not be kept waiting by the interviewer. However physicians may have multiple committments, and in some cases, an interviewee gets trumped. Certainly if your job demands one thing and something you volunteered to do demands another, you would be hard pressed to shirk your employment obligations. Even more so when your employment obligations might involve peoples' lives. Interviewers get into binds like this all the time, and the admissions office has the job to fix the snafu. When you get to med school, you will have clinicians volunteer to lecture to a class or club and then get called away at the last minute, leaving a classroom full of people sitting and twiddling their thumbs -- it happens all the time, and that's the nature of the profession.

Law2Doc said:
I think people were not so much suggesting that volunteers didn't have to abide by committments, but more that the OP seemed to feel he/she was owed a certain degree of respect to not be kept waiting by the interviewer.

uhh...wouldn't you feel like you are owed a certain degree of respect to not be kept waiting as well?

Its_MurDAH said:
uhh...wouldn't you feel like you are owed a certain degree of respect to not be kept waiting as well?

I've waited for meetings with people many many times in my life, both academically and professionally. Believe it or not, you are not always the most important obligation an interviewer has. You are probably at most, a small footnote in this person's day planner. If it was my interview and was something important to me, I sure wouldn't have left after 15 minutes. So I guess my answer is no. That's just kind of real life.

you seem to be the only person on this board that understands interviews are a two way street. this school proved it didn't have what it takes for you to go there.

this is why you'll fare a lot better than these psycho pre-meds. groveling to get into a med school is not necessary. you'll fare a lot better if you make the school sell themselves to you. clearly, this one didn't.

you made the right choice, in my opinion.

mamd2be said:
I neglected to say... before I went to meet with her for the second time, the coordinator said she spoke to the interviewer and that she was in her office waiting for me.

The interview day isn't just for them to get to know us. It's also our chance to get to see them... its all about first impressions... and I was not impressed.

So how long should I have waited???? I could still be there, waiting for her to interview me the first time around if I didn't go hunt the coordinator down. I'm sorry but the interviewer not being present the second time around, is unacceptable.

Maybe I'm turning into an arogant jerk now that I've been accepted????

Tigerstang said:
you seem to be the only person on this board that understands interviews are a two way street. this school proved it didn't have what it takes for you to go there.

this is why you'll fare a lot better than these psycho pre-meds. groveling to get into a med school is not necessary. you'll fare a lot better if you make the school sell themselves to you. clearly, this one didn't.

you made the right choice, in my opinion.

It's a two way street if you have the numbers. Otherwise you are driving a mini-cooper the wrong way in the truck lane.

Maybe this should be a poll?

the negative 1 said:
Despite having acceptances on your belt, that is no excuse for your unprofessionalism and immature behavior.
:rolleyes: You guys are hurling insults left and right. I wouldn't have outright left, but it's not unprofessional or immature to leave. If you showed up to a lecture, and the professor wasn't there after 15 minutes, would you keep waiting? I'd leave.

Law2Doc said:
It's a two way street if you have the numbers. Otherwise you are driving a mini-cooper the wrong way in the truck lane.
Obviously, the OP has an acceptance already. If I receive any more interviews at this point, I'd consider turning them down unless it was one of my top choices. Schools want you too - it's not just one way.

TheProwler said:
:rolleyes: You guys are hurling insults left and right. I wouldn't have outright left, but it's not unprofessional or immature to leave. If you showed up to a lecture, and the professor wasn't there after 15 minutes, would you keep waiting? I'd leave.

Depends on the custom of the school. Some places have a "15 minute rule". But it's also different because you didn't explicitly agree to be there. And people cut classes all the time, but interviews - not so much... Schools in interviews try to gauge your interest in the school. If you leave after 15 minutes, either you are not interested, or you are one of the above adjectives. Either way, at that school you are probably done.

Everyone is saying "There was some medical emergency that kept calling the physician away" but I haven't actually seen any evidence of this. It's entirely possible that the person just had things to do they thought were more important.

And in my experience things like this don't happen much at schools where the admissions office is actually good. Using Emory as a random example, nobody's interviewer failed to come get them and the admissions office clearly had its stuff together every step of the way. Their organization and commitment to leaving a positive impression of their school made me view it more favorably. I'll refrain from bashing any schools, but I've seen plenty with the "take it or leave it" attitude that is reflected all the way down to the interviewers. I don't blame people for leaving it if they've got other acceptances at schools that actually seem to care.

dilated said:
Everyone is saying "There was some medical emergency that kept calling the physician away" but I haven't actually seen any evidence of this. It's entirely possible that the person just had things to do they thought were more important.

i so agree. we don't even know that this person is a doctor, so why would we assume that a medical emergency occurred. if you have to wait because an interviewer is running over in the prior interview, that's understandable. hell, it might even be good because it shows that the interviewer is interested in talking to candidates. if you have to wait just because an interviewer can't be bothered to show up on time, it reflects poorly on the school.